"Madagascar" is about racism

Guest JohnUlmer

Guest JohnUlmer

A good number of the clips from the song revolve around the civil rights movement of the 1960s -- MLK Jr. quotes, clips from the movie "Mississippi Burning" (which is about white bigots in the south who burned churches and whatnot), and also "Casualties of War" (which is about race and sexual crimes).

I think this song's lyrics are intended to be more about racism than anything else. I'm only putting this out there because I've never actually seen anyone pick up on the racism aspect of the song before...? Apart from the MLK quotes, anyway.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see him putting the quotes in just because he liked them. I agree about the racism aspect, but the song itself seems to be about isolationism or something along those lines. I'd love to hear him explain everything some day

Isn't Madagascar about the old band basically? Some of the quotes could be interperted as things and the old band.

I'd say the last MLK quote would maybe symbolise Axl being free of the old band. "Free at last"? Just my whack job opinion though.

AxlRocks, The Original

Guest JohnUlmer
I don't see him putting the quotes in just because he liked them. I agree about the racism aspect, but the song itself seems to be about isolationism or something along those lines. I'd love to hear him explain everything some day

I think it's about personal struggle and isolation and racism and being...estranged. :) It's about many things. I have just never seen someone suggest in the past that a large theme of the song may actually be about racism, and the "unnecessary" quotes aren't all that random or unnecessary after all.

Isn't Madagascar about the old band basically? Some of the quotes could be interperted as things and the old band.

I'd say the last MLK quote would maybe symbolise Axl being free of the old band. "Free at last"? Just my whack job opinion though.

AxlRocks, The Original

I agree. While some of the quotes do related to the civil rights movement, they more specifically relate to slavery which goes along with the lyrics of the song. Also, the title of the song makes a lot more sense if related to Axl breaking away from the old band, than anything to do with racism.

A good number of the clips from the song revolve around the civil rights movement of the 1960s -- MLK Jr. quotes, clips from the movie "Mississippi Burning" (which is about white bigots in the south who burned churches and whatnot), and also "Casualties of War" (which is about race and sexual crimes).

I think this song's lyrics are intended to be more about racism than anything else. I'm only putting this out there because I've never actually seen anyone pick up on the racism aspect of the song before...? Apart from the MLK quotes, anyway.

don't worry...we've noticed that. But we didn't think about that so loud as you're thinking now

The song is very complex and it's structure is duo-polar. So listen to the lyrics as you want! I'm listening to it in my own way. :lol:

I disagree. I think Madagascar was written from a critical point of view about the political situation in China. The song has the lyrics ''Freedom or the chains'' - This is a paraphrase of the famous quote from Carl Marx in his Communist Manifesto ''Workers of the world unite. All we have to lose is the chains.'' The song then goes on to quote people like Martin Luther King Jr. who was famous for promoting ideas of liberty and justice. It is clear from the song that Axl doesn't like the communist situation in China. Also it can be argued that this thought is furthered through the title of the album ''Chinese Democracy''.

Can I get an AMENA!?

I don't know.

To me, if there is a song (that we have heard yet) about the break-up, its gotta be 'IRS'.

Definitely... "When you both told me you were gone" is about as clear of a reference to Slash/Duff as you can get. However, that doesn't mean that Madagascar can't be about the transition from the old to new band as well.

^^

yeah i agree with this guy too...

David Bowie Is Gay!! :drevil:

on topic though, i feel that you are all right in some ways because you have valid points. but this could be what Axl means by "complex", each song could have more than one meaning and about a zillion morals and what have you...

yeah...

In the 2002 tour he says: "This is a song about how professional racing pisses me off". And he pronounces it Mad-at-nascar..... :blink:

Why does Nascar racing piss Axl off? :blink:

apparently there is a lot racism in Nascar it seems, but dont quote on anything because im a bit vague in the whole situation...

it just seemed to fit like some sort of prophecy... :o

Axl rose-Madagascar-Mad at Nascar-racism-john ulmer

OMGZ!!!!1111eleven :P

I disagree. I think Madagascar was written from a critical point of view about the political situation in China. The song has the lyrics ''Freedom or the chains'' - This is a paraphrase of the famous quote from Carl Marx in his Communist Manifesto ''Workers of the world unite. All we have to lose is the chains.'' The song then goes on to quote people like Martin Luther King Jr. who was famous for promoting ideas of liberty and justice. It is clear from the song that Axl doesn't like the communist situation in China. Also it can be argued that this thought is furthered through the title of the album ''Chinese Democracy''.

Can I get an AMENA!?

i like you version better...