Have we heard the "Big Guns"?

Guest JohnUlmer

Guest JohnUlmer

Axl said they were saving the "big guns" but then in the RS interview, didn't he say his three favorite were The Blues, TWAT and Better?

We've heard two (seemingly near-complete) demos and a pretty accurate live version.

I love The Blues. I really do. I like TWAT. I think Better is catchy.

But if TWAT and Better are the "Big Guns," I think only The Blues (so far, in its live version) has the potential to be truly amazing.

I'd give Better about 4.5/5, TWAT 4/5, and The Blues 1,000,000/5.

Anyway... IF this was a marketing scheme by Axl and Co. - to help promote the music through the Internet and deliver something to satisfy the fans - it's likely they've delivered us the best stuff.

If these are Axl's favorite songs (as he said), and if these were purposely leaked and are the "Big Guns," it could be a bad sign.

On the other hand, if they released the tracks, Axl may have mentioned Better and TWAT in the RS interview knowing they planned on releasing these two tracks as demos onto the 'net - and perhaps they aren't really the "Big Guns."

Complex, eh?

I dunno - as far as I see it, this could be either a really good or pretty bad sign.

I do really like these new songs - and I AM keeping in mind they are just demos - but I don't think even as finished songs they'd match The Blues.

my .02

I heard the demo's of Use Your Illusions and was not impressed.

I think these new songs have potential.

I think the biggest 2 songs are unheard so far.

Axl told Madison the name of the first single...and it was not Better, TWAT or I.R.S.

and if i remember reading...."This I love" is suppose to be the next epic/november rain type song.

But we will just have to wait until Axl dies...and the record company releases the album.

Guest JohnUlmer

Yeah, I really look forward to Catcher in the Rye.

Considering so many established people have worked on this album and so much work has been put into it, I can't imagine it being bad. If it's got The Blues on it I'd already be willing to cough up $20. But I just am not sure if "Better" and "TWAT" are up to par with Blues, and I also have to wonder why - if there WASN'T some type of marketing scheme behind it - Axl would claim these three are his favorite (and two we haven't heard yet are mysteriously leaked right afterwards) when we keep hearing about Catcher and Thyme and all this other stuff that's supposedly really epic...?

I think the WORST aspect of this album is that the whole techno/industrial stuff we've heard on TWAT and Better will have a negative affect on the EMOTION of this album...I don't care if Buckethead has great technical skills; I want emotion in my music, and I didn't hear enough in '02. The Blues is the closest it came for me, but I still think Slash would have made that so much more powerful.

I've never said this until now - never - and I've been in full support for CD and Axl, but...after hearing these I'm just thinking the "power" of these songs will have to do more with an artistic element - technical perfection - rather than the moving guitar work in songs like "NR" and "Estranged."

Axl said they were saving the "big guns" but then in the RS interview, didn't he say his three favorite were The Blues, TWAT and Better?

We've heard two (seemingly near-complete) demos and a pretty accurate live version.

I love The Blues. I really do. I like TWAT. I think Better is catchy.

But if TWAT and Better are the "Big Guns," I think only The Blues (so far, in its live version) has the potential to be truly amazing.

I'd give Better about 4.5/5, TWAT 4/5, and The Blues 1,000,000/5.

Anyway... IF this was a marketing scheme by Axl and Co. - to help promote the music through the Internet and deliver something to satisfy the fans - it's likely they've delivered us the best stuff.

If these are Axl's favorite songs (as he said), and if these were purposely leaked and are the "Big Guns," it could be a bad sign.

On the other hand, if they released the tracks, Axl may have mentioned Better and TWAT in the RS interview knowing they planned on releasing these two tracks as demos onto the 'net - and perhaps they aren't really the "Big Guns."

Complex, eh?

I dunno - as far as I see it, this could be either a really good or pretty bad sign.

I do really like these new songs - and I AM keeping in mind they are just demos - but I don't think even as finished songs they'd match The Blues.

He did say he was holding the "big guns back" so that being said,he didn't hold The Blues back.

Maybe his other big gun would be "This I Love" or something like that..Doesn't "Seven" have an "big" arrangements done my Marco Beltrami or whatever his face is?

Honestly don't you guys think all the songs on this (these) cds will all be big guns? I mean he has spent a lot of time and effort on this album, I can guarentee (hope) that every song in this cd would become a huge hit in its own way, or is just a vital part of the album.

Just because Better, TWAT, and The Blues are his favs doesn't mean that they are the "big guns." Catcher in the Rye is supposed to be the be all end all of CD. We haven't heard the "big guns" yet I doubt. I'm really looking forward to hearing CITR and This I Love and also the studio version of The Blues, along with a complete Better.

