Lodging, Dining, Transportation questions

drtydane

Im driving from delaware and im just going to go up the jersey turnpike. Does anybody know a good place to park in Jersey and catch a different form of transportation into the city. So I can avoid the traffic.

well you can drive to the newark path/nj transit trains and park there and then take to train into the city. It'll leave you in penn station right across the the street from the hammerstein.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a large number of people wanted to stay at the same hotel, there's a chance a cheaper rate could be negotiated with the hotel. Often times, a hotel will offer special discount rates for "groups" and "conferences" that book a block of rooms.

If there are enough people interested in this, I could check with a few major hotels. But we would likely need 100 or 200 rooms booked to get a special rate - just a guess.

That sound likes a great idea. I'm down for 2 people the 14th and 15th.

im coming down for the concert on the 10th via Greyhound from Kingston, Ontario (not far from TO)

the greyhound terminal is right on 8th ave. i need some suggestions to cut the cost of the trip. im wanting to bring my own food and a napsack however i am not carrying that around the concert. anyone know if the terminal has locker rentals or anything? also im gonna be there at like 7:45 in the morning and was wondering if there is anything to do in the area? gotta waste 12 hours.

also if anyone is going down from like toronto, ottawa etc and minds picking me up that would be fucking awesome. id be able to chip in for gas. even if it was only the way there id be a huge help.

im coming down for the concert on the 10th via Greyhound from Kingston, Ontario (not far from TO)

the greyhound terminal is right on 8th ave. i need some suggestions to cut the cost of the trip. im wanting to bring my own food and a napsack however i am not carrying that around the concert. anyone know if the terminal has locker rentals or anything? also im gonna be there at like 7:45 in the morning and was wondering if there is anything to do in the area? gotta waste 12 hours.

also if anyone is going down from like toronto, ottawa etc and minds picking me up that would be fucking awesome. id be able to chip in for gas. even if it was only the way there id be a huge help.

I would have suggested stowing your stuff in a locker at Penn Station.

But I was recently informed that Penn Station no longer HAS lockers (which, FYI, is going to throw a monkey into the wrench for my trip down.....I'm gonna have to lug whatever I bring with me).

If you're coming into the Port Authority (I'm assuming you are...41st and 8th), there are no lockers there, either.

Looks like public lockers are hard to come by sind 9/11.

Just my two cents from someone who works in NYC everyday.

1. Don't stay at Hotel Penn. It's a shithole. Don't stay in times square either. It just makes you look like a gullible tourist.

2. If you are driving in, park at port authority ($20) and take a cab or walk. I would tell you to take the path train, but parking can sometimes be a pain in the ass.

3. Before the show there is an irish bar on 41st (right across from Madison Square Garden/Penn Station) on the left side. This place was packed before the last GnR show at MSG. And MSG is a stones throw from Hammerstein, so I would think this is going to be fun again. They played all GnR that night, and the drinks are reasonably priced, unlike any other place near by.

4. If you don't have a ticket, just wait. Once the first chords are played, you can get a seat at half price. Just negotiate.

5. Don't worry about taking a camera in, the security there is a joke.

the greyhound terminal is right on 8th ave. i need some suggestions to cut the cost of the trip. im wanting to bring my own food and a napsack however i am not carrying that around the concert. anyone know if the terminal has locker rentals or anything?

im doing the same thing from chicago.. no hotel or anything. i was at the vegas shows a few years ago.. then i just paid a hotel coatcheck to check my backpack during my shows then got it afterwards.. yeah its kinda sketcy to sleep on the streets or in the bus terminal.. but after all the tickets and transportation i know i cant afford hotel. if anyone does want to go in on a cheap hotel and use it for storage and shower keep me posted.

Flying in for the show? Here's the drill:

Coming in to Newark: Take the Amtrack into the city (About $20) There is probably a bus option as well.

Coming in to La Guardia (LGA): Get in line at the cab stand (ignore the shady dudes offering taxis in the terminal). Chat up the people you are in line with, see if they are going to the same area as you, (i.e. Manhattan: midtown, downtown, etc.) and offer to split a cab. You can put 2-3 people in a cab with luggage, and the total fare to Manhattan should be about $40-50, which you can split between whoever is riding in the cab (in otherwords, it's not per-person). You can also take private shuttle buses from the airport to Manhattan (these are about $25 each way - a good option if you are solo)

Coming into JFK: Unless it's LATE at night, take the subway! It will cost you $7 when it's all said and done. You can also take a cab (from JFK, the rate is a flat $45 from the airport to any one desitination in Manhattan) and split with people you meet in the line or on your plane. Buses from JFK suck.

Book hotel rooms NOW - most have a 48 hour cancellation policy which is nice if your plans change.

Enjoy your time in NYC, and remember kids - FUCK SCALPERS!

Also comming to NYC from Montreal.

Night of the 14th = Didn't decide where to stay yet, need to stay where I can have internet access.

