Rolling Stones: A Bigger Bang

coolio GNR

I've been thinking about going out and buying A Bigger Bang because I like some of the songs on there such as: "Rough Justice", "Rain Fall Down", and "This Place is Empty". Does anyone have it and can tell me if it is worth buying or not?

Edited by coolio GNR

Fantastic album! Not memorable at all, but great to listen to. You have to get it to understand.

Biggest Mistake is nice ... So is Let Me Down Slow, and It Won't Take Long is cool too ... Man, the whole album is great! I love it.

I think Rough Justice is a memorable song. I think its one of those, you know classic songs. I've decided I'm going to buy it thanks for all of your input

Fantastic album! Not memorable at all, but great to listen to. You have to get it to understand.

Biggest Mistake is nice ... So is Let Me Down Slow, and It Won't Take Long is cool too ... Man, the whole album is great! I love it.

I think Rough Justice is a memorable song. I think its one of those, you know classic songs. I've decided I'm going to buy it thanks for all of your input

Ooh I forgot that one

There are others that I can't get off my head, even though I own the album since it came out ... Some riffs, Streets Of Love ... Great album indeed

Guest JohnUlmer

It's okay. Kind of sad to see grandpas singing rock songs like that, though. They really should have quit while they were ahead - back in the mid-'70s.

It's okay. Kind of sad to see grandpas singing rock songs like that, though. They really should have quit while they were ahead - back in the mid-'70s.

i think it's cool that they keep rockin'. they're not embarrasing themselves like Dylan does with his shoddy performances. they're still writing cool tunes and they put on a good show. more power to 'em.

Let me tell you - I saw them live last week, and they moved better than most guys a quarter of their age. Regardless of their age, the Stones still fucking rock.

The album is good - solid - not amazing, but definately worth owning. :)

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

i think it's cool that they keep rockin'. they're not embarrasing themselves like Dylan does with his shoddy performances. they're still writing cool tunes and they put on a good show. more power to 'em.

Have you even seen Dylan live recently? He puts on a great show.

Guest PULPY

Yes! Get it. :) Though I prefer Goats Head Soup. :)

Not a vert apt comparison. :unsure:

I know. :( But it's just the truth, as I think he should get a bigger bang, but I would choose Goats head soup over it. (I was listenin to goats head on vinyl yesterday, maybe that's why I said it.)

Yes! Get it. :) Though I prefer Goats Head Soup. :)

Not a vert apt comparison. :unsure:

I know. :( But it's just the truth, as I think he should get a bigger bang, but I would choose Goats head soup over it. (I was listenin to goats head on vinyl yesterday, maybe that's why I said it.)

I listened to it on vinyl this week as well.

yes, he was here this last weekend with Merle Haggard. he rushed through all the songs and his voice was terrible. he acted very dis-interested. Merle on the other hand was awesome. here's a good review of the show.

Hey, it ain't pretty, babe - it's DylanBy ROBERT PHILPOT

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

Saturday night at Nokia was no different.GRAND PRAIRIE -- As Bob Dylan croaked his way through Queen Jane Approximately Saturday night at Nokia Theatre, it was easy to wonder if he was going to make it all the way through the show. This was only the fourth song, after all, and Dylan already sounded so ragged you could practically see the inflammation of his larynx.

That Dylan never could sing, of course, is a myth perpetuated by people who just didn't listen closely enough. His full-throated vocals during the 1960s and the '70s, along with a lot of cigarettes and hard living, probably helped his voice get to the ragged state it's in today. Once again, though, he proved that the great rock voice doesn't have to be a traditionally great voice.

Dylan bounced back a couple of numbers later, with an astonishing triptych of versions of It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding); Don't Think Twice, It's Alright; and Highway 61 Revisited. As is his wont, he messed with the vocals and the arrangements, especially in It's Alright Ma, where his staccato spitting of the lines was so rapid, it took a couple of seconds to figure out what he was singing.

You have to wonder how much the guy has left in him, but he rises above his shortcomings -- or just runs them down -- and he was helped by a great band. Much of his set had aloofness about it, from his rarely talking to the crowd to the staging that had half the auditorium looking at his back. Only during the encore, which featured a dynamite version of All Along the Watchtower, did he seem to warm up a little.

Merle Haggard, who took the first half of this double bill, was in peak form. If Dylan's age shows in his voice, Haggard's doesn't show at all. As he sang Today I Started Loving You Again and Mama Tried, he sounded as good as he did in the '60s. Haggard soared throughout, especially during his tributes to Bob Wills and Lefty Frizzell. It'd be hard to ask for a better beginning to a night featuring two iconic troubadours.

GRADE: B+

Edited by artfromtex

yes, he was here this last weekend with Merle Haggard. he rushed through all the songs and his voice was terrible. he acted very dis-interested. Merle on the other hand was awesome. here's a good review of the show.

Hey, it ain't pretty, babe - it's DylanBy ROBERT PHILPOT

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

Saturday night at Nokia was no different.GRAND PRAIRIE -- As Bob Dylan croaked his way through Queen Jane Approximately Saturday night at Nokia Theatre, it was easy to wonder if he was going to make it all the way through the show. This was only the fourth song, after all, and Dylan already sounded so ragged you could practically see the inflammation of his larynx.

That Dylan never could sing, of course, is a myth perpetuated by people who just didn't listen closely enough. His full-throated vocals during the 1960s and the '70s, along with a lot of cigarettes and hard living, probably helped his voice get to the ragged state it's in today. Once again, though, he proved that the great rock voice doesn't have to be a traditionally great voice.

Dylan bounced back a couple of numbers later, with an astonishing triptych of versions of It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding); Don't Think Twice, It's Alright; and Highway 61 Revisited. As is his wont, he messed with the vocals and the arrangements, especially in It's Alright Ma, where his staccato spitting of the lines was so rapid, it took a couple of seconds to figure out what he was singing.

You have to wonder how much the guy has left in him, but he rises above his shortcomings -- or just runs them down -- and he was helped by a great band. Much of his set had aloofness about it, from his rarely talking to the crowd to the staging that had half the auditorium looking at his back. Only during the encore, which featured a dynamite version of All Along the Watchtower, did he seem to warm up a little.

Merle Haggard, who took the first half of this double bill, was in peak form. If Dylan's age shows in his voice, Haggard's doesn't show at all. As he sang Today I Started Loving You Again and Mama Tried, he sounded as good as he did in the '60s. Haggard soared throughout, especially during his tributes to Bob Wills and Lefty Frizzell. It'd be hard to ask for a better beginning to a night featuring two iconic troubadours.

GRADE: B+

I guess things have changed.