Axl Rose and Mickey Rourke

atom heart mother

Not really because Mickey never really broke out into the big league like Axl Rose. Mickey Rourke is analagous to say Faith No More, a lot of talent, should have been huge, but it didn't quite come together. I think a better comparison might be Jacko which I've always seen a lot of similarities with.

Both are eccentric and reclusive, both are anal retentive perfectionists who live in the studios tinkering around on songs forever, they both hate getting to work on their albums and touring, quirky with a penchant for plastic surgery, later songs sound too manufactured in the studio and less raw, fans of both beg each one to return to their roots which falls on deaf ears. Each one tries to one-up the last album only to not succeed, not to mention both are horrendous at releasing albums. Jacko has released 2 albums a decade. Mr. Rose is working around 1 album a decade.

Rourke was a great actor. Rumblefish, Pope Of Greenwich Village (GREAT), Diner, 9 1/2 weeks pre edit room, he was a rising star....then he went nuts. Thats about where I see the similarities end.

First, correct, Mickey never had a big smash, but was acclaimed for his craft and rising fast. Axl, though, reached a much higher level of fame.

Second, and a big second, Axl retreated to his home in Malibu. He spent the next few years there, truly recluded. Mickey retreated too...only it was to his club in Miami where he started a new life of heavy drinking, drugs, hanging with low-life's that took all they could get from him, and boxing. He was serious about boxing, really pretty good at it too, but got hit in the head a lot. It now shows in his speech and looks. Point is, he was easily found at a Miami gym or bar, just quit acting, that's all. He's really sharp and funny, I was always a fan.

There the theory does comes together, as I am a fan of both, and they both do have a similar attitude about things. They'd probably get along well. I'd hang with Mickey, great actor and good to see him back, even if in morphed freakish roles. I saw him on Letterman recently, that's all he can really do now, frankly. He is hard to spot as Mickey, unless you know he's coming. A hard, self imposed, many years it's been.

Edited by axlskAmpf

It's really just the way the media presents celebrities or famous people - they present them as on top of the world and then as having failed. Then they come back. U only see people really on top of their game in entertainment biz. U don't get web cams into Axl's kitchen do you. Here's Axl after the Sopranos party. No you just get a few staged shots for the cameras on the red carpet.

The Survivor Stories are Getting Old.

My Favorite actor. Roarke was in one of my favorite all time movies Angel Heart. Amazing horror/mystery movie. Had Robert Deniro and Lisa Bonet in it. Was directed by Alan Parker who also did Pink Floyd The Wall. Great scene with Mickey and Lisa Bonet that got her kicked off the Cosby show. Other great performances from Mickey are Barfly (with Faye Dunaway) and Year of the Dragon.

Mickey Rourke is a nut. But I like him.

Here's an intersting story:

Mickey a few years back (I think 5 years) was at a restaraunt with his wife (or girlfriend I can't remember), I think they were fighting or on a breakup. Mickey begged his wife/girlfriend to take him back, but she refused. To prove to her how much he loved her, he asked for a steak knife, and cut off his pinky finger right there at the dinner table. As you can imagine, his wife took him back, and he got the finger re-attached.

The things you will do for love.

Guest RonMexico82
Rourke is great in "DINER".

Anyway, I wasn't aware Axl Rose turned into a professional boxer for a short period of time?

His performance was good but Diner was uninspired trash. Angel Heart is a far better film, and performance.

Mickey Rourke is a nut. But I like him.

Here's an intersting story:

Mickey a few years back (I think 5 years) was at a restaraunt with his wife (or girlfriend I can't remember), I think they were fighting or on a breakup. Mickey begged his wife/girlfriend to take him back, but she refused. To prove to her how much he loved her, he asked for a steak knife, and cut off his pinky finger right there at the dinner table. As you can imagine, his wife took him back, and he got the finger re-attached.

The things you will do for love.

That´s not a proof of love, that´s emotional blackmail.

Also, Axl is hot, mickey isn´t. :P

for those unfamiliar with mickey.

mickey rourke was one of the most talented actors of the 80's . He had the ability to smash anything ever done by Brando. Angel Heart, Rumble Fish, 9 1/2 weeks, Pope of the greenwich village, Barfly, Diner, Body Heat, Year of the dragon etc etc.

during the 90's he went off the rails, he started boxing, hanging out with low lifes and getting strange plastic surgery, his wife was a heroin addict, he became an alcoholic, and started making horrible B-movies and fell from grace.

now hes making a comeback, directors such as tony scott, quentin tarantino and robert rodriguez love working with him. Id love to see michael cimino being allowed to make a great film again, starring Mickey Rourke.

although he's lost his angelic looks, his acting ability is all that matters, and hes still got it.

Not really because Mickey never really broke out into the big league like Axl Rose. Mickey Rourke is analagous to say Faith No More, a lot of talent, should have been huge, but it didn't quite come together. I think a better comparison might be Jacko which I've always seen a lot of similarities with.

Both are eccentric and reclusive, both are anal retentive perfectionists who live in the studios tinkering around on songs forever, they both hate getting to work on their albums and touring, quirky with a penchant for plastic surgery, later songs sound too manufactured in the studio and less raw, fans of both beg each one to return to their roots which falls on deaf ears. Each one tries to one-up the last album only to not succeed, not to mention both are horrendous at releasing albums. Jacko has released 2 albums a decade. Mr. Rose is working around 1 album a decade.

Jackson is really an odd (and mentally sick) person wereas axl isn't. Hes a perfectionist but that happens to a lot of people on their pet projects (example team sleep from the deftones front man - 10 years for one album).

At the end of the day axl likes his own space, a cigar, a party, fast cars, women over the age of legal consent, and his music. And from the demo's + live stuff it sounds good unlike jackson's previous decade of work.

Guest JohnUlmer

You're sorta wrong there. Mickey broke out huge in the late '80s. He was one of the tabloid favorites and one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood. In the film world he was becoming the equivalent of, in comparison to music, an Axl Rose figure. He had also gained a strong reputation with critics and method actors like De Niro. He was married to a supermodel (hmm, who does that sound like?) and dropped out of the biz at the height of his game.

However, I agree that he could have become bigger. He said he turned down some of the most popular roles of all time, including Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop.

I think Axl Rose and Michael Jackson have more in common. Both where once on top of the world. Both have had plastic surgery making them look like wierdos. Both wear wigs. The only friends they have are on the payroll. Both are still loved over seas but the butt of jokes in the U.S.

Rourke is great in "DINER".

Anyway, I wasn't aware Axl Rose turned into a professional boxer for a short period of time?

His performance was good but Diner was uninspired trash. Angel Heart is a far better film, and performance.

Uninspired trash? It's a classic. Angel Heart is a inferior film, while still oustanding. Levinson's Baltimore trilogy (really a quadrilogy now) is very enjoyable (Diner, Tin Men, Avalon, Liberty Heights).

Edited by HuskerTornado