Fuck the legacy of GnR

Guest Apollo

Ha, sometimes I think I like the depressed Apollo much better... :)

Anyway, I agree with some others who do NOT want a re-release of AFD. Remember when Axl said he wanted to bury Appetite? How everything with him has been about moving on, going in different musical directions, bring the fans into the 21st century, yada, yada, yada. How does putting out an album almost 20 years old fit into any of that? Just shows a lack of creativity imo. Instead of coming up with new and fresh material, people feel the need to rehash the old.

Instead of comparing it to a baseball team (which I think trying to equate athletes to musicians is an ineffective analogy) how about movie remakes. Planet of the Apes, Psycho, Godzilla, Bad News Bears, etc. all of them sucked. Very few can ever live up to the potential of an original or surpass it for that matter. Same thing with legendary music.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never got all this consternation over the name. Its a business decision, and a smart one. Frankly, the others were fucking morons for signing it over to him. But they did, so deal with it.

I look at it from the point of view that Axl shouldn't have to stop calling the band Gn'R because other people quit. Makes no sense to me. If he had sacked Slash & Duff and then carried on the band then i'd see the issue - but i think it would be ridiculous for Axl to have to change the name due to the actions of others.

R.

Makes no sense to me that the guys with a financial stake in the matter signed off on it, and some of the fans act like its unacceptable because they didn't run it by them first.

I never got all this consternation over the name. Its a business decision, and a smart one. Frankly, the others were fucking morons for signing it over to him. But they did, so deal with it.

I look at it from the point of view that Axl shouldn't have to stop calling the band Gn'R because other people quit. Makes no sense to me. If he had sacked Slash & Duff and then carried on the band then i'd see the issue - but i think it would be ridiculous for Axl to have to change the name due to the actions of others.

R.

Makes no sense to me that the guys with a financial stake in the matter signed off on it, and some of the fans act like its unacceptable because they didn't run it by them first.

Are you referring to how Axl acquired the GnR name? You think these guys "just signed off on it" without a care? The problem was not that they should have consulted with fans. They should have consulted with attorneys. But since time was running out and they had a show to do, I'm guessing they felt they didn't have much of an option at that particular point in time.

To you, the GNR name is just a name, but to the people who actually experienced GNR back in the day it was more then just a name. It was a lifestyle.

That's why people are defensive over what Axl is doing currently.

Spare me.

They made some good rock tunes. Its not a friggin' religious experience.

And I did experience them "back in the day", I'm 28 years old.

I read a post earlier about Axl re-releasing an updated Appetite and somebody posted how it would be the worst thing ever and would ruin an already perfect album. These people amaze me.

A= Singular.

Somebody= Singular.

These= Plural.

You went from one person, to "these" people, who?

Think before you write, you read the p :fuckyou: st of a stupid bitch my friend, you can't get away from them. What you can do is not assume that just because a one kid is a retard, that doesn't mean everyone is.

Your. Point. Sucks.

I read a post earlier about Axl re-releasing an updated Appetite and somebody posted how it would be the worst thing ever and would ruin an already perfect album. These people amaze me.

A= Singular.

Somebody= Singular.

These= Plural.

Think before you write, you read the p :fuckyou: st of a stupid bitch my friend, you can't get away from them. What you can do is not assume that just because a one kid is a retard, that doesn't mean everyone is.

Your. Point. Sucks.

I was the one that said releasing re-recorded AFD is ridiculous, and I am certainly not a kid, and not even close to being a retard. I sure as hell am not a "stupid" bitch.

You added absolutely nothing to the discussion. Apollo's points may have "sucked," but at least he had one. You have no point. PERIOD.

To you, the GNR name is just a name, but to the people who actually experienced GNR back in the day it was more then just a name. It was a lifestyle.

Spare me.

