Fuck the legacy of GnR

Guest Apollo

Why do you feel the need to post the same crap over and over again? You're almost as bad as original gunner. You've said this all before and we all know how you feel about this subject. I'm not sure why you feel the need to repeat the same poorly written drivel again and again. It's really becoming tiresome and it's long past due for madison to put a stop to this.

You need some new material.

i got some new material for you

WHY DO PEOPLE BITCH ABOUT GNR KEEPING THIER NAME WHEN KING CRIMSON, PINK FLOYD, MEGADETH, THE YARDBIRDS, LA GUNS ALL KEPT THIER NAMES,WHAT MAKES GNR ANY DIFFERENT

The thing about those bands is that the fanbase was extremely loyal no matter what the band did, as long as at least one member stayed. Megadeth, for example, was always the brainchild of Dave Mustaine. He has stayed with it and changed the lineup a few times. People still love the band because Dave has kept it going. Guns N' Roses on the other hand, has a torn fanbase, because everyone loves a different member of the original band. Not everyone loves Axl Rose. That's why I love fanbases such as Pink Floyd's or Megadeth's. Always positive about the band. This place seems like it has civil issues.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you feel the need to post the same crap over and over again? You're almost as bad as original gunner. You've said this all before and we all know how you feel about this subject. I'm not sure why you feel the need to repeat the same poorly written drivel again and again. It's really becoming tiresome and it's long past due for madison to put a stop to this.

WHY DO PEOPLE BITCH ABOUT GNR KEEPING THIER NAME WHEN KING CRIMSON, PINK FLOYD, MEGADETH, THE YARDBIRDS, LA GUNS ALL KEPT THIER NAMES,WHAT MAKES GNR ANY DIFFERENT

Slash. He will always inextricably be tied to Axl Rose and vice versa. Just like Page/Plant & Tyler/Perry. Without him, something just feels missing. You can explain it away as best you can, but the vast majority of the gnr fanbase and the music industry want those two to reunite.

Duff and Izzy to a lesser degree. Each band member aside from Adler/Sorum brought something unique to the band. It also didn't hurt that they were a rather charismatic group of musicians. ;)

Guest Apollo

Yet here you are reading and replying!!!!

The thing about those bands is that the fanbase was extremely loyal no matter what the band did, as long as at least one member stayed. Megadeth, for example, was always the brainchild of Dave Mustaine. He has stayed with it and changed the lineup a few times. People still love the band because Dave has kept it going. Guns N' Roses on the other hand, has a torn fanbase, because everyone loves a different member of the original band. Not everyone loves Axl Rose. That's why I love fanbases such as Pink Floyd's or Megadeth's. Always positive about the band. This place seems like it has civil issues.

thats how i feel great post right there

Slash. He will always inextricably be tied to Axl Rose and vice versa. Just like Page/Plant & Tyler/Perry. Without him, something just feels missing. You can explain it away as best you can, but the vast majority of the gnr fanbase and the music industry want those two to reunite.

Duff and Izzy to a lesser degree. Each band member aside from Adler/Sorum brought something unique to the band. It also didn't hurt that they were a rather charismatic group of musicians. ;)

how do you know what they will bring until the album's out

Just an FYI to those people who keep bashing Axl and the new band.

It doesn't matter what Axl does in the future, with the Guns N Roses name. Nothing Axl does is going to tarnish the legacy of GnR.

Now. Sit down. Take a deep breath and exhale slowly. And repeat after me:

NOTHING AXL ROSE DOES IN THE FUTURE IS GOING TO CHANGE THE SOUND, IMPACT AND IMPORTANCE OF APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION, LIES AND USE YOUR ILLUSIONS I & 2.

I read a post earlier about Axl re-releasing an updated Appetite and somebody posted how it would be the worst thing ever and would ruin an already perfect album. These people amaze me. Axl could release a polka album tomorrow and it's not going to change the current CD I have called appetite for destruction. All the songs are still going to sound the same.

If you don't like hte new band or the new songs, then don't listen to him or them. Continue listening to the old GnR albums and enjoying the hell out of them.

So unless your 15 years or younger, stop actling like little drama queens about anything Axl doing now ruining or tarnishing the old GnR name.

SAD that a "name" is more important to you than the actual music.

he is killing the name he should have just called it somthing else and left gnr alone...

Just an FYI to those people who keep bashing Axl and the new band.

It doesn't matter what Axl does in the future, with the Guns N Roses name. Nothing Axl does is going to tarnish the legacy of GnR.

