Axl Rose and Spinal Tap

Greekgelboy

I was watching Spinal Tap the other night, first time in a while, and I noticed some eerie similarities between the 'dinasaurs of english rock' and axl's new band.

1) 37 members - it is a big joke in the movie that spinal tap has had 37 members through the years, like that is a ridiculously high number. well GnR are not far off. the origional band + tobias +that drummer that went to perfect circle + the whole 2002 linup + gilby +teddy andriadis + the temproary zack wilde stint + endless guest musicians... axl might be ahead!

2) Silly makeup - at one point in the film, the band ain't doing so wel, and it is suggested they might start wearing silly makeup and costumes... crab face, ying aqnd yang face etc... well, after oh my god flopped, enter buckethead, fink, axls ridiculous braids....

3) Trilogies, pretencious music, 'tough guy' titles - at one point tap are working on a pretty piano ballad, part of a 'musical trilogy', out of character with the bands early material. The song is called lick my love pump. Did anyone sat 'twat'?

4) endless fights with managers, staff, cancelled gigs, ridiculous reasons for turning up late - this art is right out of the gnr playbook. tap never started any riots though, to their credit.

So where do the similarities end? In the film, tap are in their thirties. They are determined to stop playing before they become pathetic, forty year old men completely past it. Axl is 44.

Discuss and enjoy.

I see where you're coming from. Spinal Tap is pretty tongue in cheek with its rock n roll cliches, of which GNR certainly participated. As much as I love the Nov Rain/Estranged videos, the dolphins and cruise liner are definately as Spinal Tap as a rock n roll band can get.

However Guns N Roses (old and new) have the talent, and songs, to back it up.

LA

Edited by LA_0013

spinal6.jpg

Tap Into America! Yes indeed, a great movie by Rob Reiner and the boys. Christopher Guest is a riot, he is also responsible for Best In Show, Waiting For Guffmann, etc. Tap was a group effort, as most of it was improvised. Love that movie, and it's all tounge and cheek. :rofl-lol:

The biggest difference is Tap were never that big, so much as they followed every trend that was hip at the time. They were not the worldwide sensation GnR is. There tale applies to a lot of bands, some of which are supporting at some up and coming festivals, but not so much GnR's. The Who or The Stones in the late 80's touring would be more of an appropriate comparison to Axl in 2002 0r 2006, mega stars. The difference between Axl and a nostalgia tour is, like The Stones, he has great new music to blow your mind, hence just keeping him a star.

In listening to Axl talk, he's a bit nuts, but smart. Smarter than, say, David St. Hubbins. Now to hear Slash talk, well... (lol)

But, just to be my own devils advocate, here's a guy who COMPLETELY agrees with you...

"If ever there was a Spinal Tap story, this is it...."

http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/gunsnroses.htm

Edited by axlskAmpf

The biggest difference is Tap were never that big, so much as they followed every trend that was hip at the time.

Ah yes, that was the one i forgot.

From rapidfire, where axl aparantly had rob halford style vocals in a band named after a judas preist song, to hair metal in the mid 80's, to suddenly wanting to go industrial in the mid 90's, to dressing like kid rock in 2002...

makes the 'flowerpeople' seem almost normal!

Axl Rose

Izzy Straddlin

Ole

Rob Gardner

Tracii Guns

Duff

Slash

Steven Adler

Matt Sorum

Dizzy

Gilby Clark

Paul Huge

Robin Finck

Tommy Stinson

Josh Freese

Chris Pittman

Buckethead

Richard Fortus

Those are all the GnR band members who have played a gig or played on released material as official band members. Note: Josh Freese plays on "Oh my God". I count 18 :-P

Axl Rose

Izzy Straddlin

Ole

Rob Gardner

Tracii Guns

Duff

Slash

Steven Adler

Matt Sorum

Dizzy

Gilby Clark

Paul Huge

Robin Finck

Tommy Stinson

Josh Freese

Chris Pittman

Buckethead

Richard Fortus

Those are all the GnR band members who have played a gig or played on released material as official band members. Note: Josh Freese plays on "Oh my God". I count 18 :-P

yeah dude but also there is the traci and roberta fiasco, wylde joining and doing some demoing (he said the guns demo's he made were what eventually became the first bls album) and teddy andreadis who did a tour.

Axl Rose

Izzy Straddlin

Ole

Rob Gardner

Tracii Guns

Duff

Slash

Steven Adler

Matt Sorum

Dizzy

Gilby Clark

Paul Huge

Robin Finck

Tommy Stinson

Josh Freese

Chris Pittman

Buckethead

Richard Fortus

dont see brian mention...

and wheres saul hudson or michael mckagan

Axl Rose

Izzy Straddlin

Ole

Rob Gardner

Tracii Guns

Duff

Slash

Steven Adler

Matt Sorum

Dizzy

Gilby Clark

Paul Huge

Robin Finck

Tommy Stinson

Josh Freese

Chris Pittman

Buckethead

Richard Fortus

dont see brian mention...

and wheres saul hudson or michael mckagan

:rofl-lol:

I was watching Spinal Tap the other night, first time in a while, and I noticed some eerie similarities between the 'dinasaurs of english rock' and axl's new band.

1) 37 members - it is a big joke in the movie that spinal tap has had 37 members through the years, like that is a ridiculously high number. well GnR are not far off. the origional band + tobias +that drummer that went to perfect circle + the whole 2002 linup + gilby +teddy andriadis + the temproary zack wilde stint + endless guest musicians... axl might be ahead!

2) Silly makeup - at one point in the film, the band ain't doing so wel, and it is suggested they might start wearing silly makeup and costumes... crab face, ying aqnd yang face etc... well, after oh my god flopped, enter buckethead, fink, axls ridiculous braids....

3) Trilogies, pretencious music, 'tough guy' titles - at one point tap are working on a pretty piano ballad, part of a 'musical trilogy', out of character with the bands early material. The song is called lick my love pump. Did anyone sat 'twat'?

4) endless fights with managers, staff, cancelled gigs, ridiculous reasons for turning up late - this art is right out of the gnr playbook. tap never started any riots though, to their credit.

So where do the similarities end? In the film, tap are in their thirties. They are determined to stop playing before they become pathetic, forty year old men completely past it. Axl is 44.

Discuss and enjoy.

"its been a bad day, please dont take a picture....?didididi"

youre going nuts?compering a band and a fucking movie?

Edited by Revesokken