"Madagascar" is about racism

Guest JohnUlmer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the song is stupid and is about a stupid subject...

the end-

well... maybe you're just stupid :huh: , and maybe you're about a stupid subject. :huh:

James S.

wow, i feel more retarded than i already am reading both your posts

rofl. i wont even say anything

James S.

k, i dont know if there are acctually any facts involved in this song,

but personally i think the quotes are brilliant and very strong,

i wouldnt even consider these ones opinions, they are direct statements

the song acctually gave me goose bumps the first time i heard it.

James S.

Guest Matt13

When I think about 'Madagascar', I don't think of it as a Guns N' Roses song but more of a historical 'what if'. I think there's a lot of ties to the Nazi 'Jewish Question'. The Nazi's had planned on shipping all of Europe's Jewish population to the island. When the Battle of Britan became an ongoing situation and Hitler focused on Russia, they decided it was cheaper to do the death camps... a 'final solution'. When I heard it was a rumored song title before we even heard the song, I knew it probably had some sort of deep, racially motivated lyrics.

To anyone who knows anything about history, most people don't think of Madagascar as fun time in the sun... but the Nazi 'Jewish Answer' that never was.

Here's an article about it:

http://history1900s.about.com/library/holocaust/aa071299.htm

BTW... NASCAR

Non

Athletic

Sport

Centered

Around

Rednecks

Edited by Matt13

Well... i see it as Axl getting away from the old band as someone said, in fact Madagascar was once part of Africa and now it has totally different animals... the evolution was different

just looking the band like a continent... the song doesn't talk about any of this but is about the same thing

Guest Matt13
Well... i see it as Axl getting away from the old band as someone said, in fact Madagascar was once part of Africa and now it has totally different animals... the evolution was different

just looking the band like a continent... the song doesn't talk about any of this but is about the same thing

i tend to agree that the lyrics would suggest that. "ive been brought down in this storm"... the storm being the 'war' between Axl and the old guys. "i can't find my way back, my way anymore"... perhaps saying it's toally over with the old guys. "forgive them and...." ...forgive the old guys for leaving the band?

who knows. it can be interpreted many different ways. in the end, i think it all relates to the nazi thing. madagascar was the island meant for the shunned (the jewish population... in the nazi's minds)... axl suggests he was shunned away from the old guys. if the nazi's would have said cuba was where the jewish folks would be sent, Axl's song would have been called 'Cuba':)

Nothin on Madagascar but weird frogs, birds and reptiles otherwise...lol... with no other ties to opression/racism/isolationism. at the end of the day, i don't think the argument as it being an island (as axl) and africa (the old guys) holds any water. there are thousands of islands. britan for example. why not call the song britan if the basis of the theory is about it being an island?

there's a deeper meaning to it. guess we'll have to hear from ax about it one day.

I am disappointed by CITR lyrics : no allusion to Salinger's book, or am I stupid ?

Madagascar is about spending good time and fuckin' hot bitches on an island. David Lee Roth could have written it. It's Axl's version of California Girls.

Nah, it's about the old guys, that's why Axl chose to sing it in RIR 2001 and the VMA 2002.

"Forgive that they teared down my soul

Bless them that they might grow old"

Not sure about the nazi allusion. :question: I don't know. Axl also wrote Janky Holocaust, so maybe he's into that kind of stuff.

Edited by Alan Niveen

Guest JohnUlmer
I am disappointed by CITR lyrics : no allusion to Salinger's book, or am I stupid ?

Madagascar is about spending good time and fuckin' hot bitches on an island. David Lee Roth could have written it. It's Axl's version of California Girls.

Nah, it's about the old guys, that's why Axl chose to sing it in RIR 2001 and the VMA 2002.

Not sure about the nazi allusion. :question: I don't know. Axl also wrote Janky Holocaust, so maybe he's into that kind of stuff.

CITR isn't about the book, it's about the assassination of John Lennon by Mark David Chapman.

I'm curious what the hell Janky Holocaust even means. Doesn't sound like a very good title to me, either.

I think Axl is trying too hard to be vague with some of these titles and they come across as a bit pretentious and silly.

Madagascar is the most polluted place in the world and I always believed Axl was refering to the old band being polluted. But then again I think Buckethead is Slash. It's his alterego. Axl has been replaced by a fitter look-a-like back in 97. Whatever you believe, whoever you are, where ever you go, we're all just be slow rats or shrunken mice.

I don’t think it’s about racism particularly, I think he’s selected those powerful quotes because he believes they also apply to his struggle after the old members left him.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he’s saying the struggle is the same as any of the people making the quotes, just that they can be applied to his situation also.

The song in terms of the lyrics Axl wrote seem to be pointing at being left alone, being destroyed, and then coming back again and feeling no malice or ill feeling towards those that left him. This could be applied to the old band, old friends, and girlfriends. Maybe all of these things.

The quotes in my mind just enhance the message.

LP

Bach, i see the song as very optimistic as you do. to me it's someone coming to the realization that "I control MY outcome". i think that's why you could apply it to racism, or communism, or any negative force that polarizes people from each other.

love that song.

Edited by artfromtex

I think we´ve set many times that Axl is not a racist, it was pretty clear so, I don´t understand why you bring this up again. Is he going to wear the racist label all his life just because of one song? :rolleyes:

Read carefully and don´t take things out of context.

Edited by November_rain

I think it's about personal struggle and isolation and racism and being...estranged. :) It's about many things. I have just never seen someone suggest in the past that a large theme of the song may actually be about racism, and the "unnecessary" quotes aren't all that random or unnecessary after all.

Bingo. I think it's more about personal struggles of all kinds, racism being one type of personal struggle. The song still easily relates to Axl's own personal struggles in many facets of his life.