Is The World Really Waiting On Axl Rose?

D-GenerationX

I want to throw something out there.

It seems we have a lot of folks here that think the new CD is highly anticipated by the masses.

My question is...is it?

Most of my friends (who I have all driven nuts with my obsessive fanatical behavior) have pretty much given up on the guy. They all say the same thing. That they will give it a listen if it ever comes out, but they are not exactly holding their breath.

I think this is the reaction more people than we might care to admit have.

The leaks generated some hype, and certainly achieved critical aclaim. Those who know anything will be waiting on him, as many have been since the start, and the announcement of the album. Although not the world, a good deal will be waiting, albiet mostly fans, but also people who wanna see what this guy can do, and I firmly believe that the world, or just those who want it, will see that it's worth their wait.

The general public does NOT wait for Axl Rose, it's ridiculous to think that!

Hell, most of the general public still believes it's the original line-up.

If the MUSIC is top-notch, then Axl will rule the music scene again, but nobody's waiting for "that rock dude from the 80s"...

I've just made a similar remark in my thread below this one.

The vast majority of people do not give a two-bit shit about Axl Rose. CD is not highly anticipated by the masses. It is rather viewed like one looks at a freak - with a perverse interest that doesn't reflect well on the freak or the gawper.

Most people's last memory of Axl Rose was a bloated, corn-rowed, botoxed, gangsta-wannabe "wig-wearing fuck". We might not like Weiland, but he expressed the views of a hell of a lot of people. Axl did himself no favours by putting in a diabolical performance at the 2002 VMAs. To most people who have an opinion of him these days, he's just a washed-up rock star.

He better pull out all the stops come summer this year.

I've just made a similar remark in my thread below this one.

The vast majority of people do not give a two-bit shit about Axl Rose. CD is not highly anticipated by the masses. It is rather viewed like one looks at a freak - with a perverse interest that doesn't reflect well on the freak or the gawper.

Most people's last memory of Axl Rose was a bloated, corn-rowed, botoxed, gangsta-wannabe "wig-wearing fuck". We might not like Weiland, but he expressed the views of a hell of a lot of people. Axl did himself no favours by putting in a diabolical performance at the 2002 VMAs. To most people who have an opinion of him these days, he's just a washed-up rock star.

He better pull out all the stops come summer this year.

EXCELLENT post right here.

That VMA performance was an absolute killer. I'm sure I was not the only one hear who took non-stop shit from their friends for weeks afterwards.

Of course, it didn't help that I told almost literally everyone I know to make sure they watched once word got out that day they were going to be there.

And, I know a lot of you don't want to hear this or dismiss it as no big deal, Axl's look is a problem. He looks fucking ridiculous. I know that should have no bearing on opinion, but this is the world we live in.

Most people think of Axl Rose as some recluse who let fame drive him into seclusion and insanity. So when you re-emerge with fucking cornrows and what sure appeared to be ill advised plastic surgery, you have not really done your part to dipel that sentiment, now have you?.

Frankly, this is the main reason I couldn't sign on to Buckethead. This new line-up has an uphill climb as it is in terms of credibility. A freak show like Buckethead did not help on that front.

That said, once I heard him on the leaks...I want him back. :(

no they're not waiting....

many of my friends who do like gnr didnt even know axl had a band..the ones that do watched the VMA's and think he's not good now but still love old gnr greatly...

most people around dont listen to rock but have heard a song or two from gnr they like...such as paradise city or WTTJ....so they're def. not waiting...

I do think once the album/single hits..if people like the music and it gets radio play..then people will be interested in GnR

Edited by GnR lives on

The world is not fucking waiting. The number of people actually waiting like us here on this forum is so fucking small it's irrelevant. People who think Axl and Guns N Roses has some chance of being major icons once again is completely moronic and lack any handle on the musical landscape today.

Axl who? wasn't he in that boy band back in the 90's? No he's that thug rapster from the hood' that got shot.

Wait didn't he used to dance for Britiney?

Is he popular? current? on my Ipod? My granpa used to listen to Guns and Roses back in the 80's

I want to throw something out there.

It seems we have a lot of folks here that think the new CD is highly anticipated by the masses.

My question is...is it?

Most of my friends (who I have all driven nuts with my obsessive fanatical behavior) have pretty much given up on the guy. They all say the same thing. That they will give it a listen if it ever comes out, but they are not exactly holding their breath.

I think this is the reaction more people than we might care to admit have.

I don't really care if the rest of the world want him or the CD all i know is it has become my obsession also. I rush home from work everyday just to see the latest. usually on this site. anyone who is not an axl rose lover just wouldn.t understand. I usually don't post i just read the other ppost and dream of the day. i know it will blow me away. I relate to axl.

