Does a pedal exist that digitally transposes your guitar sound?

What do you mean? Like, a pitch shifter? Or are you talking about something to use your guitar as a midi controller? As far as that goes, Roland has offered a midi pickup for about 10 years now. You apply it to your guitar, and connect it through your computer. From there, you can use the guitar as a midi controller, much like you would use a midi keyboard.

Lets say that I am in standard tuning, but have recently required some guitar backing tracks that are tuned a half-step down. Is there a pedal or something that would allow me to tune-down without actually having to?

Yeah, you can do that, get a pitch shifter. But really, it's a lot easier to just tune the guitar as needed. A pitch shifter is cool, but it gets a digitized effect. It doesn't sound natural, especially if you are recording.

Lets say that I am in standard tuning, but have recently required some guitar backing tracks that are tuned a half-step down. Is there a pedal or something that would allow me to tune-down without actually having to?

Yeah, you can do that, get a pitch shifter. But really, it's a lot easier to just tune the guitar as needed. A pitch shifter is cool, but it gets a digitized effect. It doesn't sound natural, especially if you are recording.

Thanks for the information. I don't want to have a digitized sound.

Thanks for the information. I don't want to have a digitized sound.

No problem. If you're altering your tuning by only a half-step or so, it's not that bad. It's when you really start changing the tuning that it gets digitzed. If used right, it can sound pretty cool. If you ever get a chance, listen to the Radiohead track "My Iron Lung" from their "The Bends" album. They have their guitars shifted up 1 octave in the begining. It's a really cool effect.

No problem. If you're altering your tuning by only a half-step or so, it's not that bad. It's when you really start changing the tuning that it gets digitzed. If used right, it can sound pretty cool. If you ever get a chance, listen to the Radiohead track "My Iron Lung" from their "The Bends" album. They have their guitars shifted up 1 octave in the begining. It's a really cool effect.

I once jammed with a guy I used to work with and he had an Octave pedal (Boss OC-something or other). I plugged it in and set it to a couple of octaves lower. It was like playing guitar and bass at the same time. Awesome.