Didn't We Hear 1/2 of UYI Before It Came Out?

theredrobber

After reading the Lisa Reed "December 23rd" comment and many other postings by people who don't want to hear "too much" of the new material before it is remastered forget that we heard half of both UYI albums before they came out. This was 16 years ago before the internet was even around.

Consider this:

There are 30 songs between both albums. As for me personally, I heard the following months or years before they were tweaked and remastered:

Right Next Door To Hell: Heard live on the spring/summer '91 tour

Dust N Bones: '91 tour

Live And Let Die: '91 tour (not to mention knowing the song through Paul McCartney)

Don't Cry: Heard in '87 at their Cleveland gig and on numerous early bootlegs

Bad Obsession: '91 tour

Back Off Bitch: On numerous bootleg and demo lps

Double Talkin Jive: '91 tour

November Rain: '91 tour & many early bootlegs

Coma: '91 tour

Civil War: '91 tour and the benefit album that it was first released on

14 Years: '91 tour

Knockin On Heaven's Door: '87 & '91 tours along with Ritz video & many bootlegs

Estranged: '91 tour

You Could Be Mine: '91 tour and Terminator 2 soundtrack

That's 14 songs! You probably shouldn't count the alternative version of Don't Cry or My World (not the whole band playing), so over half of both albums were heard before they came out. In fact, when I saw them in Cleveland in '87 they also played Patience, You're Crazy" (acoustic) & "Used To Love Her" a year before "Lies" came out! I'm sure that people in LA got to hear much of AFD before it came out.

The bottom line seems to be clear that Axl has always "leaked" his songs way before they were mass released. Now we have the internet to find them with.I don't think this hurts the integrity of the tunes at all and it definately doesn't hurt future album sales. All it does is give us fans a chance to hear music evolve from ideas to demos to finished product. So for me personally what does it hurt to have a little "Appetizer For Destruction" every now and then!

After reading the Lisa Reed "December 23rd" comment and many other postings by people who don't want to hear "too much" of the new material before it is remastered forget that we heard half of both UYI albums before they came out. This was 16 years ago before the internet was even around.

Consider this:

There are 30 songs between both albums. As for me personally, I heard the following months or years before they were tweaked and remastered:

Live And Let Die: '91 tour (not to mention knowing the song through Paul McCartney)

That's 14 songs! You probably shouldn't count the alternative version of Don't Cry or My World (not the whole band playing), so over half of both albums were heard before they came out. In fact, when I saw them in Cleveland in '87 they also played Patience, You're Crazy" (acoustic) & "Used To Love Her" a year before "Lies" came out! I'm sure that people in LA got to hear much of AFD before it came out.

The bottom line seems to be clear that Axl has always "leaked" his songs way before they were mass released. Now we have the internet to find them with.I don't think this hurts the integrity of the tunes at all and it definately doesn't hurt future album sales. All it does is give us fans a chance to hear music evolve from ideas to demos to finished product. So for me personally what does it hurt to have a little "Appetizer For Destruction" every now and then!

Some radio stations played the album version of Bad Apples on the air before UYI came out. Not a very good song to choose but I guess its all they had.

I saw them perform in Hampton, VA shortly before UYI was released and they played many of the songs from those albums that night - and I'm sure they were played on other nights as well. Remember the tour started before the albums were released. Some of those shows were bootlegged on video and sold in some independent music stores in my area. So the songs were heard both live and on the vhs bootlegs. Not to mention many of the tapes that were going around months ealier with a rough version of November Rain (one in particular has a girl riding a unicorn on the front or something crazy like that - I have it packed away somewhere).

you guys make sense!!! hopefully it will be the same way this time

NOOOO!!! If we hear most of CHIDEM now, then ther is no point on buying the CD when it comes out. So. Im just sayin here, that Im gonna stay with the three leaks i have, and just live off those till the CD acctually comes out.

PAZ

NOOOO!!! If we hear most of CHIDEM now, then ther is no point on buying the CD when it comes out. So. Im just sayin here, that Im gonna stay with the three leaks i have, and just live off those till the CD acctually comes out.

PAZ

If the whole album leaks on the net. I WILL DL IT. I want to hear it. I don't care, but I'll also buy it the first day it comes out. I wanna have it in my hands, see the inserts read the lyrics and whatever the fuck else is in there.

It should come with a book on the whole 13 year process, that would be cool.

Consider this:

We shouldn't mix the songs played live by the band with leaked tracks. That's a very different matter.

Edited by Alan Niveen

I'm guessing that Axl will do what many smart bands do nowadays to compell fans to purchase the actual cd - not the poor attempt at copyright protection that renders a cd unplayable in many devices - I mean some dvd content. Maybe whatever the first video is, a short documentary on the making of, or take another cue from NIN and release the album in surround-sound or dual-disc like Trent has been doing and continues to do. A surround-sound or DTS version of Chinese Democracy would be drastically different in quality to anything that you could get in mp3 format in the form of leaks or illegal downloads. For those that aren't audiophiles this may not matter, but in the time that has lapsed, this attention to detail could have been realized which may account for the delay (among other things).

I remember people saying that they had NR and The Garden demos or mastered on a tape like 2 years before UYI's came out.

Also, we heard KOHD on a soundtrack a year before UYI's came out.

Also...again...we heard Bad Apples live and there was a rough mix going around in early '91.

This is true. The main difference today is we have all this file sharing and internet bullshit that makes stuff spread like wildfire. In 1991, if you wanted to hear the Illusions, you had to buy the album, you coulnd't download it for free. So anything that leaks online is going to be everywhere in a matter of hours. Nothing Axl can do to stop that. Just put the album out and tour, problem solved.

We shouldn't mix the songs played live by the band with leaked tracks. That's a very different matter.

exactly

I agree with both of you guys. My thread was meant more for everyone saying that they don't want to be disappointed in hearing the songs in their unfinished state before the cd comes out. We have heard songs before the cds many times before. My comment about Axl leaking was meant that he has teased us with unreleased songs in the past and made us wait quite awhile to own them.

PAZ

If the whole album leaks on the net. I WILL DL IT. I want to hear it. I don't care, but I'll also buy it the first day it comes out. I wanna have it in my hands, see the inserts read the lyrics and whatever the fuck else is in there.

It should come with a book on the whole 13 year process, that would be cool.

Chapter 1: Axl starts doing some writing

Chapter 2: Axl sits in his mantion for 7 years

Chapter 3: Axl goes on a tour for a while on stops before the tour is close to over.

Chapter 4: Ex-Gunners create an album and release it before Axl even picks a single

Chapter 5: ChiDem is released. Sounds like shit, and flops.

THE END