The Rolling Stones - My Review

highvoltage

I realise this is a ridiculously long review - and i've made it like this, so I can come back and read it in 6 months, and not forget the concert - this is largely a thing for me. I don't expect anyone to read the whole damn thing. Anyway...

So, last night me and about 60 000 other rock n' roll fans went to the Stones concert in Sydney.

I was a little nervous as I sat in my seat (a damn good one too, I might add) - I wasn't sure how hard a seated stadium concert could rock, and I paid a lot of money for the tickets. My mind kept flashing back to the (seated) Crue concert I went to 6 months ago, and the dissappointment I suffered at the end of it when I thought about how much money i'd wasted seeing what was essentially just a display of fireworks with a band playing along a well-rehearsed musical accompaniment.

I needn't have worried. Stones definately delivered.

A lot consider them to be the greatest rock n' roll band in the world today - and last night they proved why they're in contention for that title. If that stadium had a roof, i'm sure it would've been blown off. rock3

After a lengthy wait between the support and main act, The Stones hit the stage around 9, absolutely tearing into Jumpin' Jack Flash. Keith walked out strumming the opening riff, with Mick literally bouncing out on stage after him. They were full of energy, and aside from Richards' face looking like it was pulled straight from a pack of dried prunes, they could easily have passed off for a band in their 20's.

Despite the explosive opening (literally - fireworks), the crowd was a little soft for a while. I think it was due to the almost 2 hour wait between the opening act and The Stones themselves.

After JJF, Let's Spend The Night Together, was played which was weakly recieved, given what a great song it was. Things started to pick up by the third song, You Got Me Rockin' - Mick got the whole crowd in on the "HEY, HEY" which was pretty cool to see.

They then introduced the audience to one of the songs off their new album (A Bigger Bang), Oh No, Not You Again. It's a serious rocker, if you haven't heard it - and the crowd seemed impressed with some really heavy applause at the end of it. This was the last of their "heavier" songs for a while.

The stage went dark for a minute or so, then Mick walked out and announced that they were "going to go a little country now..." and began strumming a guitar to the tune of Dead Flowers. :D

It's always been a favourite of mine (though Axl did it with more power!), so I thoroughly enjoyed it. I should point out that most of the crowd (aside from the guys down on the pitch) were still seated at this point.

The lights went down for a second time for a beautiful rendition of Angie. One of the highlights of the show - Mick connected really well with the crowd, and everyone had these little flashing Stones badges that they held up in favour of lighters. The sea of red lights looked really cool.

Skipping ahead a bit to the next part that stood out - A Ray Charles number called "Night Time Is The Right Time (to be with the one you love)" which was done incredibly well. The big screen had all these pictures of Ray as a tribute to him, and they really grooved the song up. They had a black female backing singer, Lisa Fischer, who was given the chance to step up and sing the female parts of the song.

This chick was amazing. She had an amazingly powerful voice, just perfect for the song. Mick just sat in the background, complimenting her vocally, allowing her to occupy most of the spotlight - it was really special.

It was Keith's turn in the spotlight now, he sung two songs. One was off the new album, called This Place Is Empty, which was a nice, slow song - but I confess, I was getting in the mood for some rock by this point.

...Then Happy came on, and not a moment too soon!

It was during Miss You that the excitement really started...

Completely unexpectedly, a section of the stage (which all four were on) rose up on hydraulics and broke away from the main stage. It then proceeded to "float" out through the crowd and stopped about 100m into the audience (pretty much in the centre of the stadium).

The crowd got really excited at this point, and everyone stood up for Rough Justice, my favourite off the new album. Quite a few people knew the words too, which was really cool to see.

They then managed to inject Get Off My Cloud with more energy than I actually thought possible - up until then, i'd never really appreciated the song for what it was. The crowd went absolutely insane here, and Mick got everyone singing again.

Honky Tonk Women was one of my personal highlights - it's pretty much my favourite Stones song, and the crowd really enjoyed it. During the song the smaller stage moved back to join up with the larger one. At the end, Mick casually went "Thanks, see ya!" and the band walked off, the lights went down.

Predictably, they came back on the stage and played a six song encore which included Paint It Black, Sympathy For The Devil, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Can't Always Get What You Want and of course, Satisfaction.

In retrospect, this was probably the best part of the show. It definately rocked the hardest. ;) Sympathy for the Devil was nuts - they used an effect on the video screen and turned it to red and black, the stage was bathed in blood-red snakeskin lights, then huge amounts of smoke poured out all over the place. Brown Sugar was an enormous jam by the band and they extended it, filled it with solos - was really cool and just showed off what a tight outfit they really are. They're incredibly in-tune with one another. The show was over 2 hours in length, for anyone wondering.

As a final note, I really liked the way that they managed to make such a huge show so intimate. I think this could largely be attributed to the lack of effects they used - aside from some expensive lights, they had very little pyro and stage props - it was just the band and the audience - gave the show a really nice feel.

