Solo Vs. Solo

New Rose

Comfortably Numb vs. Hotel California  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I was listening to both tracks today, both have excellent solos, without a doubt the best in the history of solos.

It got me thinking which one do I like the most, I am a fan of both bands, tho Floyd is my 3rd fav. band. Both start very raw and energetic and maintain the energy throughout the solo.

However, I wondered a few mins there, thinking which one I like the best, and I've got to say it's a closecall, but Hotel California wins this one. It starts better than Comf. Numb and I just love the harmonized guitars, great work with the solo, and the fading is awesome.

Tho, if it would be live, Comf. Numb would win it for me.

How bout you? Discuss!

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I would have to argue that "All Along the Watchtower" is better than both of these, and I'll spare the stairway for all the Zep heads that will end up arguing with you.

The solos are very different, "Numb" is essentially a blues solo, while "Hotel" is multi-tracked and almost classical.

I really don't know which I prefer, I'll listen to them both and come back.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

When I think "Comfortably Numb" I sing the song, the solo isn't even the high point for me.

As for "Hotel California", the solo is superior to the rest.

Still not choosing however.

I love songs that fade into looong solos, like Alive by Pearl Jam, Comfortably Numb, Hotel California, Nightrain (not very long but I love it), While My Guitar Gently Weeps, etc ...

But Comfortably Numb is simply out of this world. That starting notes after the last chorus get me every time.

Guest zipgunboogie

yes i think your right. you listen more to the harmonies than the solo its self. they are 2 really good songs but arent songs your really think of a solo. ill just say there are other songs i would have piced