Old school GNR would change the face of the music scene

tbaugerud

I mean, didn't rock sound better before the bands got computers to do all that shitty work them to save time? Personally I love only a handful of rockbands and there are rock styles that I dislike to the degree that I dislike techno and R&B.

To me, GNR anno 1988 had the perfect sound for a rockband. I even think AC\DC possessed that same sort of kick-ass sound on some of their work.

Music is often about simplicity, when it gets to advanced, the beauty of it often disappears.

Judging by the new tracks that we have heard, it's easy to hear that they are much more modern than the GNR of old. I personally think that the new songs, the leaked ones AND the live ones, are mostly great. And I can't wait to hear them live and buy that bloody record.

But when it comes to a musical revolution, I don't think Chinese Democracy will do it.

In my opinion an old school GNR album would've done it - revolutionized the music scene - reminded the world how top drawer rock sounds like AND made people realize how empty their musical lifes have been these last 10 years.

Oh, I am really looking forward to replies by folks like Axls Disillusion or Funral :laugh:

I personally don't think old school gnr or the new gnr can revolutionize anything. I dont think its possible in today's age of emo/screamo/sissy myspace bands and the internet n all that. The days of musical revolution are long gone.

But in terms of commerical success, I do think Chinese Democracy would fair better against an old school AFD style GNR record released in this day and age.

I actually sort of agree with u... I mean, ur right that Chinese Democracy can't revolutionize the music scene AS MUCH if it goes with the modern look as it would hav with the classic look... but theres always a chance... wel just hav to wait and see the results!!!!

rock1 ROCK ON G'N'R

Maybe it will, maybe it won't change the face of the music scene....but, who really cares if it does? I just want to have an amazing album with tons of great songs. I don't think that Axl is out to change the music scene. The purpose of being in a rock band is not to think "maybe I can change the face of music".

i think C.D. is going to make an im pact ... but what it wont do is change the face of music

i belive it will simply just get alot of more gnr fans..example my friends hate gnr but i let them listen to beter and irs and they love those 2 songs but hate all thr old music..also i think people that want the old music will hear C.D. and be pissed of because its not old balls out in your face axl and gnr will lose alot of fans because of this

It would change the music face in the late 80s like GNR did... But right now, new gnr or old gnr would not change the music face....

It would be just another great band...

In my opinion an old school GNR album would've done it - revolutionized the music scene - reminded the world how top drawer rock sounds like AND made people realize how empty their musical lifes have been these last 10 years.

No. No way. Old school music has NEVER REVOLUTIONIZED the music scene.. and will never do. Sure, sometimes I like old school records alot but evolvement and pushing new boundries is what's going to change the music scene. Imo it would be pathetic if Axl did an album that sounded very close to Appetite.

I mean, didn't rock sound better before the bands got computers to do all that shitty work them to save time? Personally I love only a handful of rockbands and there are rock styles that I dislike to the degree that I dislike techno and R&B.

To me, GNR anno 1988 had the perfect sound for a rockband. I even think AC\DC possessed that same sort of kick-ass sound on some of their work.

Music is often about simplicity, when it gets to advanced, the beauty of it often disappears.

Judging by the new tracks that we have heard, it's easy to hear that they are much more modern than the GNR of old. I personally think that the new songs, the leaked ones AND the live ones, are mostly great. And I can't wait to hear them live and buy that bloody record.

But when it comes to a musical revolution, I don't think Chinese Democracy will do it.

Interesting post there tbaugerud ;) I think Chinese Democracy will revolutionize the music scene though because of the length of time it has taken to make. People who barely know anything about Guns N' Roses will definately hear about this album and i'm betting the majority of Rock music fans will be eager to buy the album. I'm not saying they will all love it but i'm fairly positive they will all buy it

Edited by Mama Kin

No. No way. Old school music has NEVER REVOLUTIONIZED the music scene.. and will never do. Sure, sometimes I like old school records alot but evolvement and pushing new boundries is what's going to change the music scene. Imo it would be pathetic if Axl did an album that sounded very close to Appetite.

Interesting post there tbaugerud ;) I think Chinese Democracy will revolutionize the music scene though because of the length of time it has taken to make. People who barely know anything about Guns N' Roses will definately hear about this album and i'm betting the majority of Rock music fans will be eager to buy the album. I'm not saying they will all love it but i'm fairly positive they will all buy it

right its like what i said earlyer.. it will not change the face of music. people arnt going to want afd type of music back. it will just make there fan base much bigger

they are two different bands ppl need to understand that, they cant sound the same. If they put a cd out that sounded like it from the 80's it wouldnt sell shit they have stay competitive. go listen to linkin park if you wanna sit around and feel sorry about something.

Changing the world with an album is a unique thing - it's about being in the right place, at the right time, with the right album, with the right sound and the right hair cut (so close Axl! Joke).

That's not gonna happen with a new incarnation of a band that's over 20 years old. Axl is 44 not 24.

However I never once believed that the point of this album was to do that. Does Axl really seem like the kinda guy that wants to be interviewed on TV every 8 minutes, or do an "Osbournes" type show and be flavour of the month...? No. Of course he doesn't.

The intention (I beleive) of this new album is to try and make the best album he can, not for popularity, but for respect within the music world. And I think he'll get it. If and when it's released.

LP

Changing the world with an album is a unique thing - it's about being in the right place, at the right time, with the right album, with the right sound and the right hair cut (so close Axl! Joke).

That's not gonna happen with a new incarnation of a band that's over 20 years old. Axl is 44 not 24.

However I never once believed that the point of this album was to do that. Does Axl really seem like the kinda guy that wants to be interviewed on TV every 8 minutes, or do an "Osbournes" type show and be flavour of the month...? No. Of course he doesn't.

The intention (I beleive) of this new album is to try and make the best album he can, not for popularity, but for respect within the music world. And I think he'll get it. If and when it's released.

LP

I agree, it would be very hard to revolutionise the current music industry, it is so varied with so many genres and sub grnres etc. This is just going to be a brilliant piece of music, Possibly one of the best albums according to some,

Or, GnR would get viewed like ACDC or Motley Crue as a band that got stuck in the 80s. (Though ACDC is less stuck in an era and more stuck in their particular sound)

I think most of you guys are underestimating how much the quality itself means.

How can you say that AFD wouldn't have blockbusted the charts for a whole year ig it was released now?

That's bullshit!

The illusions? If GNR released them now, why on earth wouldn't those extremelly brilliant highlights on them light up the world at this point in history?

You're crazy!

I mean, each decade and each era has it's styles and such, but never think that truly great music will not shine through at any given time.

And to be honest; I have always thought of Axl as a guy who has his own expression and doesn't give a shit about what the trends are. Wasn't that what made GNR famous in the first place?

Today's industrial\computerized rock is NOT what rock should be like, and to me Axl Rose could have opened the door for another decade of songs like November Rain, Civil War, Cryin, Amazing, Estranged etc.

Then, and only then, we could have relaxed on the couch thinking:

U2 was the biggest band in the world for a while only for the lack of other alternatives.

Music is BACK!

PS! This thread is just a little brainstorm. I truly believe in Axl, the new album and the future of GNR. But rock, as we used to love it, died with the leaks. That makes me sad.

Edited by tbaugerud

what about in the late 80's when GNR was rehashing early 70's aerosmith/nazareth style music and released an album called appetite for destruction. What GNR was doing at that time WAS old school rock n roll from 15 years earlier.

Edited by angry anderson