If you get the chance, go see them! This is a band you SHOULD NOT MISS.

P.S - Mick still kicks ass. He doesn't attempt to hit the notes he hit when he was 20 years old, but it doesn't detract from the performance at all. Also, Mick is one sexy motherfucker. :wub:

P.P.S - There was few complaints from people about poor sound in the stadium - I was right near a stack, so I experienced no such issues.

SETLIST:

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash

2. Let's Spend The Night Together

3. You Got Me Rocking

4. Oh No Not You Again

5. Dead Flowers

6. Angie

7. It's Only Rock And Roll

8. Tumblin' Dice

9. Night Time Is The Right Time

10. This Place Is Empty

11. Happy

12. Miss You

13. Rough Justice

14. Get Off My Cloud

15. Honky Tonk Woman

ENCORES:

16. Paint It, Black

17. Sympathy For The Devil

18. Start Me Up

19. Brown Sugar

20. Can't Always Get What You Want

21. Satisfaction

rock3

You were online here last night. <_<

:huh:

No, I was online yesterday afternoon. :huh:

:heart: sorry my mistake. :xmasschef2:

"P.S - Mick still kicks ass. He doesn't attempt to hit the notes he hit when he was 20 years old, but it doesn't detract from the performance at all. Also, Mick is one sexy motherfucker". :wub:

What? I didnt realise you were gay.

Edited by xxAmandaxx

P.S - Mick still kicks ass. He doesn't attempt to hit the notes he hit when he was 20 years old, but it doesn't detract from the performance at all. Also, Mick is one sexy motherfucker. :wub:

What? I didnt realise you were gay.

I'm not gay, I have a girlfriend. :laugh:

...But seriously, look:

s6_gallery__470x328.jpg

You should have seen the guy in black. :shocked::wub:

Frankly, I dont think that Mick Jagger is sexy at all.

I think that he is said to be cause he's Mick Jagger. The reality is he's way way too thin and puny and very wrinkly.

Jesus woman, get over it! :D

Mick Jagger is Mick Jagger, and he's a sexy man. It's his stage moves that do it for me... :wub:

Ok, too far, I have friends that post here. Shaun, if you read this, I swear i'm not gay. :ph34r:

I think that he is said to be cause he's Mick Jagger. The reality is he's way way too thin and puny and very wrinkly.

Mick Jagger is Mick Jagger, and he's a sexy man. It's his stage moves that do it for me... :wub:

Ok, too far, I have friends that post here. Shaun, if you read this, I swear i'm not gay. :ph34r:

Hang on, Im a woman, and I say he's not sexy, he's too puny.

Youre a guy and not gay, but youre telling me that he is sexy. Um, what is wrong with this do you think?

And the little 'wub' faces after saying you think he's sexy, Shaun, whoever you are - watch out, dont bend over for the soap..if you know what I mean.

And the little 'wub' faces after saying you think he's sexy, Shaun, whoever you are - watch out, dont bend over for the soap..if you know what I mean.

:sleeper:

You claim you have a gay brother, yet you post stuff like that. :rolleyes:

On topic now, thanks.

Oh save it, your comments and :wub: 's were ridiculous and you know it.

On topic now, thanks.

What was ridiculous about it??

On topic now, thanks.

You are fucking stupid if you think every guy who has an opinion on another guys looks is gay

EDIT: and its nice to see you enjoyed yourself high :D

Edited by damian 1200

Hang on, Im a woman, and I say he's not sexy, he's too puny.

Youre a guy and not gay, but youre telling me that he is sexy. Um, what is wrong with this do you think?

I gotta agree with xxAmandaxx on this one! I have never in my life heard a guy refer to Mick as "sexy." He's not!!

Skipping ahead a bit to the next part that stood out - A Ray Charles number called "Night Time Is The Right Time (to be with the one you love)" which was done incredibly well. The big screen had all these pictures of Ray as a tribute to him, and they really grooved the song up. They had a black female backing singer, Lisa Fischer, who was given the chance to step up and sing the female parts of the song.

I have a bootleg from their Miami show where they do this song and they bring up Joss Stone to do the female part, it was an awesome duet.

Lisa is awesome too. I love when she sings that part in Gimme Shelter.

You are one lucky bastard. I hated their concert in Calgary. HATED IT. Keith stood rooted to his spot and made some embarrasing mistakes. Mick just bobbed his head a few times and couldn't sing for his life...

I guess it was just an off night. An off night that cost me a 124 $.

You are one lucky bastard. I hated their concert in Calgary. HATED IT. Keith stood rooted to his spot and made some embarrasing mistakes. Mick just bobbed his head a few times and couldn't sing for his life...

I guess it was just an off night. An off night that cost me a 124 $.

Would they have been able to re-schedule that show? Cause if so, they should have.