What was you first impression of GNR?

sweetness

I was listening to QUEEN and then I saw some guys singing Knockin on Heavens Dorr.... I tought: "Queen are shit compared to this...."

Main consequences:

1- Almost never listened to Queen anymore..

2- I knew the band that is now and ever my favorite

I had the image forced into me. I was about 7 years old and my sister was watching VH1 and November Rain came on. I became addicted after that. I kept on trying to play the first solo on the classical guitar we owned, not that I could play that either. I ended up breaking one of the strings.

Whenever someone mentioned Guns N' Roses to me or I saw Guns N' Roses, there was something about them which made me think they were an incomplete band. I knew of the Chinese Democracy situation before I liked them. I thought Welcome to the Jungle was funny with the daft 'Shanananana' bit. Then one day in LA, I thought 'Guns N' Roses - Greatest Hits', I dunno what made me do it but I thought that might be worth a purchase. I bought it and haven't looked back. :)

my first impression was when i was 5 or 6... it was around 92-94 somewhere i guess... i thought they were just ok...

my second impression came when i was 11 and a big backstreet boy/rap fan..(dont bash me i didnt know better)

Then aerosmith got me into rock and roll and i started listening to it..and i heard november rain again and i was like blown away and have loved them ever since..

I first heard Civil War in my father's car, when I was about 10. I was completely hooked. I couldn't stop whining the lyrics, even though I didn't understand them. Civil War is still my favourite GNR song to date.

I heard the whole UYI II cd and I was amazed. 14 years, Yesterdays, Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, So Fine and Don't Cry really stood out and I was like going crazy around the album.

Until my 8th grade, when hip-hop became cool. I am now a bit ashamed of saying I used to prefer hip-hop to GNR. Thankfully, that went away and I came back to my rock roots, to the likes of GNR, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and so on, mainly because I was on holiday, really bored, and I picked up my old cds and said "Let's give this a listen". Boy, was I ever hooked by a cd. UYI II once again. And now, as you see, I have become a big GNR addict.

I still remember the first time I heard november rain...I was like 8 or something and my dad played it in the car and I pictured an old guy singing it :lol: ....I was so wrong though..... :wub: lol

But I really liked the song anyway and I remember when I got home me and my sister were playing with these little plastic horses and I decided to name mine Guns n' Roses :lol:

That was what I remember anyway.

But I never became obsessed until last summer when I found UYI2 laying around so I listened to it and the first song I listened to was Don't Cry and I thought it was just the greatest song ever. I remember it gave me a stomach ache....but it wasn't exactly a bad stomach ache :huh: . So for like the whole next week after, I was totally OBSESSED with GNR and I couldn't stop listening to the music and I even lost my appetite and....it was just really weird but I knew I had found my favorite band thats for sure. :)

When I was 7 years old I heard Paradise City for the first time. Before that day I was into counrty I guess,but not really a music fan,too young you know?

But when I heard that it was like I needed to hear more,it was the best stuff I'd ever heard before.

Been a fan since.

Edited by F*ck Fear

When I was younger I liked Paradise City on the radio, but had no idea who it was by.

I didn't really love Welcome to the Jungle (it's an okay song, but still doesn't strike me as one of their stronger songs).

But once I heard Sweet Child O' Mine.... Hooked instantly

I heard Jungle like half a dozen times between the ages of like 8 and 11, and I always thought they were some dead 80's band with a lead singer who looked like Brian Johnson from AC/DC. My mom made a few negative remarks about them to, and being young I was impressionable so I never really checked them out despite liking the song. Then the whole commercial rap thing of the late 90's started and I didn't really "discover them" 'till like 7 years later.

Edited by Ant

the first song I heard was "Paradise City"... I thought at the time that it might've been a little too heavy for me... then I was listening mostly to pop music like Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears (even though I was in high school...). Then, I started to get into it more and more... and finally, the nail in the coffin was Sweet Child O'Mine... G'n'Rs been my favorite band ever sense.

I knew id found my favourite band.

Me too

me also, a friend of mine let me borrow his GH album (after id heard WTTJ in his car about 50 times), and i was hooked. at this point in my life, i didnt listen to music much. i had never truely found anything that fit me. thanks to gnr im now a guitarist and a classic rock fan. its becuase of gnr that i discovered bands like Queen and Aerosmith. and its also thanks to gnr that i spend my time dreaming of CD and a US tour. rock2

first song i heard was 14 years i was 5 years old so it probably didnt make an impression on me then, but i liked the song, didnt understand a thing about it but the words :P , the time it really made an impression was around 10 years old, lol i loved Welcome to the jungle, now adays i like more of the illusion stuff, Mr.Brownstone and Rocket Queen will always be favorites to me tho, since the first time i heard em

James S.

Slash is the enduring symbol of GNR for me - we used to crank MR BROWNSTONE in our 87' buick - just raw, fresh rock n roll - they all looked so cool, especially this shot:

300px-Guns_n_Roses.jpg

Somehow after that, maybe after Nirvana, it all got a little tired ... ???