I do think Axl mentioned these songs because he knew they would be leaked. Obviously I'm a conspiracy theorist and I think the leaks were to create hype on the eve of the album's launch...although I am surprised TWAT was among the leaks. Still, hearing about Better for the first time ever, only to have it leak weeks later and then all this news about concert dates and an impending release. Coincidence? I think not.

And no, I seriously doubt they are the big guns. Why would you leak your strongest tracks well before the album ever hits the street, and in demo form at that? It makes no sense. This only takes away from the impact of the album when it does come out. That is, unless there is a marked difference between the demos and the final tracks. Think November Rain...the demos sound nothing like the finished version. If that's the case here, it'll be like hearing a totally new song when we get to hear the studio version (for me that'll be the case anyhow as I've only listened to the IRS demo and I don't plan on listening to any others until I hear the studio versions).

Edited by KBear

i think twat is a big gun but better and blues are just his favorites cuz they are so damn enjoyable to sing or listen to. hopefully he has more big guns up his sleeves, so CD is even more brilliant. looking forward to hearing Catcher in the Rye and Prostitute, maybe those are big guns. or this i love, which is supposedly his heaviest work. w/e the case may be, im sure we have nothing to worry about with CD, everybody just chill and lets watch everything unfold as shit happens.

Better and The Blues definately can be considered big guns. Both are nothing short of amazing. Twat and IRS are both good and solid songs, but ill need to hear the studio versions before i judge either completely. All I know is that I am definately satisfied with what I've heard so far. Despite what some overly judgemental fans have to say, if the rest of the album is like this, it will be HUGE. Period.

Considering these leaks are "demos" i think each one has the potential to be very very good songs. I must say out of all the ones we've heard between the leaks and the live bootlegs that the blues, madagascar, and twat are my favorites. The only thing that concerns me is that even know there are these european festival dates being confirmed, there is still no official word on CD. In the RS interview axl said we would hear music this year, is it at all possible he said this knowing a leak of demos was going to happen? I hope more than anything all this buzz is just the beginning of something great, but after the 2002 fiasco I must say we can't get our hopes up. I think this is a good sign that confirms there is new music, and yes it does kick ass, but we just need to be patient. In my opinion they are actually doing the marketing right this time by creating some publicity. The whole reason that the 2002 US tour fell apart was because it was poorly promoted, poorly publicized, and there was no new material on the radio to excite people to go. thats my .02, rock on rock3

I think these songs are very sentimental to Axl and thats why he picks them as his favorites. The lyrics are very deep to all three of these songs, and they all seem to be about Stephanie Seymour. I think these songs were good ways to release the anger, the sadness, the betrayal, and emotion he felt about that relationship. I think that Better and TWAT are amazing, instant classics to me, and IRS is also a very strong song too. The guitar work in TWAT is very melodic and moving, there is a lot of emotion coming out of that guitar. And there is definately a lot of emotion coming out of Axl and thats what makes these songs so special, especially to him. To hear this work he has created from shitty situations he's been in, and to turn them into beautiful songs must be one of the greatest feelings in the world. Thats why I think he picked them as his favorites. Maybe not cause they are the "big guns", although I do think they are really really really strong songs, but because of the sentimental reasons.

Edited by ChineseIRS

Honestly, I'm very surprised with everyone's reaction to The Blues. I think it's an alright song, but it's not something I would consider amazing. Axl mentioned that he's held back the big guns, meaning whatever was played in 2002 was not an "it" song. Moreover, having played a lot of new songs to my friends who are NOT GnR fans, the three songs that seem receive the most attention are Madagascar, Better and There Was a Time. If I had to put money on it, I think that IRS and There Was a Time could both be consider "big guns." Neither were played in 2002, IRS has single written all over it, and There Was a Time harks back to the epic sound that was so prevelant in the Use Your Illusion albums. Almost everyong I know who isn't in to GNR didn't think much of the Blues. Not to say that this isn't a great song, but I would put it behind Madagascar, Better, IRS, and TWAT as they are far and away better songs. To me, the Blues falls off the rails after the second verse. But hey, that's just me.

In the end, it's all speculation until we hear the damn thing.

Well Estranged was his favourite G n R song and it didn't even make the greatest hits album, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Axl will have a more personal view on the songs than we do obviously, so that has to be factored into it.

I think Axl would probably have made each song wanting to make it as good as possible, so in that sense they're all "big guns". But it depends on whether you like the songs as to them being classed as big guns. Personally, if Maddy and The Blues inparticular aren't part of the "big guns" I'll be very surprised.

Grimo.