Derek & the Dominos

swlabr

I just got their cd, "Layla and Other Assorted Love songs". And all I got to say is that they made some great music for the short period of time they were together. They're a real mix of blues (with a hint of country). Very cool songs. And the lineup is incredible. A force to be reckoned with. Best songs: Layla and Bell Bottom Blues. I can't really say I liked their version of Little Wing :no: Imagine seeing them live! A musical orgasm, I bet. Oh, "Key To the Highway" is a great song too. This is definitely some of Eric Clapton's best work.

So what do you guys think of Derek & the Dominos? All opinions welcome. Except those dissing Clapton (cough; ohdistortedsmile) :P

Peace.

I liked Duane's other band better.

Me too.

But Duane plays some fantastic guitar on layla and other assorted love songs.

It's a solid record, my favourite clapton album, though im not a huge fan of ol' slowhand

Edited by sabre

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
I just got their cd, "Layla and Other Assorted Love songs". And all I got to say is that they made some great music for the short period of time they were together. They're a real mix of blues (with a hint of country). Very cool songs. And the lineup is incredible. A force to be reckoned with. Best songs: Layla and Bell Bottom Blues. I can't really say I liked their version of Little Wing :no: Imagine seeing them live! A musical orgasm, I bet. Oh, "Key To the Highway" is a great song too. This is definitely some of Eric Clapton's best work.

So what do you guys think of Derek & the Dominos? All opinions welcome. Except those dissing Clapton (cough; ohdistortedsmile) :P

Peace.

Oh my friend, my criticism of Eric has always been well-informed and responsible has it not?

I think I need this album, because I like Clapton's playing from this period, and obviously with Duane as well. Hell I just have a thing for love songs too.

My only dissent:

"Key To the Highway" is one of my favorite songs, never knew they had done it though. I suggest you seek out Little Walter's version to put it in historical context :P .

Just remember that while some of this music was wholly original and creative, alot of it was the same old song and dance. Nothing wrong with that, to a certain degree. But give credit where credit is due.

To me, this is where Clapton started to go downhill. It's good, but everything before was genius, and everything after was lame.

tears in heaven, wonderful tonight and bell bottom blues were bad?

wonderful tonight-any prom, any dance that ends with this song gets me alot of sex,it's just incredible,love the song, because of that, the dance is great, lay on romantic comments as it ends and while the song's playing, whisper it in her ear

she'll melt like butter

tears in heaven-with a dead twin,dead unc;e, dead hose, and alot of really close people dead, this one is great

bellbotton blues-great for EVERY situation in which i'm depressed

To me, this is where Clapton started to go downhill. It's good, but everything before was genius, and everything after was lame.

wonderful tonight-any prom, any dance that ends with this song gets me alot of sex,it's just incredible,love the song, because of that, the dance is great, lay on romantic comments as it ends and while the song's playing, whisper it in her ear

she'll melt like butter

tears in heaven-with a dead twin,dead unc;e, dead hose, and alot of really close people dead, this one is great

Those songs are okay, but utter shit when compared to songs like "All Your Love," or "Bernard Jenkins" from the Bluesbreakers or "Spoonful," from Cream or "Had To Cry Today" by Blind Faith.

Wonderful Tonite- Totally lame bullshit. I don't rely on songs to get laid

Tears InHeaven- To depressing to listen to.

Bell Bottom- Yes. That's good, but it's nothing compared to his previous work.

I think any serious guitarist needs to own Derek & the Domino's live at the Fillmore, It by far contains some of the best live blues guitar ever (yes ODS :P) Clapton had never, and never has played aswell as he did on that live album. Though Duane is lacking from this album it does give Clapton more room.

As far as the studio release of Laya and other assorted songs, its very good, Duane and Eric make a mean twin lead, but i think Duane had better chemistry with Dicky.

she'll melt like butter

Those songs are okay, but utter shit when compared to songs like "All Your Love," or "Bernard Jenkins" from the Bluesbreakers or "Spoonful," from Cream or "Had To Cry Today" by Blind Faith.

if everyone took your attitude we'd have no line between robert johnson to jimi hendrix to black sabbath

I feel Layla is Eric's best work, and it's a kickass album.

So swlabr, you still like Cream more or The Dominos?

Ah, I still prefer Cream. If The Dominos had more material then who knows. I just find Cream to be Eric's best work and very groundbreaking at the same time.

she'll melt like butter

if everyone took your attitude we'd have no line between robert johnson to jimi hendrix to black sabbath

How?? I'm just saying EC played better in a previous band. By the same coin you could say "Slither" is good, but Slash played better on "Paradise City."