Zeppelin or the Smiths

Genesis

Led Zeppelin or the Smiths?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re: the live thing, it really depends on what era of Zeppelin you're talking about.

To be as influential as Page, you'd have to be Jimi Hendrix.

Oh come on dude,

Page is no where near the most influentual guitarist, he might of inspired people to pick up the guitar but his style was not influentual, and he didn't do anything new.

re: the live thing, it really depends on what era of Zeppelin you're talking about.

Oh come on dude,

Page is no where near the most influentual guitarist, he might of inspired people to pick up the guitar but his style was not influentual, and he didn't do anything new.

I guess somebody forgot to tell that to all the people that picked up stuff from him...

Zeppelin.

Why?

The Smiths aren't really my style. And Zeppelin are my favourite band, if you ask me. Not counting the Beatles of course.

EDIT: Dude, have you seen how many times Kashmir has been sampled? God!

Edited by Yamisonic

Oh come on dude,

I guess somebody forgot to tell that to all the people that picked up stuff from him...

All the people such as??

Oh come on dude,

All the people such as??

Put it this way. Everytime I go to a guitar store I hear someone cranking out Black Dog, Good Times Bad Times, Communication Breakdown, or Whole Lotta Love to name a few.

Everytime I step into the acoustic guitar section I hear someone doing White Summer, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Ramble On etc.

Oh come on dude,

All the people such as??

Put it this way. Everytime I go to a guitar store I hear someone cranking out Black Dog, Good Times Bad Times, Communication Breakdown, or Whole Lotta Love to name a few.

Everytime I step into the acoustic guitar section I hear someone doing White Summer, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Ramble On etc.

I personally hear no one play any Zep when i walk into a guitar store :lol:

It's all Gilbert, Satch, Vai.

What i was trying to say was that in the 80's i can hear little Page in people's playing. While i can hear the influence of guitarists like KK. Downing, Steve Hackett, Jeff Beck easily.

Edited by johnezz

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Page is a thief, and he sure as hell is a good one, he did such a good job you people are calling him influential. Led Zeppelin were the greatest at what they did for about a decade, but there were a plethora of other groups doing the same thing. Now, go back to the mid-80's and show me any peer to The Smiths, they were an entirely original concept. Those of you who say Zeppelin's lyrics are better, what? Morrissey's lyrics brought songs in directions not previously imagined, the only lyricist who broke as much ground as Moz was Bob Dylan. And now in defense of Johnny Marr, his textures, his detail, and his songwriting was unparalleled at the time. And guess what? He wasn't just playing second-rate blues licks.

In terms of:

Originality : The Smiths

Songwriting : The Smiths (It was all about the songs)

Musicianship : Led Zeppelin (although they abused it)

Who do I prefer?

The Smiths, and I'll be happy to continue this debate with all of you.

Guest zipgunboogie

*cries* *shakes head*

ODS i love you

you know where i stand.....i believe it is all just personal taste.....i really could not name a smiths song so i cant really say or debate with you...

all i know is that for a rock n roll band..no one was greater than zep......no one was as Unique...alright ive said me peace

*cries* *shakes head*

ODS i love you

you know where i stand.....i believe it is all just personal taste.....i really could not name a smiths song so i cant really say or debate with you...

all i know is that for a rock n roll band..no one was greater than zep......no one was as Unique...alright ive said me peace

I'm sorry dear.

Guest katie

haha

mah deah! the appaling, predictable awefulness of the majoroty!

i say the smiths, to be predictable, but they are truly the real winners

anyway, i have used lots of syllables in this sentence, so therefore the smiths should be better on that ground alone

I love both, but I voted Led Zeppelin.

On a GNR forum, it's going to be a hard time for The Smiths.

Well, i wouldn't know cause im only into my Green fuck records and so i don't know shite about anything else, certainly don't know shit about Gnr. Must be some sort of hooray for tolerance! who wears lipstick and wears eyeliner and all that crap. Oh hang on, guess that means i can vote The Smiths right?! :kiss:

Probaly my 2 favourite bands, both very different and brilliant in there own way but at the moment im liking the smiths more. musically zeppelin were better, but just because the smiths didnt show off dont think that they wernt anything but great, andy rourke and mike joyce were every bit as tight as jpj and bonham, they just didnt have the showcase and marr was just amazing imo, but lyrically the smiths were so much better and original its untrue, singing about squeezing lemons and working to pay for another man kinda gets a bit samey after time. this could be a good debate if people actually bothered to listen to the smiths before automatically saying zeppelin are much better

i hate the smiths.. especially morriseys voice

zep for me

This coming from the guy who loves emo, BEST.POST.EVER!

Edited by Nightrain_Kid

zep for me

This coming from the gut who loves emo, BEST.POST.EVER!

I did find that a little unusual myself.

Probaly my 2 favourite bands, both very different and brilliant in there own way but at the moment im liking the smiths more. musically zeppelin were better, but just because the smiths didnt show off dont think that they wernt anything but great, andy rourke and mike joyce were every bit as tight as jpj and bonham, they just didnt have the showcase and marr was just amazing imo, but lyrically the smiths were so much better and original its untrue, singing about squeezing lemons and working to pay for another man kinda gets a bit samey after time. this could be a good debate if people actually bothered to listen to the smiths before automatically saying zeppelin are much better

zep for me

i love emo.. so what?

zep for me

i love emo.. so what?

The Smiths influenced Emo heavily, only they were actually good.