Rose Tattoo Guitarist Dies

yibbida

Rose Tattoo guitarist dies

March 28, 2006 - 2:19PM

Legendary Australian guitarist Pete Wells from the rock band Rose Tattoo has died after a long illness.

The announcement was made this morning on Rose Tattoo's website and the website of the band's former record label, Alberts.

Wells had been suffering from prostate cancer.

"We have to announce, with much sadness, that Pete Wells passed away today," the statement said.

"Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

"The good news is that Pete's music will live on for the inspiration of generations to come.

"RIP Pete Wells, a great musician, a rock 'n' roll legend and most importantly a great friend."

Along with AC/DC and The Angels, Rose Tattoo helped establish an Australian rock sound in the 1970s that was copied around the world.

The Rose Tattoo song Nice Boys was covered by LA rockers Guns n' Roses in the late 1980s.

Australian rockers including the Beasts of Bourbon, Paul Kelly and Tim Rogers staged benefit concerts for Wells in Sydney and Melbourne last September.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=29341781

http://www.rosetattoo.com.au

Rip Pete :cry:

starthp.jpg

Edited by yibbida

The Rose Tattoo song Nice Boys was covered by LA rockers Guns n' Roses in the late 1980s.

Guns also talked Rose Tattoo into reforming for some support shows when they toured in Australia. I vaguely remember reading something about Slash and Izzy joining them on stage for a couple of songs? Does anyone know if Wells was a part of that?

They were a huge influence on Guns n' Roses. Not only musically, but in terms of image and style - just take a look at any promotional shots of GnR during the Appetite era and compare it to shots of Rose Tattoo back in the 70's.

Pete was actually the guy that started the band, even before Angry Anderson joined. He was a great guitarist, who helped define that Australian pub rock sound in the 70's, along with bands like AC/DC.

Anyway, just wanted to say a bit more than I did in my first post. Maybe it's just because I'm Australian, but I reckon he's a bit of a legend. RIP.

Guns also talked Rose Tattoo into reforming for some support shows when they toured in Australia. I vaguely remember reading something about Slash and Izzy joining them on stage for a couple of songs? Does anyone know if Wells was a part of that?

They were a huge influence on Guns n' Roses. Not only musically, but in terms of image and style - just take a look at any promotional shots of GnR during the Appetite era and compare it to shots of Rose Tattoo back in the 70's.

Pete was actually the guy that started the band, even before Angry Anderson joined. He was a great guitarist, who helped define that Australian pub rock sound in the 70's, along with bands like AC/DC.

Anyway, just wanted to say a bit more than I did in my first post. Maybe it's just because I'm Australian, but I reckon he's a bit of a legend. RIP.

01.31.93 - Palace Club, Melbourne, Australia

set: Rock N' Roll Outlaw, Astra Wally, Nice Boys, Suicide City

audio/video recording?: audio

notes: Slash & Duff jam at a Rose Tattoo show.

I think you mean this show? They played this show before the day Guns N' Roses played at Calder Park in Melbourne in 1993 that Rose Tattoo opened along with SkidRow.

duff21

• 7 months later...