Leaked Guns N' Roses songs reviewed

GnRmaniac

Normally, we wouldn't do this. And by "this," of course, we mean "voluntarily listen to Guns N' Roses."

Kidding. Kidding. We like GN'R as much as the next dude. At least, we used to. Or we think we did. It's kind of hard to remember at this point. After all, it's been a while since we've heard from our old pal Axl Rose.

Since the band ground to a halt following 1993's covers EP The Spaghetti Incident?, the Gunners -- which now seems to consist of Axl and random musicians drawn by some sort of lottery scheme -- have put out a total of two songs: A pointless cover of Sympathy for the Devil on the Interview With a Vampire soundtrack in 1994, and the industrial-flavoured Oh My God on the End of Days soundtrack in 1999. Speaking of End of Days, that's about when we expected to hear Chinese Democracy, the album Rose has supposedly been making, and remaking, and re-remaking, for about a decade.

But that all changed last week. Because last week, three -- count 'em, three -- new GN'R tracks surfaced on the Internet. Which brings us to the thing we wouldn't normally do. Normally, we wouldn't review unauthorized tracks from the Net. It doesn't seem fair to the artists to critique work that might be half-finished or never intended for release. It doesn't seem fair to readers to write about music they can't buy. And it doesn't seem kosher to encourage illegal file-sharing by publicizing illegal tracks.

But three new GN'R songs in one week? That's hardly normal. That's the musical equivalent of Howard Hughes, Greta Garbo and J.D. Salinger throwing a surprise party for Bigfoot. We figure we can make an exception in this case. So we tracked down the songs -- actually, we got somebody way more net-savvy than us to track them down -- and gave them a spin. Here's what we heard. And remember, kids, don't try this at home.

IRS | 4:16

Like all three tunes, this number is a far cry from the Sunset Strip sleaze of Guns' glory days. In fact, the jangly guitar chords and weepy slide notes that usher us into IRS sound more like Zep's Rain Song -- and Axl quietly moaning like somebody squeezed his lemon does nothing to dispel that notion. Soon, though, a squiggly electronic drum loop does. And once the live drums and a chunky, phased power chord riff kick in, we're on more familiar turf. The bulk of the song alternates between the two parts, with Rose -- whose voice hasn't changed much over the years -- alternately whining and shrieking about how some woman done him wrong. The mix is rough, but the pyrotechnic solo and oddball, jazzy guitar chords sound like Buckethead to our ears.

Decipherable Lyrics: "Gonna call the president, gonna call a private eye, gonna need the IRS, gonna get the FBI." Why? Is he finally wondering where his career went?

There Was a Time | 6:43

A funky hip-hop loop sets the groove, while a plunky piano melody and ominous strings create a horror-soundtrack vibe. Axl's voice comes in distorted -- though that could be the mix -- kvetching about drugs and betrayal and, yes, how some woman done him wrong (which would explain the song's misogynist acronym). Anyway, as Axl works himself into a lather, twin guitars gnash away as the cut ebbs, flows and gradually builds to a grand crescendo a la November Rain. Then it ends with a nice solid wallop. The most fully realized song of the trio.

Decipherable Lyrics: "I was the one who gave you everything -- the one who took the fall. You were the one who would do anything."

Better | 2:06

We found two incomplete versions of this number -- but both were long enough to get the idea. What sounds like a heavily treated guitar chimes away in the right channel. A scratchy lick sets up shop in the left channel. Rose comes up the middle, crooning a sing-songy lyric that's almost a lullaby. The wakeup call comes 30 seconds in, when the grinding guitar chords and midtempo beat arrive. The verses -- with Axl bitching about (all together now) a woman who done him wrong -- rock solidly, and the wah-wah-laced chorus works, but the offbeat bridge kills the momentum. Still, it's the rockiest of these tunes.

Decipherable Lyrics: "Replay the part, you stole my heart, I should have known you're crazy."

Final Verdict: Not bad -- but not worth waiting a decade for. If it were anyone else, we might suggest heading back to the drawing board. But with Rose, who knows if we'd ever hear from him again?

