Rhythm Guitarist

Guest zipgunboogie

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Wait, what exactly is this thread about? I mean, are we just listing rythm guitarists? Or is it a list of who we think is the best, or who is our favorite?

Either way, I'm sticking with Hetfield. But really, what is this thread about?

General discussion about rhythm guitarists.

How about Tony Iommi?

Some of the greatest rhythm guitarists are better known for their lead playing, and the truly great players can do both very well.

Jimi Hendrix was a brilliant and revolutionary rhythm guitarist, he played in speeds and rhythms previously unexplored, a good example would be "Manic Depression".

Tony Iommi is a brilliant and revolutionary rhythm guitarist as well, no one played heavy, sludgy riffs the way he did previously.

I think of Eddie Van Halen as a rhythm guitarist first and foremost, his rhythmic precision is awe-inspiring. Not many guitarists could have played "Drop Dead Legs" the way he did.

Randy Rhoads, hey listen to "Crazy Train", pretty close to thrash on the verse.

Jimmy Page, "Black Dog" among many others, if you like LZ you have to consider his rhythm guitar playing.

I could go on and on.

Another reason these guitarists were so great was the fact that they were self-reliant, it is much harder to support a group without an additional guitarist.

Think of it this way, you may consider Malcolm Young, Izzy Stradlin, or Keith Richards to be great rhythm guitarists (and they certainly are), but they had much easier positions in their groups than the players mentioned previously.

Pete Townshend is sort of the exception to all of this, because he was the sole guitarist in The Who and is thought of as a rhythm player by most.

Think of it this way, you may consider Malcolm Young, Izzy Stradlin, or Keith Richards to be great rhythm guitarists (and they certainly are), but they had much easier positions in their groups than the players mentioned previously.

Not many people know this, but Malcolm Young absolutely kicks Angus's ass in both lead and rhythm playing. He lets Angus takes the spotlight though. He's a team player is Mal

Not many people know this, but Malcolm Young absolutely kicks Angus's ass in both lead and rhythm playing. He lets Angus takes the spotlight though. He's a team player is Mal

I believe it.