The genius behind The Beatles

kevdo242

Got the idea for this thread from another thread in this section.

I'm kinda divided on this, because McCartney did write a lot of their best songs, yet Lennon was more experimental (especially on Tomorrow Never Knows).

I'm not the best at discussing this so I hope someone here can help get the ball rolling.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

At the time of the recording of Rubber Soul, George Martin said that Paul was the most experimental of the group. I think John got on to that track a little more heavily later on, but it's important to know that they were both innovators.

What's the answer? No answer. They obviously couldn't have been The Beatles if they weren't both in the group. Just look at them in their prime, they were capable of releasing a double A-side with "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane". Do you know what else was on the single for "Happy Together" by The Turtles? I sure as hell don't. This is what put them so far ahead of the others, the fact that there were 2 geniuses behind the group and they were able to write more songs, and more great songs, than anyone else.

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

As I stated many times before I think that Macca is a better songwriter than Lennon. Although Lennon is/was far beyond everything anyone in today's music scene is capable to write.

But back than Lennon became so political and I think his musical abilities suffered while he tried to save the world.

Guest PULPY

The whole point of them labelling the songs lennon-mccartney was so that people wouldn't do this.

what the heck though.

to be completely honest, the beatles are one of the bands where i dont track down who wrote them and the lyrics and stuff because i get really confused over their voices, it's not like izzy and axl. and i do know john and paul's apart just not all the time. so i try to just enjoy the music. :)

I heard that Mccartney wrote almost all the songs on the band,and John gave him a little help on everyone that he has the credit with Macca.

I believe Paul is the real genius in the band.

Pfft bollocks

John was the genius from (album-wise) Please Please Me up to Beatles For Sale.

In Help!, McCartney and Lennon had equal genius level.

Rubber Soul to Magical Mystery Tour was the McCartney era.

The White Album was owned by Lennon

In Abbey Road all were equally genius, and in Let It Be McCartney was the "genius" ... Let It Be isn't very good IMO

That's how I see it. I love both, though Lennon a little more.

I heard that Mccartney wrote almost all the songs on the band,and John gave him a little help on everyone that he has the credit with Macca.

Pfft bollocks

John was the genius from (album-wise) Please Please Me up to Beatles For Sale.

In Help!, McCartney and Lennon had equal genius level.

Rubber Soul to Magical Mystery Tour was the McCartney era.

In Abbey Road all were equally genius, and in Let It Be McCartney was the "genius" ... Let It Be isn't very good IMO

That's how I see it. I love both, though Lennon a little more.

Thats right. Lennon formed the group and had the most input song wise. He is regarded by experts as the genius behind the Beatles and if you read 'historical' accounts it becomes obvious.

I don't like McCartney at all. John Lennon on the other hand is a god.

Thats right. Lennon formed the group and had the most input song wise. He is regarded by experts as the genius behind the Beatles and if you read 'historical' accounts it becomes obvious.

you won't find any so called expert that will say Lennon was the genius behind the band. ;)

As I said if you in fact study historical accounts you will discover that towards the end lennon was way less focused on the music than macca . and in this phase Macca was the main driving force even on The White Album.

Of course Lennon was essential to the Beatles but you won't find facts that he was THE genius just because you dislike McCartney.

Just listen to what both did after the beatles split up and compare.

no beatles without lennon, no beatles without mccartney.

just like the new guns...i think axl is great and the music will be great...

i guess axl's the better songwriter now, but

without slash's gtr parts and punk duff it's just not guns.

fuck that i want chinese democracy now

you won't find any so called expert that will say Lennon was the genius behind the band. ;)

Oh really? That's not what Ive always heard/read!!

And the reason I dont like McCartney has nothing to do with the Beatles. It's from years of hearing nothing but what is to my ears, boring dull and uninspired songs, compared to the genius of Lennon's solo work.

He may have written some of the highlights, but most of the album was Paul's. I don't agree at all.

And the reason I dont like McCartney has nothing to do with the Beatles. It's from years of hearing nothing but what is to my ears, boring dull and uninspired songs, compared to the genius of Lennon's solo work.

Don't worry everyone who can hold a pen writes about this subject and is an expert. In the end its a matter of taste. You think Macca is boring and you think that Lennon is a god. someone else thinks differently for sure.

There's no ultimate truth that "experts" could reveal. Its their opinion.

Don't worry everyone who can hold a pen writes about this subject and is an expert. In the end its a matter of taste. You think Macca is boring and you think that Lennon is a god. someone else thinks differently for sure.

There's no ultimate truth that "experts" could reveal. Its their opinion.

'Spose. ;)

Lennons solo career wasnt genius, he put out a few great tracks but thats it really

Lennons solo career wasnt genius, he put out a few great tracks but thats it really

Everything Lennon did was genius.

He may have written some of the highlights, but most of the album was Paul's. I don't agree at all.

Well yeah, it's kinda wrong. The White Album had lots of McCartney in it ... Anyway, things like Revolution 9 had never been done before. And Lennon has some of my favourite songs there, Cry, Baby, Cry, Sexy Sadie, Dear Prudence, Glass Onion, some cool stuff.

Everything Lennon did was genius.

Except split up the beatles

Well, Lennon had Strawberry Fields Forever, I Am The Walrus, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds among others.

I heard there was a dispute over which was released, I Am The Walrus or Hello Goodbye. I prefer IATW, but I can see how Hello Goodbye would appeal more to the public.

It's not a very important matter, but I feel obliged to correct you: Lennon wrote more songs than McCartney on the White Album.

Back in the U.S.S.R

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Wild Honey Pie

Martha My Dear

Blackbird

Rocky Raccoon

Why Don't We Do It in the Road?

I Will

Birthday

Mother Nature's Son

Honey Pie

11 songs.

Dear Prudence

Glass Onion

The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

Happiness is a Warm Gun

I'm So Tired

Julia

Yer Blues

Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey

Sexy Sadie

Revolution 1

Cry Baby Cry

Revolution 9

Good Night

13 songs.

Pleasure being corrected by you old friend.

I suppose I was just thinking of all McCartney's songs that I love.