UYI Demos vs. CD Demos

eschman

I wasn't able to get a hold of any demos from UYI before it came out, but I've heard a lot of people say they have. So my question is, how similar are the situations, comparing now to then? How long before the release of the album did we have demos? Was it as big of a deal then? What was the quality of the demos like? I was into GnR boots, but I had no demos and no one I knew had them either... we thought we were the shit for having Live at the Ritz and a couple of other tracks (I believe Shadow of your Love and Whole Lotta Rosie were pretty well circulated on cassette at my Junior High).

I just find it very hard to believe the end songs will be much different than what these leaks are...

If you listen to the vocals there is a LOT of work on them...layering etc.

FInal product will just be mixed better, etc. But songs are pretty much finished product.

First off:

a) It's not all drum machines on these songs.

B) Yeah they're gonna sound"fuller" ever notice how you hear an old song, then hear it on FM radio and it sounds different...these are mp3's

If you think these songs are shitty, it's because your expectations are too high, which is understandabe given the nature of a GnR fan and the time this album has taken to make...

They're very very intricate. Like another poster said - listen to the layering, the complexity. That kind of stuff takes take after take after take. Hell, Brian May flew back and forth to LA for sessions. That was 6 years ago. You STILL think this is a demo?? C'mon cut Axl some slack. He's slow because of alot of shit, mainly legal, band coherence, personal issues, etc but to cut a track doesn't take 6 years people.

First off:

a) It's not all drum machines on these songs.

B) Yeah they're gonna sound"fuller" ever notice how you hear an old song, then hear it on FM radio and it sounds different...these are mp3's

If you think these songs are shitty, it's because your expectations are too high, which is understandabe given the nature of a GnR fan and the time this album has taken to make...

They're very very intricate. Like another poster said - listen to the layering, the complexity. That kind of stuff takes take after take after take. Hell, Brian May flew back and forth to LA for sessions. That was 6 years ago. You STILL think this is a demo?? C'mon cut Axl some slack. He's slow because of alot of shit, mainly legal, band coherence, personal issues, etc but to cut a track doesn't take 6 years people.

They're all almost entirely recorded in mono (except some of the intros and CITR). Explain that one!

These aren't demo's....

Man there's gonna be disappointment around here..

So what you are saying is that the final cut is gonna use drum machines?

LOLOLOL....

How old are you?

Have you heard Oh My God? The drum machine intros are intentional....The instrumentation in these 'demos' are the way it's going to be...the only thing that will change is the mixing...maybe push axl's voice up a little...etc...make it sound.

Axl has fully intended to use drum machines....it's part of his new sound.

In madagascar there is drum machines too....think with ur head..not with ur idolization for Axl...

These songs are good by 'today's music standards' but there's no instant magic like when i first heard jungle or don't cry....Don't Cry was groundbreaking...cause NO ONE at the time (1986) was writing anything like that...the chord progression, the way the bridge starts on the second chord of the main progression...it was just brilliant.

So far, I find the new music somewhat aimless...

I love complex music too..I'm a huge fan of bands like Tea Party and Radiohead...I don't know what Axl has done.

I agree that these are more than just demos.Everyone who has worked on CD have all said that the songs are RAW,including Axl himself.It's absolutely pathetic that so called fans don't seem to know shit about Axl and this band.People expecting AFD are obviously nu-fans because Axl has said numerous times that the old fans make not like the new stuff.Go read some interviews.

The UYI demos I remember were very "raw" and very poor audio quality... I remember hearing (and at one time owning) a demo tape that had a purely piano version of November Rain (literally just Axl and a piano), as well as, a purely guitar version of November Rain (no piano)... I recall Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, Don't Cry and Don't Damn Me being on there too.... mostly I just remember the tape cutting out a lot... lots of microphone feedback.... Slash and Izzy screwing up solos... Axl using some different lyrics... etc.

In comparison, these CD "demos" are of much better audio quality and much more polished in comparison to what I remember from the UYI demos I heard... might be as simple as the fact that the CD demos are possibly taken from a later stage in the recording process than the UYI demos were though...

I do remember listening to the UYI demos and thinking... oh sh1t... this stuff is garbage compared to AFD... then November Rain (guitar version) kicked in... and I knew all would be fine. rock1

you're talking about a demo process from 16 years ago. pro tools and computer based digital recording have given artists the ability to do alot more work in alot less time. demos can be very elaborate. if you have an idea that's complex you're going to demo it that way. you think the demos are going be drum, bass, guitar and vocal with no multi-tracking or layering? you think Axl is going to play a demo for a label rep and go "right here there's going to be this other guitar going 'wah, wah, wah' and this little synth sound going 'doo, doo, doo-de-dooh', you just gotta pretend that it's there, it's gonna be great, i promise!"? hell no! you're going to the full idea on tape, or in this case, hard drive. THESE ARE DEMOS!!!!!!!!

Edited by artfromtex

Wow... some people need to chill out.

