GNR & Motley Crue

madison

I definately dont want to see that happen. Mötley is out of GN'R's league, I hope its just one show, not others.

Agreed!! Motley Crue (like Aerosmith, Bon Jovi among others) has been writting and re-writting the same song over and over since the early 80's. It was fun back then, but it really gets tiresome. Those guys should stop embarrasing themselves and get get real jobs.

Axl has been continuously trying to re-invent himself and grow musically. It didn't always work (e.g. my world), but I respect that in him...it shows he is a true artist, not a fucking record company employee.

that's an ignorant-ass comment. you obviously haven't heard their self-titled album from '94 or Generation Swine from '97. most recently they had some new songs for Red, White and Crue and they don't sound like '80's retreads. all of Motley's albums have a different sound to them. they always change it up.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's an ignorant-ass comment. you obviously haven't heard their self-titled album from '94 or Generation Swine from '97. most recently they had some new songs for Red, White and Crue and they don't sound like '80's retreads. all of Motley's albums have a different sound to them. they always change it up.

If you look hard enough, you can find differences anywhere. 'Dirty, Rotten, Filthy Stinking Rich' had a different sound than 'Cherry Pie.' 'Look what the cat dragged in' had a different sound than 'Open up and say...Ah!'. But those are not differences that matter.

Yeah, sure, 'Dr. Feelgood' had a different sound than 'Shout at the Devil' (because, as I recall, they temporarily laid off the substance abuse), but the differences are ones that a decade later look quite minimal.

I confess I don't follow the Crue very closely anymore -- I haven't since Dr. Feelgood - but I do listen to their new stuff from time to time to see if they have managed to become musically interesting again and I've heard nothing to suggest they have.

Ignorant motherfucker. :fuckyou:

Edited by macunaima

If you look hard enough, you can find differences anywhere. 'Dirty, Rotten, Filthy Stinking Rich' had a different sound than 'Cherry Pie.' 'Look what the cat dragged in' had a different sound than 'Open up and say...Ah!'. But those are not differences that matter.

Yeah, sure, 'Dr. Feelgood' had a different sound than 'Shout at the Devil' (because, as I recall, they temporarily laid off the substance abuse), but the differences are ones that a decade later look quite minimal.

I confess I don't follow the Crue very closely anymore -- I haven't since Dr. Feelgood - but I do listen to their new stuff from time to time to see if they have managed to become musically interesting again and I've heard nothing to suggest they have.

Ignorant motherfucker. :fuckyou:

Main Entry: ig·no·rant

Pronunciation: 'ig-n(&-)r&nt

Function: adjective

1 a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>

2 : UNAWARE, UNINFORMED

back atchya :fuckyou:

Edited by artfromtex

1 a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>

It doesn't take a very close listen to know that Motley Crue continues to play the same 3-chord progression, that Vince continues to drink the same poison and that Nikki still uses the same hairspray. Motley Crue should be sharing a stage with the Jani Lane solo project instead of Guns n'fucking Roses.

:fuckyou:

Edited by macunaima

Apparently GNR will be sharing the stage with Motley Crue during the band's Dublin gig on June 9.

Not sure if this is one-time date - or if GNR will be touring with the Crue for more shows.

Your thoughts?

Would you like to see GNR tour with them or do you hope this is a one-time event?

Having the new Guns N' Roses playing with Motley Crue is like having the new Guns N' Roses playing with the original Guns N' Roses. As long as Axl and Vince don't fight, it should be fine.

Edited by Spike Killer

Having the new Guns N' Roses playing with Motley Crue is like having the new Guns N' Roses playing with the original Guns N' Roses.

Well, if the old GnR had been trying to duplicate AfD over and over for the past 20 years, then I don't think the two bands should be sharing the stage. One of them would suck ass.

It doesn't take a very close listen to know that Motley Crue continues to play the same 3-chord progression, that Vince continues to drink the same poison and that Nikki still uses the same hairspray. Motley Crue should be sharing a stage with the Jani Lane solo project instead of Guns n'fucking Roses.

:fuckyou:

that's just not true. sure, they have some songs with the "1-4-5" chord progression, but they have alot of stuff that goes way beyond that. and Gen. Swine was a great stylistic departure for them. remember, we are talking about rock bands here, not fucking Mozart. AC/DC has been making the same album forever and it still sounds great. "It's Only Rock N' Roll"!

