Why Were Van Halen So Wussy?

SofaKingWhat

They had the makings of a great band, and in many respects they are, but why oh why did the have to write so many lovey dovey songs.

The potential to be a killer rock band with Eddies guitar work was right there, and indeed, they have some good rock songs but the majority of their back catalogue is cringe worthy.

Why dammit? Why?

I've asked myself the same question over, and over, and over, and over.... and over again. They had the goods, but the goods got rot before they really got using them.

Thank god for them existing tho, we wouldnt have some of the great bands today without them being as idols. Like Pantera wouldnt have existed without VH.

VH were very popular in the US, but not in Europe. Some US bands always had great difficulty in the European market : Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Stone Temple Pilots...

GNR have luck because they can tour and make huge concerts in Europe and South America even if, in the US, the band isn't as popular anymore as back in the '90s. That's something other US bands can't do...

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Van Halen always had a very fun, sentimental kind of sound, I love their so-called "wussiness". In fact, it's the main reason I like them.

They had the makings of a great band, and in many respects they are, but why oh why did the have to write so many lovey dovey songs.

The potential to be a killer rock band with Eddies guitar work was right there, and indeed, they have some good rock songs but the majority of their back catalogue is cringe worthy.

Why dammit? Why?

now, are you talkin' about Van HALEN, or Van HAGAR? Van Hagar had alot of "wussy" songs. in the Roth-era, they didn't have any. could you be more specific? song titles for example. what makes you cringe?

Van Halen always had a very fun, sentimental kind of sound, I love their so-called "wussiness". In fact, it's the main reason I like them.

+1 I love the 'wussy songs'.

Dave era was much better, and much better from a guitarists point of view. But I love the 'pop' era with hagar as well.

Van Halen was a great band.

The main problem, I think, is that they took Rock from the Seriousness of Zeppelin, and started the whole

Big Hair and Smiling thing. The were MTV's darlings at first, and were a little cheesy in their presentation.

I definitely blame them for the whole Hair Band phase because it seemed all of them wanted to copy VH.

It's a shame, you are right

VH were very popular in the US, but not in Europe. Some US bands always had great difficulty in the European market : Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Stone Temple Pilots...

I'm pretty sure Whitesnake was bigger in Europe than they were in the US.

I have 3 Roth albums and there aren't any wussy songs on them. Sure, their sound got a lot softer with Hagar and the party attitude was kinda gone but they were still great, some nice ballads. Too bad Eddie isn't doing a fuckin thing right now.

The synth songs were more pop oriented, but still good.

"Jump" is a great song, but I rarely listen to it. I want to

hear Ed's guitar.

By the way if you think Van Halen was wussy, listen to

"Fair Warning" and tell me if you still feel the same way.

I'm pretty sure Whitesnake was bigger in Europe than they were in the US.

Plus, Whitesnake's not American. They're English.

The synth songs were more pop oriented, but still good.

"Jump" is a great song, but I rarely listen to it. I want to

hear Ed's guitar.

By the way if you think Van Halen was wussy, listen to

"Fair Warning" and tell me if you still feel the same way.

I never said they never did any decent songs, I mean mostly though, it's all cheesy love songs. It just seemed such a waste of Eddies guitar skills to be in a band with mostly shit songs. Man without eddies guitar work here and there they would have been a boy band... kind of :P

Van Halen were an amazing band during the David Lee Roth era. They're still one of one of my favourites. I think they performed to the best of their ability, but I have to admit that after "1984" it all went downhill. They started relying to heavely on the keyboards and supressed the true nature of the band.

Edited by Slash's armpit

My feeling is, when Dave quit(yes he quit), Sammy joined. Sammy Hagar, like him or not, can sing. Dave could not. So Ed wrote songs that Sammy could pull off(ie: hit the high notes), unfortunately some of them were keyboard oriented songs. However, the strategy worked. Van Halen continued to sell out concerts and all their albums went platinum. Only the Cherone era was a dissapointment.

If you want to hear VH rock like mother-fuckers, listen to all the Roth-ear LP's. They all kick ass.

PEACE

i agree. although their songs were sounding like a pussy lover wrote it, the songs had feeling to it. You dont need some Heavy "lets break things" band for it to be popular. You need good songs. Thats the main reason why i play their music alot whrn im dating. :):wub:

TW@