Now. Sit down. Take a deep breath and exhale slowly. And repeat after me:

NOTHING AXL ROSE DOES IN THE FUTURE IS GOING TO CHANGE THE SOUND, IMPACT AND IMPORTANCE OF APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION, LIES AND USE YOUR ILLUSIONS I & 2.

I read a post earlier about Axl re-releasing an updated Appetite and somebody posted how it would be the worst thing ever and would ruin an already perfect album. These people amaze me. Axl could release a polka album tomorrow and it's not going to change the current CD I have called appetite for destruction. All the songs are still going to sound the same.

If you don't like hte new band or the new songs, then don't listen to him or them. Continue listening to the old GnR albums and enjoying the hell out of them.

So unless your 15 years or younger, stop actling like little drama queens about anything Axl doing now ruining or tarnishing the old GnR name.

SAD that a "name" is more important to you than the actual music.

he is killing the name he should have just called it somthing else and left gnr alone...

altho I.R.S was a great song

Well said..

-Kickingthehabit

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

How often do you hear this:

"I love blank except for that reunion in the 90's, that was terrible!"

Even if the golden age is over, Axl will impact the legacy of Guns N' Roses for better or worse.

This is pathetic.

GNR is NOT just a name.

You wouldn't mind if Axl called his band The Flaming Yardsticks? No?

As long as Axl's got the GNR name, he's got the band's history behind him.

Mention GNR, and the first thing people will think of is the original band.

GNR back in the day was awesome, hence, if this band is called GNR, it must be just as awesome. :rolleyes:

That's what a lot of people (non-gnr fans) would assume.

To say it's just a name would be akin to Axl changing his name to Bill Bailey, and fronting The Flaming Yardsticks.

No one in the world will know who the hell it is.

Axl's lucky he's got the GNR name, and he's gonna use it to promote HIS NEW band.

At the end of the day, the name GNR is raking in the cash.

:sleeper:

This is pathetic.

GNR is NOT just a name.

GNR back in the day was awesome, hence, if this band is called GNR, it must be just as awesome. :rolleyes:

To say it's just a name would be akin to Axl changing his name to Bill Bailey, and fronting The Flaming Yardsticks.

Axl's lucky he's got the GNR name, and he's gonna use it to promote HIS NEW band.

Good point. It isn't just a name of course.

But the music is the most important thing. And the demos have shown me that Axl's got the goods no matter who he works with. Chi Dem is shaping up to be a great record and that's really I all fuckin' care about right now. All of the politics on both sides is gettin' old real fast. It's been too long since I've been this excited about a new album.

And it's been 15 damn years since we've had an album with Axl Rose on it, with songs that match up to the GN'R legacy. That drought is about to come to an end. Let's stop crying over spilled milk to at least enjoy it because it might be the last chance we get.

The name...well it's all in the perspective...GN'R is more than just a name, and I've no doubt Axl would agree with that. It's why he's taken this long to put together this band and his vision for it. While some fans think Guns N' Roses equals four guys, Axl thinks it equals a certain kind of musical output, and he'll work with whoever it takes to get that output. I think both points of view are commendable. My point though, is that Axl's done what he has done because the name means a lot to him. He's done what he thinks is right (whether it actually is or not is another matter, though I'm not sure it's that black and white). I have no doubt about that and I think it needs to be acknowledged.

Edited by KBear

Pink Floyd - Roger left, yes that was a huge blow but there were still 3 brilliant members of the band who had made dark side of the moon and the wall. Lots of people did bitch about pink floyd.

Megadeth - Dave Mustaine always was and is the heart and soul of megadeth, the primary songwriter, and the one that keeps the megadeth 'style' continued on every album despite constant lineup changes. GnR's creative team were a combination of slash, duff, axl and izzy, not just one person.

The Yardbirds were somewhat of a scene band, they represented the London Blues scene and they had their prime period later on with Jeff Beck.

I'm not informed on the situation with LA Guns or king crimson, but Im guessing that the lead singer didnt gradually push everyone else out of the band, try to make music, and then realise that without their creative partners, it was very difficult to make a good record.So difficult in fact, that it took 10 years.

It's not just a name, it's the history of such an amazing band, which such amazing bandmembers and the chemistry between them.

SAD that "Guns N Roses" just a name for you and not the blueprint of a kick-ass rock band.

Yup, you are right, pahtna. GnR is just a "name" to me. I could give a fuck who is in the band or who was in the band.

All I care about is the SONGS that they produced, or will put out in the future.

The actual song Sweet Child Of Mine means more to me than the sum of the parts that performed it. The song November Rain means more to me than who the bass player was.