Is the world waiting for Axl Rose? No.

Were they waiting for him 20 years ago? No.

Advantage once again goes to Axl Rose if he can produce the music. Nobody knew him 20 years ago. If no one thinks he's around now, then he has the upper hand if he does this right. People keep complaining about the VMA performance, which showcased the new band. So, why are people thinking that no one will know the band has changed, yet, they mention that everyone knows what Axl looks like with the new band? Some of you need to give your heads a shake. If people saw the VMAs, they saw the new band. Anyone who didn't see it, has no idea what Axl is trying to do. Once again, advantage Axl, but only if he does this right.

Once again I'm in trouble with my only friend

She is papering the window panes

She is putting on a smile

Living in a glass house

Once again packed like frozen food and battery hens

Think of all the starving millions

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones

Your royal highnesses

Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat

Well of course I'd like to stay and chew the fat

But someone's listening in

Once again we are hungry for a lynching

That's a strange mistake to make

You should turn the other cheek

Living in a glass house

Well of course I'd like to stay and chew the fat

Only only only only only only only only only only....

There's someone listening in

T.Yorke

:)

Love K.

I think that although people may not care very much about Axl, they do have a passing interest. After all, I always ask modern kids what picture comes into their heads when they think of the 80s and they all say the same thing: Axl Rose with his bandana in Sweet Child o' Mine.

I would disagree with those who say that most people don't know who Axl Rose is. The vast majority know of him - either by look or by reputation. That's quite an achievement considering he's been locked away for 13 years.

He has the best platform any band could possibly wish for to launch from: the name Guns N Roses. It is probably more synomynous with rock n' roll to the modern generation than Zeppelin or the Stones.

I know he's still capable of blowing people away with his performances, but he has to get in shape and dress more like a 44 year old rock star is supposed to. I know, I don't really give a shit how he looks either, but as Gen-X said, this generation do. They want to see someone who looks cool, and the Axl of 2002 didn't.

He needs to drop the weight (looks like he has already), sort the wardrobe, rehearse and rehearse, re-hone his voice, avoid songs that he obviously finds difficult to sing, stop running about the stage so much, be more media-friendly without being a brown-nose (an appearance on Letterman or, in England, the Jonathan Ross Show would go down a treat), and he needs to show the world that Guns N Roses can still be relevant and that Axl Rose can still deliver the spell-binding performances of old that got so many of us hooked on GNR.

Advantage once again goes to Axl Rose if he can produce the music. Nobody knew him 20 years ago. If no one thinks he's around now, then he has the upper hand if he does this right. People keep complaining about the VMA performance, which showcased the new band. So, why are people thinking that no one will know the band has changed, yet, they mention that everyone knows what Axl looks like with the new band? Some of you need to give your heads a shake. If people saw the VMAs, they saw the new band. Anyone who didn't see it, has no idea what Axl is trying to do. Once again, advantage Axl, but only if he does this right.

Some good points here but i'll counter with this. The world WAS waiting for Axl Rose/Guns 'n' Roses twenty years ago, they just didn't know it until he/they hit them like a fucking freight train! rock3

This is ironic. The most diehard 80s rock fan, the guy who got ME into GnR, isn't waiting for CD. He's like "I'll listen to it, and laugh at you when it sucks."

Of course, this is the same guy who says Appetite was the greatest album of all time AND THE ONLY GOOD CD THEY EVER MADE.

I think a lot of the old fans are worried about the direction--a lot of people didn't like Oh My God; and I hate to join the beating party, but he didn't look so hot at the VMAs...the canceled tours, etc.

He's dug himself into a lot of holes. But I think if anyone can make this kind of a comeback, it's Axl Rose.

Also, about the VMAs--the crowd's going pretty fucking crazy--so I don't nkow if you can say that he's not a hit anymore.

Like the man himself said, "It's like, how do you take something that got so big, and replace virtually every person--and how do you make a bunch of guys who are already something else, and make em into something that already was? I don't think it's quite been done like this before."

He's got a tough hill to climb. But on the other side lies the paradise city.

Some good points here but i'll counter with this. The world WAS waiting for Axl Rose/Guns 'n' Roses twenty years ago, they just didn't know it until he/they hit them like a fucking freight train! rock3

It's true that both decades are similar. The 80s was in need of something to get out of pompous music and glam rock, and now we're just looking to get out of pompous music. There's just a feeling of difference today. There are too many bands who actually claim that they're here to save Rock N' Roll like they are some sort of superheroes dressed in fake leather. This is where the silence helps Axl. He hasn't promised to save the music business, yet, with the right stuff, he could take it for an interesting ride. The silence has kept him separate long enough, so when he does come back, it could have quite an impact, if a successful album backs it up with damn good tunes.