GNR & Motley Crue

madison

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're gonna diss Crue for writing rock songs that primarily use the tonal scale degrees? Shit man, that's a weak ass arguement to make against a rock band. The I, IV, V progression is the basis of western popular music.

For example, the last four minutes of the "brilliant epic" Estranged is pretty much that. He throws in the key's relative minor for part of it. Big fucking deal. It ain't Stravinsky. Everything Axl tried to do musically on UYI has been done by other rock bands plenty of times. But Axl thought if he stretched it out to 10 minutes instead of three and added a dolphin orgy that it somehow became high art. I don't buy it.

I think a song like My Michelle is way better written than something like Estranged or November Rain. Better riffs, better chorus, tighter, more focused song writing. Granted, on UYI he started incorporating tons of Meatloaf-esque over the top orchestration. If you dig that stuff, then great. Personally, I think it's a lot like all the added special effects in the Star Wars reissues. Lots of blinking lights and shiney things, but it doesn't make the song any better to me. Any hack producer can beef up a simple rock song with some strings and horns. It ain't that hard to voice the same chords the guitar's playing for a few other instruments.

If you like the Wall better than Dark Side, Let it Be over Hard Day's Night or Welcome to My Nightmare more than Love It To Death, then you'd probably like UYI more than AFD. Just personal taste I guess.

great post.

:fuckyou:

You're gonna diss Crue for writing rock songs that primarily use the tonal scale degrees? Shit man, that's a weak ass arguement to make against a rock band. The I, IV, V progression is the basis of western popular music.

For example, the last four minutes of the "brilliant epic" Estranged is pretty much that. He throws in the key's relative minor for part of it. Big fucking deal. It ain't Stravinsky. Everything Axl tried to do musically on UYI has been done by other rock bands plenty of times. But Axl thought if he stretched it out to 10 minutes instead of three and added a dolphin orgy that it somehow became high art. I don't buy it.

I think a song like My Michelle is way better written than something like Estranged or November Rain. Better riffs, better chorus, tighter, more focused song writing. Granted, on UYI he started incorporating tons of Meatloaf-esque over the top orchestration. If you dig that stuff, then great. Personally, I think it's a lot like all the added special effects in the Star Wars reissues. Lots of blinking lights and shiney things, but it doesn't make the song any better to me. Any hack producer can beef up a simple rock song with some strings and horns. It ain't that hard to voice the same chords the guitar's playing for a few other instruments.

If you like the Wall better than Dark Side, Let it Be over Hard Day's Night or Welcome to My Nightmare more than Love It To Death, then you'd probably like UYI more than AFD. Just personal taste I guess.

great post.

man, you like the :fuckyou: smiley don't you? :P

I agree, this is why I prefer Appetite and Lies to UYI and it's probably why I'll prefer the new VR album to ChiDem (though I'm not sure as of yet). Mr Brownstone beats November Rain and Estranged in my eyes. It's also why Coma is such a great song, no bloody orchestras and no over the top fancy stuff.

man, you like the :fuckyou: smiley don't you? :P

yeah

Wow, YOU ARE (fuckin' happy? cunt) a useless individual. Shame on your parents. Oh and... :fuckyou: Dig it buddy!

Props to everyone who has not dropped to his level...unfortunately I have. :drevil:

Edited by Slash66

OUTTAGETME WILL BE AT BOTH THE DUBLIN AND THE DONNINGTON SHOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I just bought my plane tickets. We ought to have an official mygnrforum.com camp out section and all party together during the Download Festival shows!!! If anyone is interested in this, please send me a message. This will be my first trip across the pond.

CHINESE DEMOCRACY STARTS NOW!!!

OUTTAGETME WILL BE AT BOTH THE DUBLIN AND THE DONNINGTON SHOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I just bought my plane tickets. We ought to have an official mygnrforum.com camp out section and all party together during the Download Festival shows!!! If anyone is interested in this, please send me a message. This will be my first trip across the pond.

CHINESE DEMOCRACY STARTS NOW!!!

Dude! You're flying all the way from Atlanta, Georgia for this? I sure hope Axl doesn't let everyone down again. You'll be able to get your concert ticket refunded, but not your plane ticket. Good luck. :(

I was a bit negative about having Crue opening for GN'R but I changed my mind...

If Axl is accepting Motley Crue as openers, it could mean he has dropped the idea of turning his back on the roots of GN'R...

It's better to have the Crue as openers instead of some fuckin' DJ, or some fusion hiphoppers. Or Weezer.

Motley Crue and Guns N' Roses are the best Rock bands still going FACT

No, they're not. While GNR may deserve that accolade because their music has stood the test of time, Motley Crue are nothing more than 80s rejects. In the 80s they epitomised glam rock and hair metal. They never transcended the genre they were placed in, unlike GNR. They are now glam rock refugees who attract a few nostalgic cunts who wish we were still in 1987. They're absolute jokers. Their songs sould have been written by a five year old - no joke.

Without you, there's no change

My nights and days are grey

If I reached out and touched the rain

It just wouldn't feel the same

Without you, I'd be lost

I'd slip down from the top

I'd slide down so low

Girl you'd never, never know...

It's god-damn fucking travesty that they're even going to be allowed to share a stage with Axl Rose and the new gunners. I would far rather see GNR tour with one of the quality British rock bands that are around at the moment - Babyshambles maybe - than see them with a load of never-weres singing songs even more clichéd, immature and inane than the one above.

Those Motely Crue cunts should crawl back into their pop/reality TV careers or just jump in front of a truck and save us all the agony of watching them!

No, they're not. While GNR may deserve that accolade because their music has stood the test of time, Motley Crue are nothing more than 80s rejects. In the 80s they epitomised glam rock and hair metal. They never transcended the genre they were placed in, unlike GNR. They are now glam rock refugees who attract a few nostalgic cunts who wish we were still in 1987. They're absolute jokers. Their songs sould have been written by a five year old - no joke.

Without you, I'd be lost

I'd slide down so low

It's god-damn fucking travesty that they're even going to be allowed to share a stage with Axl Rose and the new gunners.

AMEN

Edited by macunaima

which festival is this?Download?

no offense man but this is a very dumb question...lol...read the thread name and all the info that has come along with it...why would you wonder if this is download??

Ehh because the topic is something like "GNR&Motley crue" "whats you toughts"

So wheres the info about which festival it is...Iam assuming its DOwnload as Donnigten is in england.

And you dident answear my question. Is it? :xmassrudolph:

Motley Crue and Guns N' Roses are the best Rock bands still going FACT

Without you, I'd be lost

I'd slide down so low

It's god-damn fucking travesty that they're even going to be allowed to share a stage with Axl Rose and the new gunners. I would far rather see GNR tour with one of the quality British rock bands that are around at the moment - Babyshambles maybe - than see them with a load of never-weres singing songs even more clichéd, immature and inane than the one above.

Those Motely Crue cunts should crawl back into their pop/reality TV careers or just jump in front of a truck and save us all the agony of watching them!

Fuck off you little prick. Hmm Motley Crue or Babyshambles what a toughie i have no idea who is the better band out of these two. Babyshambles :lol:, fuck off

Without you, I'd be lost

I'd slide down so low

It's god-damn fucking travesty that they're even going to be allowed to share a stage with Axl Rose and the new gunners.

AMEN

Have to agree...Dident know who motley was until a neighbor broth them in to the world a couple a years ago..I tought it was a new german rock band, their music just dont do it for me..

Theres something missing in theire music.

Some songs are okey