My favorite baseball team is the Dodgers. There is nobody on their roster from when the won the world series in 1988. Does that mean I shouldn't like htem anymore?????

Luvaxl4ever ..... I've just solved your problem. DONT LISTEN to the new stuff!!!! Don't listen to the revamped Appetite. I just cant comprehend how anything Axl does in the future can change the old stuff to you. The songs the old band put out will NEVER change. We have them in our hands, 4 ever.

Do you need a reading comprehension class?

I support the NEW GUYS and the NEW MUSIC. What I don't support is the fact that if he is truly trying to move away from the old band, why would you put out music that was already MADE LEGENDARY? It would also basically be career suicide. You don't mess with perfection.

Yes, oh wise sage. Please help me with my comprehension abilities.

Why would it be career suicide?

You supported Axl and his genius in making Appetite . . . now all of a sudden you DONT trust his vision anymore? How come?

And you think that just because Axl was in a band for a few years, that he has to be tied to that group forever? And that if he truly dislikes the past members, who are constantly badmouthing him and filing lawsuits against him . . . that because YOU are a fan of the old band, he should forget about REAL LIFE and just live in the past?

Me?

I'll just love the old stuff, regardless if Axl and Slash like each other or hate each other.

I'll just love the old stuff, regardless if Axl rerecords every song in the history of Guns N Roses. That has no bearing to me on the old songs. Hell, maybe they'll sound better. Who knows.

I'll just trust that Axl knows what he is doing. And if he puts out a kick-ass new album - then awesome, I'll listen to it and enjoy it. And it won't bother me in the last bit if he rerecords Appetite or who is in the new band.

I used to care about the things you worry about when I was 13 years old . . . but not now. Only the music matters to me now.

What exactly am I "worried" about? I think you are over-analyzing my comments a little too much. You keep trying to imply that I don't support Axl and the new guys which just isn't the case.

I didn't have to "trust his genius" when they made AFD. I hadn't been waiting 15 years for it.

As far as career suicide, it would be. Axl is already going to be scrutinized enough by taking so long to release Chi-D. Add on top of that, A LOT of people believe that he was responsible for the break up of the old band. And inevitably, you would have the comparisions of the old and the new. Why should Axl bring that upon himself? Let the new music, and this version of the band, STAND ON THEIR OWN.

You keep talking about people living in the past; but releasing the old songs with the new guys would be Axl doing exactly that.

Media affect A LOT of people.

I think the 01-02 tour was a way to get the new members closer each other and satisfy their needs to get out and tour. What songs should they play? New? Well, they did a few new songs... But anyway..

Time will come when the new band will stand on their own, but ´til then they still got certain needs to fulfil.

It takes time to create an album with perfectionism in a DEMOCRATIC way. Yes, u heard me. DEMOCRATIC.

It´s ironic that Axl gets the blame for the break up, and now he is the more democratic then ever, and it takes time to make an album "perfectly" democratic.

THEN he gets shit for the album taking so long!!

Both media and certain fans put Axl in a state where he can do nothing but wrong.

Both media and certain fans put Axl in a state where he can do nothing but wrong.

And then we get those who think everything Axl touches is gold. :rolleyes:

And about the "democratic" process, please.

Axl's the one with the final say.

Why else did Slash leave?

Axl wanted to take GNR in a particular direction and that was that.

:anger:

- Axl is an icon! He was INVENTED and CREATED!!!

- He doesn't exists in real life!!!

- GnR is a trade mark, than a cult...it's a subculture and finnaly at last place it's a band!

- GnR is the arrow who shows the way and lead the masses!!!...SO IT'S IMPORTANT WHAT THIS ICON IS DOING AND WHAT IS SAYIN'!!!

But the music is the most important thing. And the demos have shown me that Axl's got the goods no matter who he works with.

Although, I still find it unfair that the new members get so much flack just because they aren't Slash, or aren't Duff. It's stupid. We know it's not, and those people can never be replaced. But this is now, that was then. I loved the old, and now I love the new. You can love both and not sell out to anyone. What was also stupid was the critique for the way the band looked. It doesn't matter how they look, it's the music that counts, so I'm totally with you KbEar.

- GnR is a trade mark, than a cult...it's a subculture and finnaly at last place it's a band!

- GnR is the arrow who shows the way and lead the masses!!!...SO IT'S IMPORTANT WHAT THIS ICON IS DOING AND WHAT IS SAYIN'!!!

What the hell have you been smoking??? Whatever it was, it wasn't pure.

GnR is the arrow? What exactly are they showing the way to, because all I've seen since 1993 is how NOT to run a major rock band. Anyone that thinks Axl has done the right thing by tearing Guns n Roses apart and rebuilding it over a 13 + year period is completely lost.

