Setting up wireless connections

Guest JohnUlmer

Guest JohnUlmer

I'm an idiot when it comes to this. Anyway, here goes...

I bought a Linksys wireless router months ago, and also a Linksys notebook adapter for my laptop. I hooked up the router, enabled a connection with the adapter and now my laptop has wireless internet access.

So today for my desktop PC I bought a USB adapter and enabled a connection to the router.

So I want to know...how can I set up a connection between the laptop and the computer with this? I read somewhere that you can open up a shared connection between computers using the wireless router and share files such as music, documents, movies, etc. So if the laptop is downstairs I can access stuff from the hard drive using my desktop.

Also, how do I access the setup for the router itself? I lost all my Instructions when I bought the router months ago.

To access a Linksys router, open your web browser and go to the address 192.168.1.1 You'll be asked for a login and password. If you haven't changed it, the Linksys default is login: admin password: admin It will then take you to the page to set up your router.

To use wireless file sharing, you have to set up each individual PC for file sharing over the network. I'm assuming that already the basic setup is done, each computer shows that it is connected to the network, and each computer can access the internet.

To enable file sharing, just right-click on the folders you want to share, go to "security and sharing" (or whatever it's called) and enable the sharing of that folder's contents. When that's all done, you should be able to go to Start > My Network Places and your shared folders will appear.

Guest JohnUlmer
To access a Linksys router, open your web browser and go to the address 192.168.1.1 You'll be asked for a login and password. If you haven't changed it, the Linksys default is login: admin password: admin It will then take you to the page to set up your router.

To use wireless file sharing, you have to set up each individual PC for file sharing over the network. I'm assuming that already the basic setup is done, each computer shows that it is connected to the network, and each computer can access the internet.

To enable file sharing, just right-click on the folders you want to share, go to "security and sharing" (or whatever it's called) and enable the sharing of that folder's contents. When that's all done, you should be able to go to Start > My Network Places and your shared folders will appear.

Thanks, Santana. I still can't access the router for some reason, I didn't change the password or admin login but it isn't working. Maybe I'll contact the help desk about it.

BTW, I hooked up my desktop to the router using the adaptor and within seconds of connecting to the 'net it was bombarded with spyware hijacking. I got ad after ad and all this fucking garbage. I went to ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and I have a loooot of bullshit suddenly in my "installed programs." I tried removing some and they all redirect to those fucking "shophere.com" type spyware websites. I guess that stuff had been building up over the year or so my PC been sitting dormant without any Internet connection and I had been using it to play games and music. Maybe the spyware was on there before and during that long period of time it was just waiting to connect to the Internet.

Anyway, it's so serious that, somehow, it managed to disable my Internet access and now the computer says it can't recognize the USB device. :no:

Is there an antispyware program any of you guys know of that's good? Or something someone could send me? (Preferably something that would be free, but I'm even willing to pay I guess if I have to.) I need something to nuke all the spyware on the hard drive. Hopefully it didn't permanently screw up the adaptor, it keeps saying "device cannot be recognized." :unsure:

Guest JohnUlmer
Ad-Aware is what I use. You can find it for free at download.com While you're at it, download a copy of AVG Anti-Virus (also free).

Thanks!