Hammerstein Ballroom seating? GA?

Appetite 4 Axl

I've been to several GnR shows between '91 and '02

..and I've yet to see one that wasn't electric

on stage OR in the audience

Electricity does have Voltage Degrees though.........been to a few myself.....No Kid Here.....

I don't know the answer to your Q, but this "Hammerstein" place looks familiar.

November Rain?

hammerstein_ballroom.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------

The Manhattan Center was constructed in 1906 by Oscar Hammerstein as an alternative to the popular yet comparatively expensive Metropolitan Opera. In 1910, the Metropolitan Opera paid Hammerstein $1.2 million USD to stop operating the Manhattan Center as an opera venue for ten years. This led to the elaborately decorated Hammerstein Ballroom being used for a variety of events, including vaudeville performances.

The ownership of the center changed hands multiple times over the next few decades, with the ballroom being used as a Freemason's temple in the 1930s and a trade union headquarters in the 1940s before falling into disuse in the 1970s. The center was expanded to Manhattan Center Studios in 1986, and in 1997 the Hammerstein Ballroom underwent considerable renovations, with the hand painted ceiling frescos being completely restored.

The Hammerstein Ballroom has seen performances from a wide variety of musical acts, including Oasis, Nine Inch Nails, Trey Anastasio, The Offspring, Incubus, Radiohead, Moby, the Beastie Boys, Wu-Tang Clan, PJ Harvey, Kelly Clarkson, Kanye West, Ashlee Simpson, O-Town and Shoshana Bean. Korn's first live DVD was recorded at the Hammerstein Ballroom, while on July 7, 1999, Britney Spears performed ...Baby One More Time in front of a sold out crowd of 3,000 people .

I was skeptical until I saw that Ashlee played there. Now we KNOW it has a good sound system.

To be clear, when I said "find an open seat", I did mean "occupy a space standing in front of an open seat".

I've sat for exactly one "concert" in my life....if you can call taking my kids to see the Wiggles a concert. :)

Is there much moshing at a Wiggles gig?

Actually, given the number of toddlers trying to dance....it does sorta have that look to it, at times. :)

I'll be in 2nd Mezz for the show on the 15th.

To be clear, when I said "find an open seat", I did mean "occupy a space standing in front of an open seat".

I've sat for exactly one "concert" in my life....if you can call taking my kids to see the Wiggles a concert. :)

Actually, given the number of toddlers trying to dance....it does sorta have that look to it, at times. :)

Does the 2nd Mezz have benches or actual seats? Does the floor have seating too?

Does the 2nd Mezz have benches or actual seats? Does the floor have seating too?

The floor does not have seating.

I honestly can't remember what style of seating was in the Mezz. I'm tempted to say it's "actual seats", not benches, but it's been about 7 years since I was up there in one of the balconies....and my memory might be a bit hazy.

my experience with small venue G/A floor shows (Velvet Revolver,NIN etc.)is this

the closer you venture towards the stage,the crazier it gets...up front is total insanity

I use to be fine with it once upon a time..

but,if you don't want to worry about getting a boot in the face...hang back

there's always a little space when you hang back...and you can move around when that 6 foot 7in knob comes and stands right in front of you...lol

I know this is standard info for most...but there seems to be some people who are new to the concert experience who are wondering about it.

sooo...there ya go

go close...get crushed

hang back...a looser environment

(and keep in mind...further back at a "smaller" venue like Hammerstein,would still be considered great seating at Madison Square Garden)