Strangeways, Here We Come

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

What do you think?

I'm really into this album at the moment, I knew it was both Marr and Morrissey's favorite Smiths album but only now do I see their logic. I can't really pick out favorite tracks or least favorite tracks, it really just plays like a cohesive album. It's a whole lot bigger than the minutes show, by the time you get halfway through it seems like you have listened to an album's worth of words and ideas.

I think The Queen is Dead gets press because the songs are so recognizably brilliant, anyone can tell it's all mastery. Strangeways, Here We Come is more challenging, it is more of an album than a set of songs.

The Queen is Dead is still their greatest, but I really am beginning to love Strangeways as well.

You may know that Marr and Morrissey didn't meet during the recording sessions of this album... And it was released one month after Marr left the band. It's a sort of testament.

The Smiths tried to continue without Marr, but it didn't work...

I prefer The Queen is Dead which is perfect. Strangeways has its good moments though...

The Smiths never released a bad album imo. Queen is Dead is probably still my favourite but Strangeways is a great one too. Some people think that "I Won't Share You" was Morrissey's ode to Marr.

I swear I fuck up my voice trying to sing along with Morrissey sometimes. Especially when he breaks into that comical falsetto on Hatful. :(

I guess I need Hatful then.

Despite all the criticism of "Paint a Vulgar Picture", I think it's really stellar. There is alot of emotion in the song, towards the end it's pure brilliance.

And it isn't totally hypocritical. The characters in the song benefit from something they had nothing to do with, so there is a level of selfishness that you can't accuse Moz and Co. of in their habit of reissuing material.