To you it was just a rock band... but what about the rest of the world who tried to be like Slash or Axl or the rest of the gunners. They immortalized the Sleaze rock scene to the rest of the world. Bands are still trying to live that way. Go to any cities local scene and you will see it first hand for yourself. They glamorized a certain attitude and lifestyle to a generation of people who hadn't seen that before. They still have a big affect on people to this day.

Just some 'rock tunes'! Dude, you wouldn't and I wouldn't be sitting on our asses talking about this band on a message board if it just was about some 'rock tunes'! They obviously had a big part of our lives, and will continue to be a part of our lives.

Spare me.

Sorry, you may have been there, but you obviously didn't truly "experience" them.

This is rock n roll. It's always been about MUCH more than "just the music". Rock n roll was founded on attitude and rebellion, and it's just as much a part of the experience as the music itself. It's also the reason why it's had such a profound effect on our culture for the last 50 years. It's been the spirit and the soundtrack of events that change the world forever. The berlin wall....south africa.....soviet union

For many people, it WAS a lifestyle. GNR was one of the last true "soundtrack of a generation" bands. In a pop-metal driven music world, these guys' attitudes and image struck just as much of a chord as anything they played, and stood for something. The chemistry of the orignal band was undeniable, and the energy they delivered on stage was almost untouchable. This was the chemistry that made the name GNR. It's not just a brand, it's a culteral frickin' icon. Even by 1991, they were already a shadow of this.

As a teenager, music was my religion. and this bands music and attitude was closer to a religious experience for me than any organized religion ever was. Such is life when you're young and impressionable. I literally worshipped this album, and, even at 31 years old, with the years of perspective on it, it is still the standard by which I judge rock music. I'm definitely not the only person who this album had a similar impact on, or it wouldn't have sold 27 million copies.

You can't just tell people they didn't experience that.

Edited by angry anderson

Spare me.

Sorry, you may have been there, but you obviously didn't truly "experience" them.

This is rock n roll. It's always been about MUCH more than "just the music". Rock n roll was founded on attitude and rebellion, and it's just as much a part of the experience as the music itself. It's also the reason why it's had such a profound effect on our culture for the last 50 years. It's been the spirit and the soundtrack of events that change the world forever. The berlin wall....south africa.....soviet union

For many people, it WAS a lifestyle. GNR was one of the last true "soundtrack of a generation" bands. In a pop-metal driven music world, these guys' attitudes and image struck just as much of a chord as anything they played, and stood for something. The chemistry of the orignal band was undeniable, and the energy they delivered on stage was almost untouchable. This was the chemistry that made the name GNR. It's not just a brand, it's a culteral frickin' icon. Even by 1991, they were already a shadow of this.

As a teenager, music was my religion. and this bands music and attitude was closer to a religious experience for me than any organized religion ever was. Such is life when you're young and impressionable. I literally worshipped this album, and, even at 31 years old, with the years of perspective on it, it is still the standard by which I judge rock music. I'm definitely not the only person who this album had a similar impact on, or it wouldn't have sold 27 million copies.

Fair enough.

I just think you are overthinking it.

At the end of the day, music is a business. Bands do it to make money. If they weren't interested in it, they wouldn't sign big recording contracts. If it was all about "the lifestyle" they'd play in some craphole bar for shits and giggles. But why do they sign the contract? Right. To become big stars and make a bunch of a money. Not just GNR, any bigtime band.

My issues with Axl are never that he's somehow let down some hocus pocus "movement" or "generation". Just that he shits all over the paying customers that have made his life pretty damn sweet.

BTW, your namesake RULED in 'Max Max : Beyond Thunderdeome'. ;)

Spare me.

Fair enough.

I just think you are overthinking it.

At the end of the day, music is a business. Bands do it to make money. If they weren't interested in it, they wouldn't sign big recording contracts. If it was all about "the lifestyle" they'd play in some craphole bar for shits and giggles. But why do they sign the contract? Right. To become big stars and make a bunch of a money. Not just GNR, any bigtime band.

