Removing programs without Add/Remove Programs function

Guest JohnUlmer

Guest JohnUlmer

So I installed my Linksys adapter. Worked well...for about five seconds until the spyware shut off my Internet. I couldn't get the adapter to active again. So I restarted the computer and tried to uninstall the adapter program.

However, after getting to 5% it just froze. So I quit the uninstallation and manually deleted files from C:/Program Files/Linksys.

Now I tried to reinstall and it's not going past 25%. :anger:

Is there a way I can ensure that I deleted all the files from my PC? It's no longer showing up in Add/Remove Programs. Can I go into system registry or something? I'm clueless.

EDIT: Okay, I found system registry (run>regedit.exe) but Linksys isn't listed AT ALL. So why the hell won't it install on my computer?! It installed the first time, but now it just WILL NOT get past 25%. Annoying as hell. And I don't feel like contacting Linksys because I contacted them once before and they took over a week to get back to me.

Edited by JohnUlmer

Ulmer, I really hate to tell you this - but you might have to consider a reformat of your machine.

Using ADSL without an active firewall fucks your machine over in seconds. Spyware and spammers hit all the open ports and flood them with ads, viruses and crap instantly. I've seen a machine crippled beyond repair within 20 seconds. No matter how many scans you run or how many programs you'll try, there's a 90% chance you'll still leave a lot of bugs behind that'll cause your machine to be unstable or corrupt your files.

:no:

Guest JohnUlmer
Ulmer, I really hate to tell you this - but you might have to consider a reformat of your machine.

Using ADSL without an active firewall fucks your machine over in seconds. Spyware and spammers hit all the open ports and flood them with ads, viruses and crap instantly. I've seen a machine crippled beyond repair within 20 seconds. No matter how many scans you run or how many programs you'll try, there's a 90% chance you'll still leave a lot of bugs behind that'll cause your machine to be unstable or corrupt your files.

:no:

Yeah, that sounds exactly like what happened to my PC. As soon as I plugged it in the whole thing was just bombarded with ads and spyware, and my Firefox browser kept getting hijacked by shopping websites.

I don't mind reformatting it too much because there's nothing much on the machine right now that I would care about losing (except for GTA: San Andreas, which I am 1/3 of the way through :lol: ). The only problem is I don't have the Windows installation disk anymore, it got lost in the move. :tongue2:

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I might just bring it to a shop and have them reformat it for me since I can't do it on my own.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I might just bring it to a shop and have them reformat it for me since I can't do it on my own.

Well yeah - ask them first if they can try to save it, but it's likely they'll end up reformatting it. When I worked in a computer shop (only a week -- work experience), if we couldn't fix something in a few hours, it was easier to just reformat it.