New Rock Old Rock

Jennifer

Ummm, the topic is closed now, but here is my reply:

Thanks everyone for the updates, that covers the basics. Now it's wait and see. About 4 years ago when they was a lot of hype about the album, I was so excited and then terribly disappointed. I really hope this is it!

As a teenager I was a huge fan and I still am. I miss the good old days, but I have passed the torch to my 10 year old son. He loves GNR. Whenever we are in the car, I usually listen to GNR, Skid Row, Scorpions, Led Zep, etc. My favorites are the 80's hair bands. Don't laugh! :) But that's what I grew up with. The other day I look over at Joe and he's singing along with a Dio song and it tickled me to death.

I absolutely hate new rock. Sorry folks, I'm sure some of you love it. But I can't help it, I don't like anything new. Gone are the days when the lead singer of a rock band could actually carry a tune. A lot of stuff recently just sounds to me like screaming and lots of instruments to cover the fact that they can't sing. Well, I like few songs, Kid Rock....mmmm okay. But I am glad I have unknowingly influenced my son's taste in music. He wants a Van Halen CD now. I'm so proud!!

Well my favorite kind of music is...a lead singer who has..I guess you'd call it range. I know that Skid Row wasn't near as popular as GNR was in their day, but I liked them because Sabastian Bach could really belt it out. And I love the clear screaming ripping sound of a single guitar solo. Most of new bands these days-what I dislike is that I rarely understand the words of the song. Classic rock bands like Led Zep & CCR most of the time would make the meaning of the song pretty clear.

And now a confession: I also like what you call: New Jack Swing. :wub: For example New Edition, Bell Bic Devoe, Mint Condition, Bobby Brown, Toni Tony Tone, Color Me Badd. Along with 80s Metal & New Jack, I'm a sucker for patriotic songs-Bruce Springsteen Born in the USA, and others. And, cough, Jackson 5 cough cough.

Yes I am aware I have a strange taste of music.

I haven't listened to any of the new GNR music yet. I have retrained myself until I can hear it on the radio or buy the CD. I really don't have any opinon yet, only that I hope I like it!

Alter Bridge?

Edited by Jennifer

Jennifer, you should listen to Alter Bridge.

:rofl-lol:

Oh common you cannot be serious. Listen to "Hurricane Party", "Glitterati" or "Towers of London" (sorry there all UK bands) for rock.

I dont hate every new band but a lot of mainstream americian rock is complete rubbish (So is a lot of mainstream hip hop - just not discriminating). We have a different problem with "Art Rock" in the uk - Science students at uni should not start bands.

Jennifer, you should listen to Alter Bridge.

:rofl-lol:

Oh common you cannot be serious. Listen to "Hurricane Party", "Glitterati" or "Towers of London" (sorry there all UK bands) for rock.

I dont hate every new band but a lot of mainstream americian rock is complete rubbish (So is a lot of mainstream hip hop - just not discriminating). We have a different problem with "Art Rock" in the uk - Science students at uni should not start bands.

You guys should cjeck out this old band I just discovered called guns n' roses. I just heard one of there songs, but its really god. it's called paradise city.

alter bridge sucks, sounds like creed w/o the grungy vocals, lol it pretty much is. Jennifer LISTEN TO THE DARKNESS!!! i am just like you but im only 16 and i cant stand alot of this new rock shit. but when i heard the darkness, it reminded me of classic rock meets freddy mercury. also i like red hot chili peppers, but i dont know if you would like them.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
I'm a sucker for patriotic songs-Bruce Springsteen Born in the USA

Born In The USA is a criticism of America under the Reagan administration.

• 2 weeks later...