NIN -- And Chinese Democracy?

madison

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know a lot about NIN. Can anyone reccomend some songs that rock?

If you're going to listen to albums, I'd start with "Pretty Hate Machine" and "Downward Spiral." The band's live album, "And All That Could Have Been" is the best live album I've ever heard from any band though.

If you just want to listen to individual tracks first, then I'd recommend "Terrible Lie," "Closer," (Live version from the "And All That Could Have Been" album), "Head LIke A Hole," "The Wretched," "We're In This Together," "Wish," "No You Don't," "That's What I Get," "Into the Void," "Gave Up," "Something I Could Never Have," "Sin," "The Fragile," "Day the world went Away," "Hurt," "Sanctified," "Happiness In Slavery," and "Kinda I want to." This is a good mix of harder rock songs and ballads.

Then, of course, there's the latest album "With Teeth." On it, I like "Line Begins To Blur," "Only," "Getting Smaller" and "Right Where It Belongs" the best.

Cheers. I'll check some of them out. I'll do it in the order you posted them. :laugh:

Jings you posted a whole bunch. But I'll do it. You made the effort so I shall too.

The "other stars", although I like them a lot, just look like a bunch of washed-up loosers and even the best material they produced can't even compare to the worst demo put on by Axl and co (I dig VR, but they're definitely not in the same league as Guns).

well said Bach... :) we wouldn't have songs like "Better" and "TWAT" if the so called (Stars from the past) were in GNR today!....their in to that Bluesy toned down stuff......<<< Nothing wrong with that,... but to be honest...I get bored to death when I hear another solo coming from Slash's outdated Guitar sound.

Yeah, cuz songs like Estranged, Rocket Queen, Brownstone, Jungle, November Rain, Patience, Nightrain, The Garden, Yesterdays...they all just suck, don't they? God I hate when one of those songs comes on.

If the new band's songs even approach the quality of these, it'll be fantastic. And if You Got No Right is outdated guitar sound, not to mention the songs I've listed above, then I hope I'm stuck in the past forever. If you really dig a song one day, why would you tire of it the next? It hasn't changed.

The Blues is not groudbreaking by any stretch of the imagination and yet I for one love it.

Why are you so hung up on what it current and what is dated? Good music is timeless. And a lot of what passes as modern music nowadays is garbage. Doing something new is great but that doesn't automatically mean it's good, and even if it is that doesn't mean that what has come before is automatically worthless.

Guns n' Roses is sort of an All-Star team,

:blink:

The only star in GN'R is Axl. The other stars left some time ago.

those "other stars who left" are either washed up or junkies or both

If you would have seen this band for yourself in 2002 you would know what we are talking about. Everyone in the band is the best at what they do and thats why they are working with Axl. These guys will all shine in their own unique way on the album and next tour.

Just my personal point of view:

I think Axl have lost his way in these recording and that CD will turn out to be a very un shaped thing. Axl said it will contain very different songs, its very difficult making a very various album with a lot of different songs/styles and find that red tread of sound thru it.

I dont remember but in 2002 or 2003 they still wasent satisfied with the producer work and all the studio gear was packed away cause Interscope lost some some intrest and patience after they ended the tour.

I have also read that Axl was working on CD in a studio down in California vally after that, i seriously doubt he has pruduced this in his own living room.

I dont think Better and TWAT is even close to The blues and Madagascar, so i hope those demos was a some years old, but they are growing. The part were the classic R&R riff is transformed into metal riff in Better after 2.22min is fucking huge.

But anyway what product Axl have by this time he has to give it out, i feel sorry for him if he is not pleased with what he have made so far.. But anyway i support it when it comes out.

I must say iam a littel worried/curious about the outcome of CD and i belive NIN is sharing this vision with me.

(The way i understand that NIN picture with Chinese democracy over that door can only be ironic.

They try to tell that CD needs more time in the studio or said in another way CD belongs in studio forever. Its some kind of ugly smile Trent and the guy at the left give us.

It could also be seen as "when CD comes out we (NIN) have to hide backstage because the door out to the stage can only be passed by GNR members, but we (NIN) knows that you the fan would be loyal.

Or maby they try to gain some public about showing this, cause its only getting NIN fans intrested in GNR. But for a band that uses more time telling fans that they dont like grammys insted of using time in the studio...i may guess wrong.

I think that the recent leaks of IRS, BETTER, TWAT all sound very good together.

I think they all have a good sound together and compliment each other well.

Guess I am disagreeing based on what I've heard thus far. But then, I also put Better at the top of the heap even including the Blues and Mad etc.. :rolleyes:

I mentioned a couple times (both were quickly deleted) that it would be cool if a new GNR track such as IRS (mafia/IRS, get it?) were used in the season premier of the Sopranos on March 12. Well I saw the trailer for the new Sopranos last night and NIN was used for the background music. Just a coincidence worth pointing out. The combo of NIN and GNR on the final season soundtrack would be great.

Don't know why some people here love to overhype Nine Inch Nails.

They are a decent band with 3 or 4 good songs,nothing special.

3 or 4 good radio airplay songs... IE... appropriate to play on the air. A lot of NIN's stuff was never released to the mainstream in the form of singles and what not because of Trent's public dislike of the mainstream. He puts out just enough in the way of singles to keep the regular fan interested.

I felt the same way you did before I saw them live back in 95/96. Didn't think NIN was anything special... just a decent band with a few good tunes on the radio. BUT, after seeing them live my opinion completely changed. No other group IN THE WORLD has the same kind of energy that NIN brings to the stage. And a NIN concert is more like a production of a play... one big presentation, two and a half hours long.

The music you don't hear on the radio is better than what you do hear on the radio.

I suggest to any casual NIN fan to go out and listen to the albums 'Broken' and then 'The Downward Spiral' in full, in that order to really get the hype surrounding Trent Reznor. Then, if you can, catch them live for shits and giggles.

BTW- everyone thinks the crowd would all be goth people everywhere... which couldn't be farther from the truth. A NIN crowd has a little of that, but for the most part it's 20,000 average, normal Joe's. I'm a huge GNR fan, love Floyd and also appreciate NIN on the same level. You just have to give it a chance and listen to some of the albums and ESPECIALLY catch a show.

Trent's biggest influence, musically, is Pink Floyd. Axl Rose in part is influenced by Trent with his work on CD. If you like Floyd, and you like GNR, you gotta check out NIN.

Iam a littel worried/curious about the outcome of CD and i belive NIN is sharing this vision with me.

(The way i understand that NIN picture with Chinese democracy over that door can only be ironic.

They try to tell that CD needs more time in the studio or said in another way CD belongs in studio forever. Its some kind of ugly smile Trent and the guy at the left give us.

It could also be seen as "when CD comes out we (NIN) have to hide backstage because the door out to the stage can only be passed by GNR members, but we (NIN) knows that you the fan would be loyal.

Or maby they try to gain some public about showing this, cause its only getting NIN fans intrested in GNR. But for a band that uses more time telling fans that they dont like grammys insted of using time in the studio...i may guess wrong.