Can't Play New Tunes All In a Row This Time

D-GenerationX

I thought this was one of the biggest flaws of the aborted 2002 tour.

They would play like 10 songs you knew, then a handful you didn't, and then the encore. I think this was a huge mistake. There should have been more variety. Like 3 old songs, then a new one, two more old, then another new one, and so on.

Look at the Detroit show where Axl walked off. Part of the problem there was the band was fucking up, but part of the problem was also that people were not reacting to the new songs the way Axl would have hoped. Well he was playing 4 songs in a row there that only the hardcore even knew.

I know, I know, they did a similar thing on the UYI tour's first leg. Two things though :

- they really only had one proper album out at that point and had to fill a whole 2 hours plus show. Not much choice.

- margin for error. In 1991, GNR was the biggest band in the world and were free to pretty much do whatever they wanted. This is not the case in 2006. This European jaunt could be make or break time for this line-up.

What do you think?

For the most part I feel the set list will be similiar. I think they will play several different new songs though. For instance better instead of cd or something along those lines. I also think they will throw in songs like dont cry, and civil war which were not played during the 2002 tour.

For the most part I feel the set list will be similiar. I think they will play several different new songs though. For instance better instead of cd or something along those lines. I also think they will throw in songs like dont cry, and civil war which were not played during the 2002 tour.

DONT CRY wil never be played live!!! :(

I have a feeling the setlist wont be the only thing that'll be the same this year, as in 2002. I'm sure we'll get a canceled show, a few good shows, another cancled show and prolly a cancelation of the whole thing. I love Guns asmuch as everybody else, and am a huge Axl fan, but let's face it, Gn'r died along time ago, and until slash and everybody else is ready to admit that velvet sucks a big green one, and Axl admit's the new Gn'r isnt gn'r, (more like ARn'company), then everyone might aswell settle in, get a blanket, turn on some ole gn'r, close your eye's, and pretend it's 1987 again. Sorry to be this way my first post, but, it is what it is. Anywho, hi, i'm new (insert laugh here)

DONT CRY wil never be played live!!! :(

why not? its been played live before, and it can again. I hope im right on this one. Its a shame if that song doesnt get played live again.

why not? its been played live before, and it can again. I hope im right on this one. Its a shame if that song doesnt get played live again.

not in '02 it wasn't....because Shanoon Hoon died...Axl won't play it live again...

Edited by elmir

I agree, you can't play 4 new songs in a row and expect the crowd to go crazy. As we've talked about before at great length on this forum, one fo the downfalls to the 2002 tour was the fact they were not promoting a NEW ALBUM!

If we are lucky enough to get CD before they tour, then the non diehard fans will hopefully have a cluse what the new material sounds like.

I think they should go with this as the skeleton setlist.....

1 Welcome to the Jungle

2 It's So Easy

3 Mr. Brownstone

4 I.R.S.

5 Better

6 T.W.A.T.

7 You Could Be Mine

8 The Blues

9 The Catcher in the Rye

10 November Rain

11 Sweet Child o' Mine

12 Patience

13 Chinese Democracy

14 Madagascar

15 Nightrain

16 Knockin' on Heaven's Door (encore)

17 Paradise City (encore)

This would accomplish the following:

-offers enough exposure to Chinese Democracy (seven new songs) without including any songs that couldn't otherwise be downloaded off the internet

-includes all of the major hits from the old band, plus the Appetite favorites

-about one to three tracks shorter than their usual setlist, so there is room to mix in a track or two with each show for variety (OMG, Rhiad, Rocket Queen, covers, etc.)

-leaves plenty of time for solos and Axl rants

I think they should go with this as the skeleton setlist.....

1 Welcome to the Jungle

2 It's So Easy

3 Mr. Brownstone

4 I.R.S.

5 Better

6 T.W.A.T.

7 You Could Be Mine

8 The Blues

9 The Catcher in the Rye

10 November Rain

11 Sweet Child o' Mine

12 Patience

13 Chinese Democracy

14 Madagascar

15 Nightrain

16 Knockin' on Heaven's Door (encore)

17 Paradise City (encore)

This is exactly what I am talking about though.

Let's go with what you said. If I am a fan who had not downloaded the leaks, 6 songs into your setlist, I wonder how much energy I am going to have.

Edited by D-GenerationX

Axl should dedicate Don't Cry to Shannon instead of not playing it!!! :fuckyou:

i agree but i do understand how he is feelin

i mean look at it his way

after recording the song and makin a video with a close friend it mustve been kinda depressin to do the song as it would remind him of shannon

so i dont see anythin wrong in him retiring the song

even though i would like to see it played live again