Memoirs of a roadie

elmir

I was actually going to wait before I post this, but I can't hold it in anymore.......

A few days ago, at a party, got chatting to this one dude, a man in his early forties, called Gary, about all sorts of shit, work family, whatever else, and he casually mentions in his rant that he used to work for GNR as a roadie, in the early to mid eighties, just before they exploded big on the world stage....

Imagine my reaction.

So, like any crazed fan would, I proceeded to mumble out all sort of questions which just don't make any sense, trying to find out as much as possible over a beer....

Anyway, it was over 20 years ago, so he couldn't remember all the details, however he did tell me that he was with them at a Whiskey a Go Go gig one night when Axl took a punch at David Bowie...with a bad ass comment of sorts....

Another thing he said was that their gigs were always fully booked out, and they all knew it was just a matter of time before they hit it big...

To cut the long story short, I told him to go home, try and recall as much as he can, perhaps dig up his old photo albums, and then I will hook up with him again in a few days time, and he can tell me more...

So, the point of this thread is to perhaps get a few questions you guys think I could ask him when I see him next....

Cool.

e.

This is a great opportunity to see some old photo's that have not made the rounds. I hope it pans out.

As to questions, ask if he left one he found out he had to carry the red couch to every hotel Axl stayed in?

or...

Back in those days did Axl stay on a whole different floor of the hotel, making the band see him by appointment only, or had that not started yet? Ahaha :rofl-lol:

Anyway, it was over 20 years ago, so he couldn't remember all the details, however he did tell me that he was with them at a Whiskey a Go Go gig one night when Axl took a punch at David Bowie...with a bad ass comment of sorts....

The David Bowie story is common knowledge. Apparently - according to the story - Bowie was trying to hit on Axl's girlfriend at the time (Erin), so Axl threw a punch. But later -- Axl and Bowie became friends.

The David Bowie story is common knowledge. Apparently - according to the story - Bowie was trying to hit on Axl's girlfriend at the time (Erin), so Axl threw a punch. But later -- Axl and Bowie became friends.

:lol: I've never heard that!

neither have I, that's so cool

..madison knows everythin'...especially w. axl roses way of thinkin'....

I was getting my hair cut one day and the guy that cut my hair was telling me about his friend/acquaitance that works a sound engineer and does the soundboard for a bunch of concerts. I was asking him if he had done all these bands, and practically every band I mentioned he said he toured with. AC/DC, Journey, Van Halen, Metallica, GNR, Dave Matthews, Prince, it went on an on. He actually was the sound guy for the AC/DC Live at Donnington. Anyway he said that while on tour with GNR Axl was a complete asshole and the other guys were real cool to get along with. At the end or towards the end of one of the shows something went worng with axls mic and he got pissed and threw it in the direction of the sound area and the sound guy caught it. Axl thought that was pretty cool. I'm not sure if he does this for every show, but I have seen many performances where axl throws his mic into the crowd, not sure if he tries to hit the sound guy or he just tosses it as a souveneir. He told me tons of stories about every band and the crazy shit that the sound guy has told him. Thought it was really interesting.

For the sake of useless trivia, I'll add that it happened during the ISO video shoot.

Edited by Angelica

I was getting my hair cut one day and the guy that cut my hair was telling me about his friend/acquaitance that works a sound engineer and does the soundboard for a bunch of concerts. I was asking him if he had done all these bands, and practically every band I mentioned he said he toured with. AC/DC, Journey, Van Halen, Metallica, GNR, Dave Matthews, Prince, it went on an on. He actually was the sound guy for the AC/DC Live at Donnington. Anyway he said that while on tour with GNR Axl was a complete asshole and the other guys were real cool to get along with. At the end or towards the end of one of the shows something went worng with axls mic and he got pissed and threw it in the direction of the sound area and the sound guy caught it. Axl thought that was pretty cool. I'm not sure if he does this for every show, but I have seen many performances where axl throws his mic into the crowd, not sure if he tries to hit the sound guy or he just tosses it as a souveneir. He told me tons of stories about every band and the crazy shit that the sound guy has told him. Thought it was really interesting.

Do you remember any of those stories? :P

My friends dad made all the arrangements (Sp?) for Shania Twains wedding, and he got seated at Axl's table....he says it was a long time ago and doesnt remember if their was any other band member at that table.

He said Axl was a maniac and shredded/devoured the centerpiece to pieces. They later went to have lunch together and made fun of Mutt Lang together, made jokes about the fact that he collects castles or something, and talked about how such a beautiful girl like Shania could marry such an ugly man :lol:. I kept bugging him to tell me more but he doesnt remember :(