Lodging, Dining, Transportation questions

drtydane

Im from chicago, so im used to all that. I am just worried about prices. And i am not driving. What are the chances of getting a room the day of? Probably not to good i would assume. birk

NYC is the safest large city in America. It is very safe. I am much more cautious in Atlanta or L.A.

Go here:

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.j...ctyhocn=FTLFLHF

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hows the area around MSG/Hammerstein? I've got the regency Inn booked for 150 b4 tax which is a block away from the hammerstein. I'd like to think with 3,000 people filing out of the building at 1 or whenevr the show ends it will be safe to walk a block.i don't need anything great..I'll just be sleeping there sunday night afterthe show until around 9. So For 8 hours it doesnt need to be great, just semi-clean and safe.

Edited by tristanj13

Hows the area around MSG/Hammerstein? I've got the regency Inn book for 150 b4 tax which is a block away from the hammerstein. I'd like to think with 3,000 people filing out of the building at 1 or whenevr the show ends it will be safe to walk a block.i don't need anything great..I'll just be sleeping there sunday night afterthe show until around 9. So For 8 hours it doesnt need to be great, just semi-clean and safe.

http://www.theinsider.com/nyc/survive/011crime.htm

http://www.hotelchelsea.com/newmain.html

http://gonyc.about.com/od/planyourtriptony...is_nyc_safe.htm

NYC hotels under $100 http://newyork.travelbook.com/

Edited by smokingarthur

Drive 45 minutes to New Jersey, and stay in a clean hotel with a bed, bath, toilet, and crappy TV. Or you can stay in New York for less than 200$, but you might hear some arguments, gunfire, cops, and footsteps. Whatever you feel safer in.

Ummm... .I think you have those reversed. In New Jersey, you have to double-bolt your door at night and listen to sirens and gunfire. In New York - though loud - it's safe. I wouldn't recommend anybody stay in New Jersey - especially not in Newark. Pay the extra, stay in Manhattan and be safe. Plus you don't have to worry about battling traffic and paying ridiculously-priced cabfares and tolls to commute into the city from Jersey.

Try one of the discount websites, such as www.orbitz.com. They usually offer discount hotel rates and good prices for packages that include airfare and hotel.

As for being close to the venue -- if you're staying on the "west" side - almost anywhere in midtown or Union Square (14th Street up to 59th Street), you'll have easy access to Hammerstein -- either by walking or by subway. Although the Hammerstein is on 34th Street, it takes only about 20 minutes to walk from 34th Street to 59th Street because the blocks are so short. If you don't want to walk, the subways are great and fast!

Sounds good. Ya im staying in New York fuck Newark. 1 more question, should ifly into Newark? I heard its 1 train away to get to Hammerstein from there, and cheaper than landing at Laguardia? Is this true? I have to buy all my plane tickets and reservations tomorrow. Thats why im going kinda nut here, trying to figure this shit out. THanks alot!! birk

Sounds good. Ya im staying in New York fuck Newark. 1 more question, should ifly into Newark? I heard its 1 train away to get to Hammerstein from there, and cheaper than landing at Laguardia? Is this true? I have to buy all my plane tickets and reservations tomorrow. Thats why im going kinda nut here, trying to figure this shit out. THanks alot!! birk

I personally always fly to JFK. I like their long-term parking rates. Newark NJ was the murder capitol of the US for a few years and had the highest car theft rate in the country. I don't know where people get all this missinformation about NYC. I am trying to help, but my personal bias is getting in the way. Bergen County NJ is fabulous though. But it seems the hotels are more pricey than I anticipated. I wish you luck man.

Edited by smokingarthur

isn't jfk kinda far from hammerstein? Is there a L train that goes there? I am not driving, so i would like to take a bus or a train?? birk

No don't listen to me on that. That is a personal preference, because I like the long-term parking, not just because of the price. JFK usually cost me more money. JFK is not for you. Newark or La Guardia.

All the times i've been to NY ive only been raped twice. jk jk.

New York is no were near as bad as people think. Manhatten especially is safe. Crime rate per person is very low. Ive been there and walked around late at night with no problem. You'll all be fine.

Sleep on the plane on your way there. Go to the concert and party all night from bar to bar. Go back to the airport and sleep until your flight. Sleep on the way back. Its gonna be awesome!

I was considering this at first, but I ended up booking a evening flight on Monday so I could see some of NY before I leave. It'd be a shame to go to NY for the first time from Chicago and not do nething but the concert. With a hotel a block from Hammerstein I'll be able to drink until whenever and then pass out in my hotel, wake up for about 8 hours of NYC site seeing.