No album should take 13 years to make if you are as much of a musical genius as some people here want to label Axl. If the other members don't matter and this is Axl's baby, then why the delay since bucket left? 2002 was 4 years ago. 4 years. Supposedly CD was almost done then...here we are in 2006 and still no CD. Axl has painted himself into a corner because he KNOWS that after 13 years, even the loyal fans expect greatness. Axl is good, but he's a perfectionist, and CD will NEVER be good enough in his opinion. His fragile ego will not allow critics and fans to rip apart the work he did for the past decade plus. It's getting to where I question seriously whether CD will ever come out. If it does come out, I think the record company will be the driving force and it will not be what it could have been years ago. Axl screwed us over, and most of us allowed it to happen (and some of you continue to let it happen). I'm done...I'm off the Axl bandwagon.

And then we get those who think everything Axl touches is gold. :rolleyes:

Well, the demos are gold, so I dunno...

I think when you've got someone like Axl, who can create great vocal and musical melodies, and is a fantastic lyricist and singer...that's pretty much all that Axl brings to a song, but if you've got all that it's also a very strong foundation for a great song. It would be pretty hard to screw up a song with all those elements in place, especially if the man sees to it that he hires on some quality musicians to take care of the other parts. The old band can't be replaced, but I guess they can be replicated, at least in terms of creating great studio tracks that sound kind of Use Your Illusionish.

I think the old band was a moment in time, and that moment has passed. I'm still hoping for the reunion, but I'm afraid it'll be for nothing more than a handful of shows, if that.

What the hell have you been smoking??? Whatever it was, it wasn't pure.

GnR is the arrow? What exactly are they showing the way to, because all I've seen since 1993 is how NOT to run a major rock band. Anyone that thinks Axl has done the right thing by tearing Guns n Roses apart and rebuilding it over a 13 + year period is completely lost.

No album should take 13 years to make if you are as much of a musical genius as some people here want to label Axl. If the other members don't matter and this is Axl's baby, then why the delay since bucket left? 2002 was 4 years ago. 4 years. Supposedly CD was almost done then...here we are in 2006 and still no CD. Axl has painted himself into a corner because he KNOWS that after 13 years, even the loyal fans expect greatness. Axl is good, but he's a perfectionist, and CD will NEVER be good enough in his opinion. His fragile ego will not allow critics and fans to rip apart the work he did for the past decade plus. It's getting to where I question seriously whether CD will ever come out. If it does come out, I think the record company will be the driving force and it will not be what it could have been years ago. Axl screwed us over, and most of us allowed it to happen (and some of you continue to let it happen). I'm done...I'm off the Axl bandwagon.

A strange time to jump off, when the bandwagon is obviously starting to roll again.

I will always be interested in what Axl does, and will probably buy any album he puts out. Sure, things would've been better had the old band stayed together. We'd probably have another couple of great albums by now and they would've been playing in their 30's when they were still in their primes. A lot of time has been lost. It really is ashame. But do you think Axl actually intended all along to lose all that time? We don't really know the whole story behind why he's made the choices he has.

Pink Floyd - Roger left, yes that was a huge blow but there were still 3 brilliant members of the band who had made dark side of the moon and the wall. Lots of people did bitch about pink floyd.

Megadeth - Dave Mustaine always was and is the heart and soul of megadeth, the primary songwriter, and the one that keeps the megadeth 'style' continued on every album despite constant lineup changes. GnR's creative team were a combination of slash, duff, axl and izzy, not just one person.

The Yardbirds were somewhat of a scene band, they represented the London Blues scene and they had their prime period later on with Jeff Beck.

I'm not informed on the situation with LA Guns or king crimson, but Im guessing that the lead singer didnt gradually push everyone else out of the band, try to make music, and then realise that without their creative partners, it was very difficult to make a good record.So difficult in fact, that it took 10 years.

umm,the yardbirds started out horrible at the blues,and represented nothing of the sort, "for your love" for example, making it, sending it out as a single was all against clapton, who quit because of it,they didn't represent anything

king crimson-lead guitarist pushed everyone out(kinda like SNAKE PIT or the anti gnr, or addler's appetite)

la guns tracii guns pushed everyone out in similar axl style

and while i'm on it,lets throw in quiet riot, who threw and tossed around every member cept the lead singer

but if you still don't believe this is normal and shouldn't matter in the least,lemme help you out

ozzy-when rhoads died,ozzy played around with a bunch of guitarists before wylde, and changed the drums and bass guitar NOT EVEN CREDITING the origonal musicians upon re-releasing albums(like axl could've with afd)

foo fighters-many different line ups,anyone remember pat smear?

black sabbath-toni iommi has kept the whole band together for an extreme period

beach boys-"smile" because the only origonal member is mike love i think

so you see,this is sooooooo normal that it makes me laugh how people get so worked up over "legacy"

and pink floyd's origonal vocalist was NOT david gilmour....