Night of the 15th = Hotel right by the NEWARK airport, if someone wants to share a cab ride to the airport after the concert, PM me.

Where are you staying on the night of the 14th? I will be flying in that day and I can't decide whether I will use LaGuardia or Newark. What I plan to do right after the show is head back to the hotel and hopefully catch a few hours of sleep (at least 4 would be nice...hey Axl, don't be late!). Cuz at about 6am on the 15th I need to catch a flight back to Toronto for work that day.

So on the 14th I would love to split a cab back to the hotel, and maybe even from the hotel to the show in the first place. Plus split the hotel cost obviously. But I'll be gone on the 15th right in the morning, so I don't know if this works for you.

If not does it sound like something somebody else wants to do? I don't really care about which airport. I just want my hotel room right at the airport so that I can wake up, take a shower, and get to my plane with little hassle (preferably a short walk).

1. Don't stay at Hotel Penn. It's a shithole.

Glad someone agrees with me on that one. Hotel Penn could cave in tomorrow. :rolleyes: You wouldn't even take a shower in that place, you'd feel dirty once again as you get out. The lobby is okay, but once you get in the elevator... be prepared.

5. Don't worry about taking a camera in, the security there is a joke.

They might be strict for these concerts.

Edited by Prucc

I would avoid the Hotel Penn..you're better off spending a few dollars more and staying at a more familiar brand name, like Super 8 or Marriott...there are a lot of hotels in that area that are really shitty...trust me, I went to High School 1 block away from the Hammerstein.

I'm staying here

Ramada Plaza New Yorker

481 8th Avenue

34th St. & 8th Ave

New York City, NY, 10001 US

212-971-0101

Got it for just under $200 a night, two full size beds, and its litterly RIGHT ACCROSS THE STREET from the Hammerstein Ball Room!!

Be there Thursday thru Sunday.

See ya guys there

I'm flying from Phoenix to Newark. I get there around 10:00 am on Sunday the 16th. And I leave around 6pm on the 18th. Not sure exactly where I'm staying yet, but I have a few different ideas.

I live in Mesa, AZ. I've got a ticket for the 15th.

just a small note for those who feel security will be a joke.

1 axl in the past will NOT perform if security is not a+++ ( i belive at times he ha hired his own security)

2 a performer was recently killed in a small venue (forget who)

st louis

peace out

just a small note for those who feel security will be a joke.

1 axl in the past will NOT perform if security is not a+++ ( i belive at times he ha hired his own security)

2 a performer was recently killed in a small venue (forget who)

st louis

peace out

I was at the first Vegas show and the security was hard ass. I was at the hard rock vegas shows and the security was light. I think it's more dependent on the venue than Axl's wishes. The security at this place pretty much lets anything in.

I'm staying here

Ramada Plaza New Yorker

481 8th Avenue

34th St. & 8th Ave

New York City, NY, 10001 US

212-971-0101

Got it for just under $200 a night, two full size beds, and its litterly RIGHT ACCROSS THE STREET from the Hammerstein Ball Room!!

Be there Thursday thru Sunday.

See ya guys there

ya me too!

sunday through thursday

Doubletree is good and more or less affordable. As for bars, stay away from times square 40th-44th streets - most places are tourists traps with over priced drinks. There are plenty of bars and pubs right next to penn station between 29th and 37th. Blarney Stone, the new lounge right next to it, tier na nog, tempest. I know it has been posted that people are getting together on the 15th at mustang harry's - a very nice irish restaurant/pub that is usually packed before knicks and rangers games as well as most concerts at the garden.

I'm flying in from Norway the 15th, and I'm gonna see the 17th show.

I have been to NYC once before, and then I stayed in Soho. A double bed room was like 150 bucks a night.

know its alot, but for a couple and a dude or a girl or 3 dudes or whatever the configuration.

hope I meet some of you guys there.....

viva la gnr

the greyhound terminal is right on 8th ave. i need some suggestions to cut the cost of the trip. im wanting to bring my own food and a napsack however i am not carrying that around the concert. anyone know if the terminal has locker rentals or anything?

im doing the same thing from chicago.. no hotel or anything. i was at the vegas shows a few years ago.. then i just paid a hotel coatcheck to check my backpack during my shows then got it afterwards.. yeah its kinda sketcy to sleep on the streets or in the bus terminal.. but after all the tickets and transportation i know i cant afford hotel. if anyone does want to go in on a cheap hotel and use it for storage and shower keep me posted.

While the climate in Manhattan in May can be lovely for sleeping on the streets, there are other environmental variables that may make it not so pleasant. There are some cheap hostels in NYC where you share a bathroom with other rooms. Try searching for some of those. I think they are about $30 a night. Here's one pretty close to the show: http://www.manhattaninnhostel.com/

Edited by brobot

Just my two cents from someone who works in NYC everyday.

1. Don't stay at Hotel Penn. It's a shithole. Don't stay in times square either. It just makes you look like a gullible tourist.

Okay from someone who works in NYC everyday, where do you recommend us poor guys to stay?