Sleep on the plane on your way there. Go to the concert and party all night from bar to bar. Go back to the airport and sleep until your flight. Sleep on the way back. Its gonna be awesome!

sorry for the lame question from Small Town America with the (most likely) obvious answer, but is this really feasible? is the airport (LaGuardia) open 24 hours? could you conceivably take a cab to the airport at 1 or 2am and just hang out there until a 6 or 7am flight without being hassled by either criminals or police/security?

isn't jfk kinda far from hammerstein? Is there a L train that goes there? I am not driving, so i would like to take a bus or a train?? birk

JFK and Newark are both far - and costly if you're taking a cab.

I always recommend friends fly into LaGuardia if they can, as it's closer and cab fare is half the price. If it's not during rush hour, you can get a cab from LaGuardia into midtown for between $22 and $25 on average. (By contrast, a taxi ride from JFK averages $45 and from Newark it's $50-plus when all the tolls are added in). If you ask the cab driver to take the 59th Street bridge (which doesn't have a toll to pay), then the taxi fare will be even cheaper. The cheapest I ever paid was $18.

Also, when you're standing in the taxi line at the airport, ask other people if they're going into midtown Manhattan, and see if they're willing to share a cab. This will split the cost.

JFK and Newark are both far - and costly if you're taking a cab.

I always recommend friends fly into LaGuardia if they can, as it's closer and cab fare is half the price. If it's not during rush hour, you can get a cab from LaGuardia into midtown for between $22 and $25 on average. (By contrast, a taxi ride from JFK averages $45 and from Newark it's $50-plus when all the tolls are added in). If you ask the cab driver to take the 59th Street bridge (which doesn't have a toll to pay), then the taxi fare will be even cheaper. The cheapest I ever paid was $18.

Also, when you're standing in the taxi line at the airport, ask other people if they're going into midtown Manhattan, and see if they're willing to share a cab. This will split the cost.

But this in NYC. Who's really counting? I have grown acustomed to overpaying for most things. I choose convinience over afforadability. But in the past, taxis have been my Achilles heel. I would piss away more money in cab rides than some people pay for rent (no one in Manhattan proper). I have a car, but have paid so much money in tickets & tows, I want to cry. It will be hard to find any hotel in that area for a reasonable price. But if you are vigilant, you can surely find something. Maybe you can find a hotel near La Guardia airport. There are quite a few visible from the Grand Central Parkway.

Edited by smokingarthur

I guess it was kind of a smart alec answer but that is exactly what I planed to do. And about going back to the airport at 1 or 2 AM, it was going to be like at 5AM.... Unfortunatly I am not going. I had it all planned that I would go with some friends. Been wanting to do something wild and off the wall for a while and I thought going to a GnR concert would fit the bill. I even had tickets lined up and everything. But I have lame ass friends that would rather just sit around and do the same old shit. So I decided not to go by my self, although I probably should have.

Guest SOLGER

Im going to the 14th show. What time does the last train to Long Island leave? I might just as well spend the night partying till the morning so I can catch a train back home. Who is gonna party after the show?? Ill join ya!

I'm going to the show on the fourteenth...and staying in new jersey :o

sorry madison - i never double bolt my doors...i triple bolt them and get a guard dog to rip out the balls of anyone that comes 10 feet within the radius of my house.

they have a field day on halloween :rolleyes:

I'm going to the show on the fourteenth...and staying in new jersey :o

sorry madison - i never double bolt my doors...i triple bolt them and get a guard dog to rip out the balls of anyone that comes 10 feet within the radius of my house.

they have a field day on halloween :rolleyes:

Other than Newark/Patterson/Harrison/Camden, New Jersey is very nice. Just keep in mind that the Path train runs all night (going to newark, Hoboken) and point in between), but the Jersey transit trains stop running at around 2am. SO if it's going to be a late night for you, and let's face it, it will be... bite the bullet and stay in the city.

One more thing for the people debating where to fly into. It's a fixed price $50 cab ride from Laguardia to Manhattan. If you fly into Newark, you can take the train for a lot less.

And as far as bars go, you can't go wrong with the Blarney Stone.

I guess i am going to fly into Newark. Because i have heard from a few people that y ou can take the train to manhattan, and it is alot cheaper. How bad would the train be taking it in the middle of the night to Newark? Is it bad or what? I am from chicago and all, but i am sure i will be pretty ripped. birk

I would fly into JFK, there is a set cab fare into the city of 40 bucks I think, or you can take the A subway line right into manhattan. The subway really isnt as daunting as people make it out to be

Edited by slash06