"TWAT (There Was A Time)" Discussion Thread

Tamatt27

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TWAT IS SOLID, BUT TO ME, I MAY HAVE HEARD IT EITHER ON ILLUSIONS OR A DIFFERENT BAND DOING SOMETHING SIMILAR

BETTER IS COMPLETELY ON A DIFFERENT LEVEL TO ME. ONE OF THOSE SONGS THAT ONLY AXL ROSE COULD PULL OFF. AND I THINK THE GUITARS GET SO HEAVY FOR A REASON - KIND OF A F*CK YOU TO SLASH

FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS I WAS IN TOTAL AGREEMENT WITH ROSE THAT THE NEW ALBUM SHOULD NOT SOUND LIKE APPETITE AND I'M HAPPY TO SAY BETTER WAS EVERYTHING I WAS WAITING FOR -

TWAT was my least favorite track when I first heard it, but it grew on me a lot. I just adore it now, and keep humming it everywhere. Now all my friends say is "What the fuck is that song you're humming? What happened to 'Welcome to the Jungle'?!"

Guys, I love the new material as much as anyone else, but let's get something straight, an EPIC song is not just EPIC because the song is LONG, it's epic because of the overall quality of the song. In the world of GNR, I see epics like Estranged, November Rain and Coma much differently than a song like TWAT.

TWAT is by far the weakest of the new songs because it simply lacks focus...Even Axl seems lost on how to sing the damn thing. He is sometimes high, sometimes low, sometimes way too high and it makes you cringe. Also, where as the songs from the previous albums build to a climatic crescendo at the end, TWAT sort of trudges through a 3-minute outro that has some very cool guitar work here and there and Axl's primordial scream helps things out, but it just doesn't come together enough.

Ultimately, the song lacks any focused melody and that is why it sounds like such a mess. Don't believe me, Rolling Stones felt the same way and everyone I play the song for has had the same conclusion. The part Axl needs to fix is the beginning, maybe eliminate a few of the orchestrations and bring the lyrics forward a bit more, maybe add a chorus in there or something.

I still think Axl's real epics on the album are going to be This I love and The General...

Guys, I love the new material as much as anyone else, but let's get something straight, an EPIC song is not just EPIC because the song is LONG, it's epic because of the overall quality of the song. In the world of GNR, I see epics like Estranged, November Rain and Coma much differently than a song like TWAT.

TWAT is by far the weakest of the new songs because it simply lacks focus...Even Axl seems lost on how to sing the damn thing. He is sometimes high, sometimes low, sometimes way too high and it makes you cringe. Also, where as the songs from the previous albums build to a climatic crescendo at the end, TWAT sort of trudges through a 3-minute outro that has some very cool guitar work here and there and Axl's primordial scream helps things out, but it just doesn't come together enough.

Ultimately, the song lacks any focused melody and that is why it sounds like such a mess. Don't believe me, Rolling Stones felt the same way and everyone I play the song for has had the same conclusion. The part Axl needs to fix is the beginning, maybe eliminate a few of the orchestrations and bring the lyrics forward a bit more, maybe add a chorus in there or something.

I still think Axl's real epics on the album are going to be This I love and The General...

All that will be fixed by a good producer. They can be key in adding focus to songs where artists tend to indulge. Added parts like strings and horn ala Illusions tracks are added later as well.The finished product of TWAT could be EPIC indeed. We won't know for sure until it's out but it's still possible to see a big change in it. The demos for November Rain, Estranged etc....probably didn't sound like the final versions either.

:krider:

Edited by mcalldp

• 3 weeks later...

THE GUITAR SOLOS ON TWAT ARE PRETTY AMAZING

ANYONE ELSE LOVE EM'?

Nah, they're not anything special.

Finck's solo on Better is the best solo on the new songs.

i think the new solos are awesomw.

which one is the fink solo in better? first one?

i like the first solo in twat more than the second

isnt it fink too?

THE GUITAR SOLOS ON TWAT ARE PRETTY AMAZING

ANYONE ELSE LOVE EM'?

Nah, they're not anything special.

Finck's solo on Better is the best solo on the new songs.

which one is the fink solo in better? first one?

The slower one. It goes something like this:

WEEEEEUWEEEEEEU, DEDÖDÄDÖDÄDÅDIDÅDÄDI,WEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUWEEEEEEEEEEEEU.............

Do you know which solo I'm talking about now??

this song is easily my fave out of the 3, but the chorus sucks ass, i hope it's changed (the wrong time part).

it's crazy, but if i start the song, i just HAVE to listen all the way through.

i'm still waiting for some new riffs... every song is too keyboard driven.

it shows axl still has it, but im still waiting for a gnr rocker, and im not completely convinced the new band can do one. They can do rockers just not gnr style

the more you listen, the better it gets. Its just the forst 2 mins that need improving, but after that, its got the epic sound to it, definately. Would love to see slash do that solo though instead. but still, very good song.

Edited by slashplay

TWAT is the best of all the leaked tracks...by far. Just my opinion. I don't think it's even close. IRS is pretty average. Better is sort of catchy/poppy, but when I heard it I was like, "WTF is this shit??" I'll admit that it's catchy, though.

TWAT is by far the most 'GnRish' of the tracks, and it's definitely got the epic feel to it. I don't understand how the reviews of the leaks have mentioned this one as an also-ran and rave about songs like 'Better.' To me, TWAT really stands out as the best of all the new tracks, and might just rank up there with the older stuff.

I can't really comment cuz I'm not listening to the leaks (yet). Except for I.R.S. I think IRS rocks. Axl goin crazy at the end and the guitar is amazing while Axl sings over it. Incredible if you ask me. And so many people on here think IRS is average. I don't know what you are expecting but I loved IRS. Can't wait to hear the others.