I just want to know what the time was between hearing the UYI demos and the release of UYI.

P.S.-If the sound quality and instrumentation of these tracks are the same on these demos as on CD, I'll eat my hat.

you're talking about a demo process from 16 years ago. pro tools and computer based digital recording have given artists the ability to do alot more work in alot less time. demos can be very elaborate. if you have an idea that's complex you're going to demo it that way. you think the demos are going be drum, bass, guitar and vocal with no multi-tracking or layering? you think Axl is going to play a demo for a label rep and go "right here there's going to be this other guitar going 'wah, wah, wah' and this little synth sound going 'doo, doo, doo-de-dooh', you just gotta pretend that it's there, it's gonna be great, i promise!"? hell no! you're going to the full idea on tape, or in this case, hard drive. THESE ARE DEMOS!!!!!!!!

For your sake, I hope so... :drevil:

These aren't demo's....

Okay so theyre gunna release these shitty ass versions of songs, dude you're off your fucking rocker.

I agree, and mixing and tracking are two fucking things.

the TRACKING of these songs pretty much suck, part from Axl's vocals. which are pretty much up to par.

the guitars are good as they are played, but the SOUND QUALITY isn't very good. unless they did this on purpose. But like some other guy mentioned are they gonna release this with a drum-machine and just mixing.

Well, I think there's alot of disturbing sounds and other stuff that sound like jibberish since there'snt a higher quality of each track.

Meaning you're gonna feel everything is mudded and just floating all over the place.

The mix ofcourse will seperate this and make it sound "right" and tight.

But at the end of the day it can only be so good with tracking that sucks...

like the demo of the garden, the tracking was HORRIBLE, so damn horrible that it didn't even sound like a proper song... axl did pretty ok on the vox, but still... come on guys!!

you're not gonna believe this shit about releasing these songs as they are? just with a mix???

haha, well, I can tell you one thing then, you're in for a riiiiiiide.... :)

the CD demos sound WAY more complex than any of the UYI demos as they were pretty much just a bunch of ppl with instruments, now there's alot of programming and stuff... E.G the garden

I just want to know what the time was between hearing the UYI demos and the release of UYI.

P.S.-If the sound quality and instrumentation of these tracks are the same on these demos as on CD, I'll eat my hat.

Does someone know the answer?

Does someone know the answer?

I do, IT IS NOT!!! that is NOT proper tracking quality...!!

These aren't demo's....

So what you are saying is that the final cut is gonna use drum machines?

LOLOLOL....

How old are you?

Have you heard Oh My God? The drum machine intros are intentional....The instrumentation in these 'demos' are the way it's going to be...the only thing that will change is the mixing...maybe push axl's voice up a little...etc...make it sound.

Axl has fully intended to use drum machines....it's part of his new sound.

In madagascar there is drum machines too....think with ur head..not with ur idolization for Axl...

These songs are good by 'today's music standards' but there's no instant magic like when i first heard jungle or don't cry....Don't Cry was groundbreaking...cause NO ONE at the time (1986) was writing anything like that...the chord progression, the way the bridge starts on the second chord of the main progression...it was just brilliant.

So far, I find the new music somewhat aimless...

I love complex music too..I'm a huge fan of bands like Tea Party and Radiohead...I don't know what Axl has done.

the hell you talkin about,man? OMG was studio drumming, that was josh freese,and he's just a GREAT DRUMMER,and i'd say accurate as a machine

there was no drum machine in madagascar,you just don't believe in the skill of brain,trust me,he's amazing

complex music is my bag too,but there comes a point where some times(ahem,4 guitar solos of madagascar at once) you have to evaluate the general public's ear for music

if thier ear isn't so great,they won't hear the fullness

i dont know what some people are thinking here

but to me all the songs seem to be pretty much done ready to be put on a cd, yeah they might tweak them a bit but theyre pretty much done

listen to better, geez its so well done, same with twat, and irs if anything catcher in the rye could do some more tweaking i guess but not a lot,

the songs are real well done i dont know whats your deal people

in fact i was real impressed with these songs :) axl did such a good job makng them, and im damn sure the producers and recording engineers did a great job too

you think Axl is going to play a demo for a label rep and go "right here there's going to be this other guitar going 'wah, wah, wah' and this little synth sound going 'doo, doo, doo-de-dooh', you just gotta pretend that it's there, it's gonna be great, i promise!"?

hahaha that part made me laugh...... :)

As a musician in a band with a computer based home studio of our own, I'd just like to confirm the absolute truth in what you said. I mean, my band's got a "demo" out and we spent hours upon hours making sure everything was perfect, including guitar overdubs, vocal harmonies, guitar harmonies. The least amount of tracks any given song on our "demo" has is something around 25. With computers, the beauty is there's no limit to the number of tracks. However, with computers, there's also the ability to constantly tinker and never actually be done the mixing because you can always find something you want to do better. In all honesty, these demos are pretty raw compared to what can be done these days with a demo.