Should Axl go solo after the Democracy affair is over?

Guest JohnUlmer

Guest JohnUlmer

Once he releases the album(s) he has been waiting to release, if they are a critical and commercial success, he has proven once and for all what he has been holding on to all these years.

After that, do you think he should go solo? I think it would be interesting and he would receive far less criticism from the press and listeners. Also, it would give him the opportunity to try new things without people bitching about how "different" it is.

Personally I'd like to see Axl try some solo stuff in the vein of Elton John...

I'm not saying he should ditch the band because I don't think it's GN'R or anything else. But I don't think there's a problem with GN'R fans acknowledging that a solo career would be interesting. Somehow in the GN'R fan universe if you say Axl should go solo it automatically means you don't like "new GN'R" and you're an anti-Axl crusader or something. I'm not, I just think it would be nice after the Chinese Democracy controversy to hear an Axl Rose solo album.

Just a thought.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JohnUlmer
Whatcha talkin' bout? Axl's been solo since the mid-90s!

I knew someone would say that.

I mean should he stop using the GN'R name/trademark.

Should he start releasing "Axl Rose" albums...?

Again, I'm not implying he should give up GN'R - but I'd like to maybe hear something outside of the GN'R name too...

I've created a couple of topics about this before and yes i wish he'd drop the name guns n roses, the name will always heap bundles of pressure on him as people will still expect stuff as good as the old band put out which just won't happen...

...Plus they were a complete show up to the name guns n roses on the last tour, i mean a man with a bucket on his head and robin finck on guitar :no: , the thing that makes less sense is that i went and see them twice :confused: .

I think it'd be great.

He could do something like 'The Boatman's Call' by Nick Cave, with less emphasis on layers of guitar and synth, and more focus on his voice and his piano. He's always had such a great/unique voice, and I think a more minimalist style of music would suit him.

(and, yes, I realise how ridiculous it is to even contemplate any future recordings when we're still waiting for you-know-what)

Good topic. Yes I think he should go solo...he could create music without all the pressure and baggage of guns n roses. Maybe something more personal and introspective...I'm still waiting for Axl to release a raw song in the vein of Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven"....I always imagined "This I love" to be that kind of a song. Imagine Axl sitting in front of a small audience and singing it with Slash playing acoustic guitar...just the two of them and Duff to give support....that would be beautiful....

I think Axl would get a lot of accolades and could endear himself to the critics and media that wrote him off if he went this route. I've said it time and again, he needs to do something stripped down and raw. Enough of the epic, queen-style bloated songs. Do something earthy like Nirvana's mtv performance where they just play unplugged in front of a small live audience.

That would be a great way for Axl to do something different and reinvent himself.

How about a cd of An Axl Rose Opera....

like, an entire opera written by axl, with one female opera singer on piano and one guitar, heavily distorted played by axl maybe

just 2 voices and 2 instruments

i think it could be beautiful

(waits to get imminately slammed)

Edited by Bucketslash

Once he releases the album(s) he has been waiting to release, if they are a critical and commercial success, he has proven once and for all what he has been holding on to all these years.

After that, do you think he should go solo? I think it would be interesting and he would receive far less criticism from the press and listeners. Also, it would give him the opportunity to try new things without people bitching about how "different" it is.

Personally I'd like to see Axl try some solo stuff in the vein of Elton John...

I'm not saying he should ditch the band because I don't think it's GN'R or anything else. But I don't think there's a problem with GN'R fans acknowledging that a solo career would be interesting. Somehow in the GN'R fan universe if you say Axl should go solo it automatically means you don't like "new GN'R" and you're an anti-Axl crusader or something. I'm not, I just think it would be nice after the Chinese Democracy controversy to hear an Axl Rose solo album.

Just a thought.

He should go solo with this album and avoid the bullshit comparisons between this band and the other band. He said it doesn't sound like GNR anyway, why not go it under his own, just as famous moniker?

He said it doesn't sound like GNR anyway, why not go it under his own, just as famous moniker?

Money and ego. Mainly money.

you are quite ignorant if you truly believe money is Axl's main motivator for continuing on with GNR. If that was the case he'd have already released Chinese Democarcy and probably a few more albums, and we'd be seeing GNR songs whored out on every movie soundtrack out there.

In fact its Slash and Duff who are suing because Axl is refusing to sell out the bands integrity to anyone who makes an offer. Tell me who is motivated by money. We all are to some extent, but clearly Axl's main concern right now is not money.