Peace dude, we obviously see this differently. enjoy whatever it is you enjoy and I'll do the same.

Who cares who's supportin em, its GNR!

Who is up for camping outside ticket master n Cork Fri Night???? :)

Here's a better idea! Stay in the safety of your own home and buy the ticket from Ticketmaster.com :laugh:

Fuckin' Irish! Guns N' Roses get to bloody Scotland. Axl where did you get your kilt man?

that's just not true. sure, they have some songs with the "1-4-5" chord progression, but they have alot of stuff that goes way beyond that. and Gen. Swine was a great stylistic departure for them. remember, we are talking about rock bands here, not fucking Mozart. AC/DC has been making the same album forever and it still sounds great. "It's Only Rock N' Roll"!

Peace dude, we obviously see this differently. enjoy whatever it is you enjoy and I'll do the same.

Well, I actually don't think that AC/DC still sounds cool. With the exception of a few good songs they stopped being musically relevant after "For Those about to Rock..."

Peace. :fuckyou:

The ignoramus who said that all motley have done is tried to re-record the same album obviously hasn't listened to Generation Swine or the Motley Crue '94. Both of those albums were radically different

Anyway, Motely will be co-headlining a tour with Aerosmith later this year, so if they play on the same bill with GN'R it will likely be only at festivals.

axl rose and vince neil sharing the stage?!?!?!??! WTF!! if this is true this is huge!! i wonder what will happen with that...i could never see motley crue agreeing to do this or axl...but wow...when i first saw this on blabbermouth i went nuts!! i personally think this is huge for rock n roll!

Motley Crue are not washed up. they had the #9 grossing tour of 2005. they're about to put out a new album as well. don't lump them in with the Poisons and the Warrants of the world. they were more than just a cut above that. they were highly influential in the '80's and GNR might not have ever gotten a record deal if it wasn't for the Crue's popularity. and remember this, Tom Zutaut, the guy who discovered GNR, was the guy that brought the Crue to Elektra records some 5 or 6 years earlier. they came from the same scene, so if you lump the Crue in with those cheesy copycat bands, then put GNR in there as well. if you were around back then, you should know all this. if your one of the younger GNR fans on this board you gotta realize if there had been no Crue there would have been no GNR.

in response to Maddy's question, i believe this has to be a one time deal, because the Crue are going in the studio in May. this must be just a one-off gig for them. probably getting some good $$$ money to appear. that's probably the same reason Axl and Vince will be at the same venue WILLINGLY!! with that being said though, wouldn't it be cool if they buried the hatchet? it would be great for Rock N' Roll if GNR and Crue could tour the US together in '07.

totally agree,

don't lump them in with the Poisons and the Warrants of the world, or Stryper ot Ratt or Cinderella or WASP or ......

the Crue are actually memorable and good

You're gonna diss Crue for writing rock songs that primarily use the tonal scale degrees? Shit man, that's a weak ass arguement to make against a rock band. The I, IV, V progression is the basis of western popular music.

For example, the last four minutes of the "brilliant epic" Estranged is pretty much that. He throws in the key's relative minor for part of it. Big fucking deal. It ain't Stravinsky. Everything Axl tried to do musically on UYI has been done by other rock bands plenty of times. But Axl thought if he stretched it out to 10 minutes instead of three and added a dolphin orgy that it somehow became high art. I don't buy it.

I think a song like My Michelle is way better written than something like Estranged or November Rain. Better riffs, better chorus, tighter, more focused song writing. Granted, on UYI he started incorporating tons of Meatloaf-esque over the top orchestration. If you dig that stuff, then great. Personally, I think it's a lot like all the added special effects in the Star Wars reissues. Lots of blinking lights and shiney things, but it doesn't make the song any better to me. Any hack producer can beef up a simple rock song with some strings and horns. It ain't that hard to voice the same chords the guitar's playing for a few other instruments.

If you like the Wall better than Dark Side, Let it Be over Hard Day's Night or Welcome to My Nightmare more than Love It To Death, then you'd probably like UYI more than AFD. Just personal taste I guess.

great post.