Will the new G 'n' R be able to sell out arenas?

Rattlesnake Suitcase

A lot of folk on the board seem to be taking for granted that the nu-Guns will be doing a massive arena tour when the time comes to hit the road. rock3 Although i agree that these upcoming club shows in NYC will easily sell out, it's fair to point out that when the real tour starts in promotion of CD later this year there is no guarantee that G'n'R will be able to perform at the level they did on their previous massive arena tours. A lot of the Euro summer shows are festivals with other bands involved, so these don't really show that Guns are the major draw. So, IF CD sales slow after the initial rush to buy it from the faithful, then the band will surely have to down grade from arenas just like lots of other big bands have over the years.

Remember, this is an act with a bad rep in the US/Canada after the last aborted tour, they've also been away from the big league for some 13 years and of course, the oriiginal guys the older fanbase identified with are no longer involved. This means there are absolutely no guarantees that G'n'R will be as massive as they once were. Perhaps the biggest indicator of their waning fanbase though are US sales figures of the 'live era' and 'greatest hits' which stand at a paltry (in comparison) 312,000 and 2.5 million respectively. So what do YOU think. Can Guns still deliver arena rock to sold out masses or will they have to play smaller venues and accept that the glory days are over? rock1

Edited by Rattlesnake Suitcase

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In contrast to a lot of your other posts, this one makes a lot of sense ;)

I don't think that we'll see a sustained large volume sale of Chi Dem and I don't think we'll see a huge stadium/arena tour like the old days.

But really, I'm ok with that. As long as I get Chi Dem and as long as I get tickets to the shows I'm ok. I've LOVE to see them in a smaller venue than a larger venue.

A lot of folk on the board seem to be taking for granted that the nu-Guns will be doing a massive arena tour when the time comes to hit the road. rock3 Although i agree that these upcoming club shows in NYC will easily sell out, it's fair to point out that when the real tour starts in promotion of CD later this year there is no guarantee that G'n'R will be able to perform at the level they did on their previous massive arena tours. A lot of the Euro summer shows are festivals with other bands involved, so these don't really show that Guns are the major draw. So, IF CD sales slow after the initial rush to buy it from the faithful, then the band will surely have to down grade from arenas just like lots of other big bands have over the years.

Remember, this is an act with a bad rep in the US/Canada after the last aborted tour, they've also been away from the big league for some 13 years and of course, the oriiginal guys the older fanbase identified with are no longer involved. This means there are absolutely no guarantees that G'n'R will be as massive as they once were. Perhaps the biggest indicator of their waning fanbase though are US sales figures of the 'live era' and 'greatest hits' which stand at a poultry (in comparison) 312,000 and 2.5 million respectively. So what do YOU think. Can Guns still deliver arena rock to sold out masses or will they have to play smaller venues and accept that the glory days are over? rock1

LOok,as long as Axl turns up then of course there shows will sell out! Theres more fans out thier than most care to realise or even contemplate! Easy answer IMO!

Yes,

Every hand, every stadium,

Everything,

Will bow,

To Guns

N'

Freakin'

Roses.

How can anything compare to one of the hugest groups ever's second comeback tour with on of the most heavily anticipated in history ready to be showcased? This tour will be the first of many, sell-out stadium tours. They will reclaim the crown of Ultimate Stadium Rockers.

Remember, this is an act with a bad rep in the US/Canada after the last aborted tour, they've also been away from the big league for some 13 years and of course, the oriiginal guys the older fanbase identified with are no longer involved. This means there are absolutely no guarantees that G'n'R will be as massive as they once were. Perhaps the biggest indicator of their waning fanbase though are US sales figures of the 'live era' and 'greatest hits' which stand at a poultry (in comparison) 312,000 and 2.5 million respectively. So what do YOU think. Can Guns still deliver arena rock to sold out masses or will they have to play smaller venues and accept that the glory days are over? rock1

You mean paltry.

As far as your post goes, we will just have to wait and see.

You mean paltry.

As far as your post goes, we will just have to wait and see.

Gotta love that edit feature. :rofl-lol: Thanks for paying such close attention 'teach' :P

IMO... it all depends on advertising...

QUEEN and Paul Rogers was with great arguability the best rock show i've been to and it was in a half full arena cuz of no advertisement.

No, i think you'll find that was due to NO FREDDIE MERCURY! :book:

I think i saw the show...and know that they were amazing... a little better publicity and they woulda sold way more tickets...just watch what happens now that they were on american idol

Too hard to tell as of now. I can see a lot of people that arent too up to date with GNR and see the name Guns N' Roses and think, "SWEET!!!" The name really sells itself, so maybe. But its hard to tell now.

Edited by sweetness

In contrast to a lot of your other posts, this one makes a lot of sense ;)

Ahem... All my posts make sense if you read them enough times. :P

I don't think that we'll see a sustained large volume sale of Chi Dem and I don't think we'll see a huge stadium/arena tour like the old days.

I agree. It's been so long and things are so different now i just can't see this one running up big figures, unless it's an undeniable masterpiece. Somehow though i just don't think it will be a Dark side of the Moon or a Physical Graffiti or whatever. Even three or four great tracks won't be enough to appease the critics and fans alike enough to make up for the time spent making it. :ph34r:

But really, I'm ok with that. As long as I get Chi Dem and as long as I get tickets to the shows I'm ok. I've LOVE to see them in a smaller venue than a larger venue.

Me too! Arena gigs have the spectacle but little else. Big bands in smaller venues fuckin rock! It would be amazing to see someone with the live presence of Axl Rose so close you could count the pin pricks from his botox injections! (just joking Axl-lites) :P

A lot of the Euro summer shows are festivals with other bands involved, so these don't really show that Guns are the major draw.

I can understand what your saying, but to be honest I think when guns were announced on most of these festivals they sold more tickets! so I dont think most people can argue with that..

Cheers.

Based on 2002, the answer is clearly no, at least if he ever tries to tour the US with his current lineup...and I would bet 25% that show up to the concerts expect to see Slash, Izzy and Duff.

I'd say it's much more than 25%..

-Kickingthehabit

Probably, but I was trying to pick a number that even the Axl supporters couldn't argue against.

Without the cd being released no frickin way. I was at msg in 2002 and they were practically sold out and it was a damn snowstorm that night, but can that happen in the midwest and down south, na i doubt it. They need the cd a video and lots of promotion.

Yes they will be able to sell out arenas. The last tour was advertised half assed and should not be held for comparison. With an album, expected promo etc and the anticipation of a whole lot more people knowing guns is back with make this huge.