My issues with Axl are never that he's somehow let down some hocus pocus "movement" or "generation". Just that he shits all over the paying customers that have made his life pretty damn sweet.

BTW, your namesake RULED in 'Max Max : Beyond Thunderdeome'. ;)

Yes, and now he does childrens albums :)

Its not tarnishing the GnR name, because everyone knows its not Guns n' Roses

Yet I bet you had no problems when Izzy left, despite him being a founding member and prime songwriter.

Convenient.

Personally, I was quite sad when he left - and GnR hasn't released a good original song since he left. Likely not a coincidence. In all the Axl/Slash fights, Izzy gets forgotten so easily, which is really too bad.

Guest Apollo
Totally agree with this thread.

Could not agree more about the future not changing the past. Did Sammy Hagar's involvment in VH mean the entire DLR era never happened? Of course not.

Stop being idiots.

GREAT POST!!!!

i dont think it matters what the band is called' everyone will recognise the singer & his sound anyway'

i'm looking forward to seeing if they are the real deal when axl returns to the limelight

i think he will be welcomed with open arms, he's been gone far to long :)

Guest Apollo

A= Singular.

Somebody= Singular.

These= Plural.

Your. Point. Sucks.

Thanks for the grammar lesson.

In the future, please know that I actually will NOT put too much time and thought into my posts on this board. To me, message boards on rock and roll sites are something I check into for 10-15 minutes, read the news and some posts, quickly comment, then move on with my life. I'm not going to spend time editing and proof-reading any post I make. I know there are structural mistakes, grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes and I often accidently type "hte" instead of "the" for some reason. I also sometimes use U and 2 and C and 4 instead of you, two, see and for.

Your condescendence is noted though - I hope criticizing my post today has made you feel better about yourself. And yes, I don't know if condescendence is a word and I'm not sure if I spelled criticizing correctly. But the point of a message board is to get your message across - not to get a writing grade.

I do find it interesting that you would write about my posts, while not mentioning somebody like charlesmanson's who does nothing but talk about sodomizing and things not related to the topic at all. That says a lot about you and your character. The fact that the two pictures you have on your posts are of a guy that died from a drug overdose . . . . well, maybe you should worry less about my grammar and more about who your idols are.

I experienced GnR back in the "day."

I was a junior in high school.

And yes . . . still . . . . . the name of the band means dick to me. The music is all that mattered.

And the lifestyle you talk about???? This lifestyle was soley dependant on the name of the friggin band and not the music? Weird.

The name does mean something to me, GNR is one of my favorite bands of all time. But from the beginning Axl always did things his way and it was his band. If others chose to walk out, thats their decision, why should it stop being Guns N' Roses?

Slash chose not to be here over control issues. Now people can say ‘Well Axl, you’re after control of the band too.’ You’re damn skippy. That’s right. I am the one held responsible since day one. When it comes to Guns n’ Roses, I may not always get everything right but I do have a good idea about getting things from point A to point B and knowing what the job is that we have to do. Within those parameters, I give everyone as much freedom to do what they want something Slash has verified in several interviews.

Why do you feel the need to post the same crap over and over again? You're almost as bad as original gunner. You've said this all before and we all know how you feel about this subject. I'm not sure why you feel the need to repeat the same poorly written drivel again and again. It's really becoming tiresome and it's long past due for madison to put a stop to this.

You need some new material.

Why do you feel the need to post the same crap over and over again? You're almost as bad as original gunner. You've said this all before and we all know how you feel about this subject. I'm not sure why you feel the need to repeat the same poorly written drivel again and again. It's really becoming tiresome and it's long past due for madison to put a stop to this.

You need some new material.

i got some new material for you

WHY DO PEOPLE BITCH ABOUT GNR KEEPING THIER NAME WHEN KING CRIMSON, PINK FLOYD, MEGADETH, THE YARDBIRDS, LA GUNS ALL KEPT THIER NAMES,WHAT MAKES GNR ANY DIFFERENT