Lodging, Dining, Transportation questions

drtydane

Where are you guys staying? For anyone in the area, whats the most reasonable place relativly close to the venue? Also, how are you getting to NYC? I think the bus would be cheapest. Anyone taking a train? Just interested in what other people have planned.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you guys staying? For anyone in the area, whats the most reasonable place relativly close to the venue? Also, how are you getting to NYC? I think the bus would be cheapest. Anyone taking a train? Just interested in what other people have planned.

I'm coming from montreal, at this point I don't know where I'm gonna stay...

Also comming to NYC from Montreal.

Night of the 14th = Didn't decide where to stay yet, need to stay where I can have internet access.

Night of the 15th = Hotel right by the NEWARK airport, if someone wants to share a cab ride to the airport after the concert, PM me.

You may find some answers in this thread.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?s=&sho...dpost&p=1240979

Night of the 14th = Didn't decide where to stay yet, need to stay where I can have internet access.

Beware of the Super 8 and some of the other places that claim they have free wireless throughout the hotel. It's very spotty if it even works at all. From my experience, it's best to go with hotels that have wired dsl/cable in the rooms such as some of the Hiltons.

Driving from Guelph Ontario to Buffalo Tuesday night,staying over night by the airport,taking a noon flight to N.Y.C.

hanging out in the city before the show..

got a flight/hotel deal from expedia

the Hotel appears to be close to the Hammerstein (might be a shithole,but it's just a place to crash until heading back to the airport)

FYI - although I'm not 100% certain where I'm staying yet for the 12th-16th (won't be at the show on the 17th) I WILL have Internet access wherever it is. Therefore if a forumer needs net access they're welcome to hang out in our room, use my laptop, whatever.

Ideally the hotel will also offer access in the lobby in which case it might make it easier if 2-3 people need to get online.

Worst case scenario, if you can get me power - I can get us online from pretty much anywhere over GPRS/Edge.

-darknemus

Edited by darknemus

Thanks for the tip brobot.

Does anyone know of a few Internet Cafe's not too far from the convert venue?

This is the closest I know of - 42nd Street/Times Sq. area. 8 blocks from the venue. Not a bad walk or a really quick subway ride. Just walk down Broadway and do some sightseeing along the way. Lots of cool stuff to make the walk enjoyable. Or go over to 5th avenue and then walk the 8 blocks and do some shopping along the way:

http://www.easyinternetcafe.com/map/nyc1.html

Don't stay the Hotel Penn. Crap place even though it's cheap and across the street from MSG and Penn Station.

The hotel penn is fine if your just gonna crash there after the show. And for whoever was looking for an internet cafe i know of one on 42nd st and 7th avenue. it's 8 blocks north from the hammerstein. there might be one closer not sure.

two questions

1- anyone know the exact address or if I get into a cab and say hammerstein ballroom Ill be ok

2- taking a bus in and get dropped off at grand central I believe not sure coming from upstate ny for the 17th show how far will that leave me?

If a large number of people wanted to stay at the same hotel, there's a chance a cheaper rate could be negotiated with the hotel. Often times, a hotel will offer special discount rates for "groups" and "conferences" that book a block of rooms.

If there are enough people interested in this, I could check with a few major hotels. But we would likely need 100 or 200 rooms booked to get a special rate - just a guess.

two questions

1- anyone know the exact address or if I get into a cab and say hammerstein ballroom Ill be ok

2- taking a bus in and get dropped off at grand central I believe not sure coming from upstate ny for the 17th show how far will that leave me?

1. The cab driver should know it - if not, tell them The Hammerstein Ballroom is located on 34th Street Between 8th and 9th Avenues.

2. Grand Central is around 44th Street, 10 blocks from the venue. Not a bad walk. Just go with the flow of the foot traffic and be carefull crossing the street. New Yorkers hate it when tourest poke around or stop in the middle of the sidewalk and look around. If you get confused about where you're going or where you're at, the courteous thing to do is move out of the way, towards the buildings or around a corner of a less busy street and then figure out what's going on. New Yorkers get a bad rap for being unfriendly, but that's untrue. You'll be surprised at how helpful people are, but at the same time they can be very busy so return the favor by being conscientious.

If a large number of people wanted to stay at the same hotel, there's a chance a cheaper rate could be negotiated with the hotel. Often times, a hotel will offer special discount rates for "groups" and "conferences" that book a block of rooms.

If there are enough people interested in this, I could check with a few major hotels. But we would likely need 100 or 200 rooms booked to get a special rate - just a guess.

great idea!!!

I'm also in if someone want to share a room the 15th

Good idea. This will also be nice for people going alone or are unfamiliar with the area. I can see the sign in front of the Hilton reading "Welcome GNR Fans". If Axl passes that in his limo, he might show up at the hotel bar later (hey, you never know - he's all over the place in NY lately).

two questions

the hammerstein is 311 W 34th St

and grand central station is on 42nd st. so you could walk it or take a cab.

Anyone coming up to the city via Amtrak train, you can try the following public discount code:

H570

It should get you a healthy discount..though I think it's only if you're travelling along the east coast (which, if you're coming in via train, you probably are).