Frank Zappa (and The Mothers of Invention etc)

nameless_girl

This is going to end up sounding like such a vague topic, but I was just going through some old music I have that I haven't listened to in a while and I came accross some good old Frank Zappa. So, currently I'm listening to "We're Only in It For the Money" by Zappa and The Mothers of Invention and I was just wondering how many of you listen to him/them and what you think about the music and albums, what are your favourites etc. Just share whatever comes to mind.

AWESOME topic.

Zappa was a fucking phenom. Freak Out,Hot Rats,Joe's Garage and Shiek Yerbouti are all great and will never be duplicated. Many have tried. There are so many layers to those works

I still though have a soft spot for Captain Beefheart. Trout Mask Replica was 10 years ahead of it's time and was no wave before Sonic Youth.

Zappa is great, got a video the other day off a mate of Zappa and mates on the BBC, magic stuff.

also came with Residents videos and a few Beefheart videos.

REALLY???

There's a documentary of Beefheart that I'm salivating over to see but I don't remember the name of it.

Speaking of The Residents, are you familiar with Negativland?

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Absolutely Free is my favorite record by The Mothers. "Duke of Prunes", "Brown Shoes Don't Make It", just a great album.

Suzy Creamcheese, honey, what's got into you

The thing that pisses me off a bit is the fact that there was a lot of arseing on his earlier works (I wont even mention Flo and Eddie), and while there's great music being played, the mock singing does grate me a bit. That's why I adore Uncle Meat and Hot Rats, as music is the focus by this point.

But I really love the Capt.

Edited by Genesis