Half-Step Tuning

It's jsut tuning all the strings a 1/2 step lower

and how would you go about doing that??? :wub:

Get an Eb from a piano, guitar pro or whatever, tune your E-string to that and tune the rest of your guitar to your E-string. Or just set your tuner to tune to Eb.

It's jsut tuning all the strings a 1/2 step lower

and how would you go about doing that??? :wub:

How do you tune your guitar now? Are you using an electronic tuner? If so, tune your guitar like this:

Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb (if the tuner measures flat notes instead of sharps)

-or-

D# G# C# F# A# D# (if your tuner uses sharps instead of flats)

since nobody really answered me in the last thread........ :book:

how do you Half-Step down??

any good sites showing you what needs to be done???? :)

thx :heart:

Here's how you do it by ear.

Key: 1st string=the tiniest

6th string=the fattest string.

I assume your guitar is already tuned to E (normal tuning)

On Normal tuning you fret the 5th fret (6th string) and match it with the open 5th string and so on RIGHT!

If you want to go half step down/E flat, You do almost the same thing except:

Fret the 6th fret on the 6th string.

Then tune DOWN that 6th string while you're still fretting it on 6th fret till it matches your open 5th string sound (The open 5th string is still at its normal A note)

Now, that your 6th string is tuned half step down aka E flat, now its time to tune down the rest of the strings according to your 6th string.

Now, you fret the 5th fret on the 6th string and tune down the open 5th string till it matches the 6th string you're fretting on the 5th fret. (from this point on you start to tune your guitar the regular way using the 6th string as the starting place)

any good sites showing you what needs to be done????

thx

On Normal tuning you fret the 5th fret (6th string) and match it with the open 5th string and so on RIGHT!

Then tune DOWN that 6th string while you're still fretting it on 6th fret till it matches your open 5th string sound (The open 5th string is still at its normal A note)

Now, that your 6th string is tuned half step down aka E flat, now its time to tune down the rest of the strings according to your 6th string.

Now, you fret the 5th fret on the 6th string and tune down the open 5th string till it matches the 6th string you're fretting on the 5th fret. (from this point on you start to tune your guitar the regular way using the 6th string as the starting place)

thats really good advice thanks :wub::wub:

but one question, and i right in thinking you now tune the 4th string to the 4th fret oh the 6th string..

then the 3rd string to the 3rd fret or the 6th string? or am i talking bollocks? :unsure: thanks :heart::heart:

any good sites showing you what needs to be done????

thx

thats really good advice thanks :wub::wub:

but one question, and i right in thinking you now tune the 4th string to the 4th fret oh the 6th string..

then the 3rd string to the 3rd fret or the 6th string? or am i talking bollocks? :unsure: thanks :heart::heart:

OK, tune your guitar like normal. E A D G B E

Now, play the 4th fret of the low-E string (Ab). Tune your A string to that note. Now your A string is at Ab. Now, play the 5th fret of the low-E srtring, and tune your guitar so the 5th fret on low E matches the open Ab string. Now your low E is in Eb. Once your low E is tuned to Eb, tune the guitar as you normally would.

Edited by santana

OK, looks like that tuner will only tune to standard tuning without being recalibrated. I don't know how to calibrate those things, so the best advice I can give would be to tune the first fret of each string, to the open note of that string. For example, play the first fret on the E string (it would normally an F in standard tuning) and tune it to an E.

OK, looks like that tuner will only tune to standard tuning without being recalibrated. I don't know how to calibrate those things, so the best advice I can give would be to tune the first fret of each string, to the open note of that string. For example, play the first fret on the E string (it would normally an F in standard tuning) and tune it to an E.

:kiss:

wow... used to love her sounds great like this :heart:

back in black sounds shit tho so i think im gunna stick to the standard tuning

thanks for everyone's help! :)

I've never used a tuner, cause I hate the fuckers.

Easiest thing to do is tune by ear.

For instance....throw on the Jungle intro...Slash is hammerring away on the B string...tune your B string until it's in pitch with the slash's b string...then tune your strings in relation to the B string. OR..you know yesterdays is in D...so tune your D string then tune all the other strings around it....if u know the what chord is currently being played, tune the corresponding string.

Works quite well..and it ensures you're actually in tune with the album you're playing along with.

Sometimes producers like to do 1/4 pitch shifts. Like Radiohead's, Just or Metallica's Fade to Black They're a 1/4 pitch above standard..might be a little hard to nail that on a tuner.

NEVER USE A CAPO TO COMPENSATE FOR TUNINGS....learn the songs as they are played rightfully. That way when you go to jam with a band, the bass player and rhythm player who learned it correctly, won't be pissed off at you for having to change frets to play along with you. Learn the songs as they are tabbed..or as they are heard...i.e. no capo..Slash never used one.