First CD single

mr.drummin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why does everyone think better should be the first single

to me it feels like most obvius first single material. it's so.. . noticable (can you say that?. It really draws attention to it and first time I've heard it I really felt that it said to me "Hey! Guns back, love it or leave it!" if ya know what I mean. :)

Ok on the day that the first single gets released, how do you think the general public will react. I'm not talking us diehard fans, just the radiostations, friends and family?

I dont see any of these songs getting a huge reaction. Probably kind of like the VR tunes. People will be curious but once they'll hear it, they'll say "It took 10 years do do THAT?"

Guest JohnUlmer

I think IRS would be a great first single. It's got the classic GN'R sound to it with some Led Zeppelin touches and industrial stuff. I think TWAT would be greeted with mixed reception, Better may alienate some people and CITR would be criticized that early on. It'd be better to wait for the album to hit and then release TWAT and CITR as singles, because people will kind of know what to expect. Otherwise, think about it: people familiar with SCOM, WTTJ, PC, etc. will be like, "A new GN'R song!" and begin listening to a song that sounds like Queen and John Lennon and be like, "Huh?"

Most likely it will be a ballsy rocker that we haven't heard yet. Perhaps the General or Prostitute. I would be really fucking shocked if it was a tune that we've already heard. To pull off the big ass comeback, Axl has to come out "Guns A Blazen" with a rocker in the tradition of Jungle or YCBM. The songs we've heard so far will make good follow up singles and album tracks, but he really needs that guitar wanking, demon screaming rock song to kick off the greatest comeback in Rock N Roll history.

Edited by Matty Boy

Most likely it will be a ballsy rocker that we haven't heard yet. Perhaps the General or Prostitute. I would be really fucking shocked if it was a tune that we've already heard. To pull off the big ass comeback Axl has to come out "Guns A Blazen" with a rocker in the tradition of Jungle or YCBM. The songs we've heard so far will make good follow up singles and album tracks but he really needs that guitar wanking, demon screaming rock song to kick off the greatest comeback in Rock N Roll history.

Agreed, well spoken MattyBoy.

If they want to score new fans and not get written off as another "comeback" band, better is the obvious choice. TWAT and Catcher in the Rye are too UYIey, and IRS is just too plain. I love all of the songs, don't get me wrong, but Better sends chills down my spine. Besides, all of my students who like rock music like better, the other songs get kind of mixed results.

So, better is better unless there is something better than better, but they'd better release it soon.

If the tracks we've already heard comprise ALL of chinese democracy then this should be their singles release order:

1) IRS

2) Madagascar

3) Better

However... I expect there to be a rocker on Chinese Democracy that is a stronger leadoff single than IRS.

Working at a radio station, I know that expecting a song over 5 minutes in length to receive fair airplay is very risky. In fact, on our setlist of 1,000+ songs, a fair number of the longest songs we play are already G'n'R including Paradise City & November Rain. Radio stations/TV stations will not publicize a song above a certain length because it causes problems with creating adequately timed setlists and promos. Catcher in the Rye and There was a Time (my two favorite songs on the album) should be left alone and left for the public to find on their own. They are the gems on the album. With the current state of the music industry, I'm sad to say that sales will not necessarily depend on the quality of the music but on the catchiness of simple licks and unique video adaptations. Remember that the main music-purchasing audience are teenagers and young adults. The thing missing from G'n'R right now is something that was absolutely essential to their initial success... image. With MTV offering little to no support nowadays to music sales, an albums success depends more and more on this idea of a general public image. G'n'R, upon return, will not endow the same pinball effect of bad boy image->girls love them->guys follow girls interests. Instead, with Axl making this magical album, the main audience he will attract are the true music critics and lovers. Sadly, these individuals are a true minority.

If Axl makes an amazing album like the songs we've sampled, he will sell 2-3x platinum in the U.S within a year. Please don't expect their to be any real musical revolution with Chinese Democracy coming out because the differences of opinion between fans like ourselves and the common person are vastly different.

Edited by Madagascar88

Agreed, better is an attention getter, follow that up with one of the ballads.

i dont like better that much.

Thank you!!! Someone who finally agrees with me. I don't think better is that special.

I think it should be IRS as first single because that got a really good response when released on the radio. I think that they need to release a song that is similar to old GNR first to get a really good response from the public.

If not IRS then CITR. Not better - nearly everyone who isn't a proper GNR fan who i have shown it too doesn't like it that much... :(

Thank you!!! Someone who finally agrees with me. I don't think better is that special.

I think it should be IRS as first single because that got a really good response when released on the radio. I think that they need to release a song that is similar to old GNR first to get a really good response from the public.

If not IRS then CITR. Not better - nearly everyone who isn't a proper GNR fan who i have shown it too doesn't like it that much... :(

GnR fans in your neck of the woods are not the same as those in mine, then. Seriously, Axl's voice in the middle of the song is worth it by itself!!

IRS is just too vanilla for their first single.

You can't start with a ballad. GnR is a rock band.

BTW, has anyone noticed the violin sounding keyboards in Better? Listen to the start of the song on your tweeter and either turn off the wolfer and you can really hear them. They continue for the whole song, but become harder to hear as the other instruments really kick in. It's almost as though there's another song going on in the background of the song. rock3 <-- He headbangs almost right to the beat of Better, too, just noticed that.

Finally some sane people!

If the tracks we've already heard comprise ALL of chinese democracy then this should be their singles release order:

1) IRS

2) Madagascar

3) Better

However... I expect there to be a rocker on Chinese Democracy that is a stronger leadoff single than IRS.

Working at a radio station, I know that expecting a song over 5 minutes in length to receive fair airplay is very risky. In fact, on our setlist of 1,000+ songs, a fair number of the longest songs we play are already G'n'R including Paradise City & November Rain. Radio stations/TV stations will not publicize a song above a certain length because it causes problems with creating adequately timed setlists and promos. Catcher in the Rye and There was a Time (my two favorite songs on the album) should be left alone and left for the public to find on their own. They are the gems on the album. With the current state of the music industry, I'm sad to say that sales will not necessarily depend on the quality of the music but on the catchiness of simple licks and unique video adaptations. Remember that the main music-purchasing audience are teenagers and young adults. The thing missing from G'n'R right now is something that was absolutely essential to their initial success... image. With MTV offering little to no support nowadays to music sales, an albums success depends more and more on this idea of a general public image. G'n'R, upon return, will not endow the same pinball effect of bad boy image->girls love them->guys follow girls interests. Instead, with Axl making this magical album, the main audience he will attract are the true music critics and lovers. Sadly, these individuals are a true minority.

If Axl makes an amazing album like the songs we've sampled, he will sell 2-3x platinum in the U.S within a year. Please don't expect their to be any real musical revolution with Chinese Democracy coming out because the differences of opinion between fans like ourselves and the common person are vastly different.

Great post!

I do also hope that none of the songs we've heard yet will be the first single. Some of them are great, but none suits for a comeback.

TWAT and CIRT are ballads but we need a rocker for the first single. IRS isn't strong enough and Better is too nu-metal-style.

I hope uncle axl has a song that kicks everybody's ass, a true rocker, like wttj or ycbm

I'm sure it will be BIG and SUCCESSFUL, and the song will have a video rotating on MTV every half hour. C'mon it's GUNS N' ROSES, i don't expect less. As for which songs should make it as the first single, i'd have to hear CD before making any retarded prediction, but like i said in other post, the strongest track in my opinion are BETTER, CITR and THE BLUES.