from blabbermouth

there is no dana only zool

after reading this article, it is my opinion that Herald contributer "Blagg" can drink liquified dogshit:

[source]: blabbermouth.net

Report: Leaked GUNS N' ROSES Songs Are 'Not AXL ROSE's Best' - Feb. 24, 2006

Christopher Blagg of the Boston Herald is reporting that Boson's WAAF was one of the first radio stations to air the recently leaked tunes from GUNS N' ROSES upcoming "Chinese Democracy" album, playing them for several days until lawyers for GN'R frontman Axl Rose called and asked the station to stop.

WAAF listeners were enthusiastic about the songs, according to Program Director Ron Valeri. "The intrigue around the material is massive, a lot of curiosity," he told the Boston Herald. "Everyone’s got an opinion, but I'd say overall (reaction) was favorable."

The Herald writer Blagg heard three of the songs on Thursday (Feb. 23), and described them as "not Axl's best. The new tunes lack the muscle and drive of classic GN'R, the melodies are forgettable and the new industrial/electronica accents sound forced, as if Rose is desperately trying to keep up with the kids."

GN'R has been working on "Chinese Democracy" for at least eight years — will it finally be released this year? Valeri thinks the band’s plans to tour Europe this summer — and the timing of the song leaks — are hints that it will.

"Many are theorizing that it was Axl who made this stuff available," he said. "Frankly, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Put a feeler in the water, see how much attention you get from the media. I think he's probably got to feel pretty good about this."

ok... in short, this author is clearly just another one of those people that thinks the only GN'R record to have ever existed was Appetite For Destruction... I would even venture to say that he is your typical vintage-rock-shirt, Deasel-jeans wearing, highly opinionated/musically uneducated trendo-maniac that considers GN'R "hair metal."

the problem with his critique of the songs; saying they lack "muscle" is that he is forgetting that having muscle is not a prerequisite to a great song... did november rain have any "muscle?" How about Patience or Don't Cry? Nope... still contributed greatly toward the winning of Grammys though...

you decide.

(haha i'm sorry but you just can't mess with my Axl and expect me not to bite back hard)

I think he's referring to Slash as the "muscle" ..... :lol:

No worries.....this wont be the first critic to whine like a bitch....OMG, there is no Slash....there for the record doesnt have enough MUSCLE! ..... That crappy bluesy muscle......them old outdated solo MUSCLE! :lol:

Has this guy heard Cuntraband by any chance? :lol:

I think he's referring to Slash as the "muscle" ..... :lol:

No worries.....this wont be the first critic to whine like a bitch....OMG, there is no Slash....there for the record doesnt have enough MUSCLE! ..... That crappy bluesy muscle......them old outdated solo MUSCLE! :lol:

Has this guy heard Cuntraband by any chance? :lol:

hahah i like funeral's take on things... i think you and i could get along just fine haha.

This article is interesting because it hasn't been written by a diehard GNR fan.

Perhaps the GNR fans should be preparing to get used to this when reading things from a rather neutral point of view.

Don't expect from journalists' reviews :"Ah! Axl what a genius ! Chinese Democracy is absolutely unbelievable ! Best record ever !". If you read that, there must be some irony.

Edited by Alan Niveen

Perhaps the GNR fans should be preparing to get used to this when reading things from a rather neutral point of view.

I am prepared - have to, because my girlfriend is no GNR-fan and in fact a pretty harsh critic of music. So I am forced to accept the view of "normal" people. :)

But nevertheless there is a difference between a good, solid critic and simple bashing. I'm really curious of the official reviews in the big magazines.

The electronic parts are critical to the new sound in my view, I love them. They don't sound forced at all and only somone comparing this to AFD and thinking anything DIFFERENT sucks would say the things in this article. I also don;t see any mention that these are rough quality demo versions which is a BIG thing to keep in mind. Maybe Axl slept with this guys girlfriend or something...

Anyway, my wife is no guns fan at all and she went crazy over Better, She had me burn the three new tracks so she could listen to them in her car on the way to work this morning...IRS and TWAT are so so on her list but better, she can't get enough of. I agree with her, Better is one of the best songs from Guns ever (My opinion) It's got a bit of everything in it.

The electronic parts are critical to the new sound in my view, I love them. They don't sound forced at all and only somone comparing this to AFD and thinking anything DIFFERENT sucks would say the things in this article. I also don;t see any mention that these are rough quality demo versions which is a BIG thing to keep in mind. Maybe Axl slept with this guys girlfriend or something...

Anyway, my wife is no guns fan at all and she went crazy over Better, She had me burn the three new tracks so she could listen to them in her car on the way to work this morning...IRS and TWAT are so so on her list but better, she can't get enough of. I agree with her, Better is one of the best songs from Guns ever (My opinion) It's got a bit of everything in it.

I need a wife like yours.... does she have any sister??????

the problem with his critique of the songs; saying they lack "muscle" is that he is forgetting that having muscle is not a prerequisite to a great song... did november rain have any "muscle?" How about Patience or Don't Cry? Nope... still contributed greatly toward the winning of Grammys though...

I didn't know Axl won a Grammy.

I didn't know Axl won a Grammy.

GNR were nominated thrice, afaik, but the only awards they *won* were at VMAs and AMA(s)...

But I don't think any of those grammy nominations included the ballads mentioned above.

November Rain won some VMAs, but that's a whole different thing from a Grammy...

The big guns couldn't get leaked... Axl's got them guarded by dudes with AK47's!

good point, Im thinking they leaked some teasers, but not the big guns.

Same with Madagascar and The Blues... good, solid tracks that are good to play live. Perfect to ease your new material into a new era.

Man you guys need to relax. Not everyone is going to fall all over themselves for anything Axl touches. It's nothing personal from these reviewers. I think saying it doesn't have the muscle of AFD is a compliment. Not too many artists or records ever have reached that level. I think Axl is creating a lot of pressure on himself to grow and not do AFD II so of course some of it is going to sound forced. But I just hope Axl doesn't forget his roots totally and realize it IS okay just to rock and let it rip without fear of sounding like AFD II at times. I think these are some of the demons he faces.