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/03/02/1468954.html

Edited by GnRmaniac

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a fair review.

13 years, 13 years, and all this is what Guns Axl can come up with.

:rolleyes:

Come on Axl. Bring on the "Big Guns"! :anger:

I believe TWAT, The Blues and Better are some of the big guns...

Axl's favorites, very talked about...

People who still expect way more then this will be disappointed I believe.

Add Madagascar : it's enough to have a great album. Probably better than UYI.

I don't understand why people review Demo's, why not wait till the final product.

easy, worst demo of an ordinary gnr song is better than any great rock band's masterpiece.

remember how estranged,dead horse,don't cry,november rain demos were, and how axl gave us with all guns firing in the album. all those leaked tunes are great.

not worth waiting a decade for

That's what i think too. I'm very dissapointed.

what did you expect?

Apparently, some people are under the impression that music is like wine. The longer it takes to make, the better it is.

Poor guys. They're too ignorant for their own good. *shakes head*

That's a fair review.

13 years, 13 years, and all this is what Guns Axl can come up with.

:rolleyes:

Come on Axl. Bring on the "Big Guns"! :anger:

I believe TWAT, The Blues and Better are some of the big guns...

Axl's favorites, very talked about...

People who still expect way more then this will be disappointed I believe.

As much as I love the new demos, I have to disagree (so far!). An album featuring TWAT, Better, IRS, and Madagascar would be nowhere near as good as the colossus that was UYI.

I do think (as Username has previously said) that people's expectations are sky high, when we already know that Better, The Blues etc ARE some of the big guns on the album. But overall, I do dig the direction Axl is going in, different,.... but very good!

LA

I don't understand why people review Demo's, why not wait till the final product.

easy, worst demo of an ordinary gnr song is better than any great rock band's masterpiece.

remember how estranged,dead horse,don't cry,november rain demos were, and how axl gave us with all guns firing in the album. all those leaked tunes are great.

Why review demos? In this case because it is Axl Rose! Its huge news for the entertainment media. Goes to show, the world needs an Axl Rose.

But three new GN'R songs in one week? That's hardly normal. That's the musical equivalent of Howard Hughes, Greta Garbo and J.D. Salinger throwing a surprise party for Bigfoot.

i thought that was pretty damn funny. i think the guy was fair in his review. i also appreciated how he pointed out that these were in fact demos and these songs could and probably would sound different in their final form. most other media types don't take the time to mention that.

Edited by artfromtex

That really is a fair review, and I agree with alot of it. I love these demos personally, but that said, they are still "demos", and we will not get a full appreciation for these songs until we hear the final versions.

I respect the person that gave this review, one of the best ive read.

As much as I love the new demos, I have to disagree (so far!). An album featuring TWAT, Better, IRS, and Madagascar would be nowhere near as good as the colossus that was UYI.

I've been listening to UYI 2 all day. It's a colossus but with feet of clay : a lot of filler and not so many outstanding songs (2, maybe 3).

Actually, I think Madagascar and The Blues are better than any UYI song.

I've been listening to UYI 2 all day. It's a colossus but with feet of clay : a lot of filler and not so many outstanding songs (2, maybe 3).

Fair enough dude, I know what you mean about the fillers. I do like the knew tunes, especially the two you have mentioned. However, in my opinion,:

You Could Be Mine, Coma, Estranged, Dont Cry, November Rain, Breakdown, Dont Damn Me, (Madagascar, The Blues)>>>>>>Better>>>TWAT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IRS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Catcher in the Rye.

But then there's no question that the new demos are far superior than the likes of Shotgun Blues, 14 Years, You Ain't the First etc etc....!...

LA

Edited by LA_0013

You are kidding!?!?!? Bu ha ha :rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

not worth waiting a decade for

That's what i think too. I'm very dissapointed.

what did you expect?

I'm very dissapointed cos these songs are not mind-blowing or earth-shattering like the songs from UYI or AFD. If T.W.A.T and Catcher in The Rye are "The Big Guns" it will be average rock record. Something like "The Spaghetti Incident"

Edited by Kurwa