This is pathetic.

GNR is NOT just a name.

Exactly

This is pathetic.

GNR is NOT just a name.

Exactly

hold on,this about it this way

when you think of slash and duff, do you honestly think of the bassist and lead for vr or the ex-bassist and lead for gnr?

and in retrospect,if you have the chance to take it, do you want to have the words "ex-singer for gnr, or THE singer for gnr" on your resume

if you see a show by "ex gnr members" do you consider it as good as a gnr show?i don't,it feels fake

when you see "ex_____" thats buying off the name

edit:lemme make my point clear

if you see "ex-gnr members" about the same number of people are still going to go

it's still using the name(slash and duff even do it)

so saying that the name's soooo important is crap

as long as you were once in it,you can still be assiciated with it

and if your still gonna be associated with it,and you have the right to it,why not use it

so,to make it clearer-no matter what axl does,he's gonna be assiciated with gnr,so why not use the name

it's not gonna make much difference

Edited by Bucketslash

I read a post earlier about Axl re-releasing an updated Appetite and somebody posted how it would be the worst thing ever and would ruin an already perfect album. These people amaze me.

A= Singular.

Somebody= Singular.

These= Plural.

You went from one person, to "these" people, who?

Think before you write, you read the p :fuckyou: st of a stupid bitch my friend, you can't get away from them. What you can do is not assume that just because a one kid is a retard, that doesn't mean everyone is.

Your. Point. Sucks.

Thanks for the grammar lesson.

In the future, please know that I actually will NOT put too much time and thought into my posts on this board. To me, message boards on rock and roll sites are something I check into for 10-15 minutes, read the news and some posts, quickly comment, then move on with my life. I'm not going to spend time editing and proof-reading any post I make. I know there are structural mistakes, grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes and I often accidently type "hte" instead of "the" for some reason. I also sometimes use U and 2 and C and 4 instead of you, two, see and for.

Your condescendence is noted though - I hope criticizing my post today has made you feel better about yourself. And yes, I don't know if condescendence is a word and I'm not sure if I spelled criticizing correctly. But the point of a message board is to get your message across - not to get a writing grade.

I do find it interesting that you would write about my posts, while not mentioning somebody like charlesmanson's who does nothing but talk about sodomizing and things not related to the topic at all. That says a lot about you and your character. The fact that the two pictures you have on your posts are of a guy that died from a drug overdose . . . . well, maybe you should worry less about my grammar and more about who your idols are.

I don't put down posts to make myself feel better. I put down posts when they have no reason, or knowlege to them what so ever. Your source was one person who I am going to get to in a second, and you turned it into people (Thats Plural). Your point was retarded. There was only one person who had "amazed you". You turned it into something it wasn't. Your writing grade is an F+.

Do you know what "amazes me"? That your grammer mistake, as little as it was, was the difference bettween your post being logical and fucking showing no knowlege.

Is that really the best you could put me down, Shannon Hoon? Come on, I think you can get a better insult without wasting any of your time. Fuck, you can probably insult me better and still have your 14 minutes left to go make more posts showing no knowlege. Shannon Hoon is not my idol, I like his music. You can like things without them being your idols. I like pancakes, but they aren't my idols. So once again you have made a mistake that just makes you look like a dick. ;) .

So you get Grammer leasons.

I read a post earlier about Axl re-releasing an updated Appetite and somebody posted how it would be the worst thing ever and would ruin an already perfect album. These people amaze me.

A= Singular.

Somebody= Singular.

These= Plural.

You went from one person, to "these" people, who?

Think before you write, you read the p :fuckyou: st of a stupid bitch my friend, you can't get away from them. What you can do is not assume that just because a one kid is a retard, that doesn't mean everyone is.

Your. Point. Sucks.

I was the one that said releasing re-recorded AFD is ridiculous, and I am certainly not a kid, and not even close to being a retard. I sure as hell am not a "stupid" bitch.

You added absolutely nothing to the discussion. Apollo's points may have "sucked," but at least he had one. You have no point. PERIOD.

Are you in your PERIOD?

My post showed that what he is trying to say about, "everybody". Is only one stupid bitch's post, and he should not say everyone when his only evidence is you, dear. :kiss: .

So you get Reading leasons.