Please. Axl was quite willing to "whore" WTTJ out to the makers of Black Hawk Down, just as long as it was a re-recorded version with the new band. That was the main issue Slash and Duff had with the whole thing, and rightly so.

It's also well established that there's a nice healthy bonus waiting from Geffen if Axl delivers a Guns n' Roses record, that he wouldn't get if he released music as a solo artist.

The Guns n' Roses name also earns him a lot of money even without a new record on the shelves. The name itself is just incredibly powerful - especially in regards to promotion of this upcoming tour.

He said it doesn't sound like GNR anyway, why not go it under his own, just as famous moniker?

Money and ego. Mainly money.

you are quite ignorant if you truly believe money is Axl's main motivator for continuing on with GNR. If that was the case he'd have already released Chinese Democarcy and probably a few more albums, and we'd be seeing GNR songs whored out on every movie soundtrack out there.

In fact its Slash and Duff who are suing because Axl is refusing to sell out the bands integrity to anyone who makes an offer. Tell me who is motivated by money. We all are to some extent, but clearly Axl's main concern right now is not money.

Dude you are so one-sided its not even funny. So it's okay for Axl to let Sony use SCOM for a crappy Sandler movie like Big Daddy but not okay for Slash/Duff to use a gnr track for Black Hawk Down? :rolleyes:

If Axl wasn't doing it for money he'd have left the name. GnR is a huge cash cow, a franchise. Slash and Duff left potential huge money.

I agree Axl is not solely motivated by money, but his decisions are not exactly what I'd call rational like the above example I gave you.

Besides, if you leave a money making juggernaut like Guns N Roses, its pretty clear you care about more than money. If Slash and Duff wanted to slum for the paycheck like Dizzy, they could have done it. Just stay inactive for 10 years waiting for Axl to make up his mind which is what Dizzy did. They had their own vision for the band and artistic integrity and left on those grounds. You call that being motivated by money or selling out?

Edited by SylvesterStallone

Please. Axl was quite willing to "whore" WTTJ out to the makers of Black Hawk Down, just as long as it was a re-recorded version with the new band. That was the main issue Slash and Duff had with the whole thing, and rightly so.

It's also well established that there's a nice healthy bonus waiting from Geffen if Axl delivers a Guns n' Roses record, that he wouldn't get if he released music as a solo artist.

The Guns n' Roses name also earns him a lot of money even without a new record on the shelves. The name itself is just incredibly powerful - especially in regards to promotion of this upcoming tour.

Blackhawk Down would have been perfect for Jungle dude!! You know that! I can understand why Axl would want to use the current band's recording to give them some promotion. I wish it could have happened :(

The Guns n' Roses name is his, and of course he is going to use it for financial gain, as would anyone with half a brain. But you can't say he's a consummate photo, press, and media opportunist who will jump on any opportunity to make a quick buck ;)

Blackhawk Down would have been perfect for Jungle dude!! You know that! I can understand why Axl would want to use the current band's recording to give them some promotion. I wish it could have happened :(

The Guns n' Roses name is his, and of course he is going to use it for financial gain, as would anyone with half a brain. But you can't say he's a consummate photo, press, and media opportunist who will jump on any opportunity to make a quick buck ;)

More like to cut Slash and Duff out of any royalties.... ;) We know how vengeful Uncle Axl is....

The last part of your statement is illogical given he left THE BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD! Man talk about a dumb decision to make if all you care about is easy money....

AD I think I hear Axl calling...he wants you to fetch his garden slippers....so long mate...come back soon....

More like to cut Slash and Duff out of any royalties.... ;) We know how vengeful Uncle Axl is....

The last part of your statement is illogical given he left THE BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD! Man talk about a dumb decision to make if all you care about is easy money....

AD I think I hear Axl calling...he wants you to fetch his garden slippers....so long mate...come back soon....

you call me one-sided, when you are the same, just on the other side :rolleyes: (in re your post before this one)

If you were Axl Rose, wouldn't you have wanted to do the same thing? Use your current band for your projects and for movie soundtracks? I dont think it was to dick anyone out of anything. The money would have gone to the current guys, so it still woulda been spent. Maybe Axl isn't as big of an asshole as you make him out to be! We all know Robin Finck plays the intro for that song better than Slash did, what better way to have introduced the band to the world on a movie like that? It woulda sounded fucking insane!!