Lodging, Dining, Transportation questions

drtydane

Well, your room is downtown while the Hammerstein is in midtown. Its like a 25 min on the subway or 15min by cab

didn't realize it was that far away...are there any hilton owned properties around the area?(hilton, hampton, embassy) I'm a member of hilkton honors and Im trying to use some of my points for a free night.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, your room is downtown while the Hammerstein is in midtown. Its like a 25 min on the subway or 15min by cab

didn't realize it was that far away...are there any hilton owned properties around the area?(hilton, hampton, embassy) I'm a member of hilkton honors and Im trying to use some of my points for a free night.

I dunno, check their website. Personally the cab ride or subway is no big deal. The cab will cost maybe 10, plus you can always get a cab, if your're worried about being out way late.

anyone have a hotel near the venue that would let me sleep on the floor or something if i pitched in lets say $30? my plan was to stay out all night but thats kinda scary for a humble canadian :P i cant afford a full room and even $30 is a stretch. im literally begging as i dont want to stay at the port autority all night and i have no qualms about sleeping on the floor, i dont even need a pillow. just a place to sit all night thats safe would be amazing.

anyone have a hotel near the venue that would let me sleep on the floor or something if i pitched in lets say $30? my plan was to stay out all night but thats kinda scary for a humble canadian :P i cant afford a full room and even $30 is a stretch. im literally begging as i dont want to stay at the port autority all night and i have no qualms about sleeping on the floor, i dont even need a pillow. just a place to sit all night thats safe would be amazing.

Just go to the airport, i did it the last time i went to NY. I didnt have anywhere to stay on my last night so i left my bags at the hotel, went out to a bar at about 9:30....... told myself that i would NOT drink too much. Gets to about 2:30, i realise i have drunk way too much so we proceed onwards to other bars, 4 Rolls around and the only places that are still open are strip clubs....... i drew the line, somehow got back to my hotel, picked up my bags, went to JFK and sat in the terminal............ i then proceeded to have the worst flying experience i have ever had, but whatever, i didnt have to spend any money on a hotel room! They will just check ur ticket if you arrive early in the morning, when i got there there were loads of people sleeping on the floors etc waiting for flights.

This website is your friend....http://www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/newyorkjfk.htm

Jonx

Edited by jonx12

I reserved me a room at the milenium hilton. any new yorkers know how far it is from hammerstein??

I booked a room there too (for the 5/12 show). Got a better rate there than I could in the midtown area and the commute via subway is a piece of cake. There is a Times Square Hilton that's closer you might want to investigate.

I booked a room there too (for the 5/12 show). Got a better rate there than I could in the midtown area and the commute via subway is a piece of cake. There is a Times Square Hilton that's closer you might want to investigate.

I think that I'm just going to stick with what I got....The way everyone talks the trip to and from hammerstein wont be that bad.

Just booked a couple nights at Aspen Hotel, 2688 Broadway

Anyone know anything about it.

It says it's about 4.4 miles from the Hammerstein.

Should I walk it or take cab?

thanks in adavance for any help. You guys are great!!

Take a cab, its worth the 7 bucks.

Edited by slash06

thanx.

any ideas where to park

i am gonna be there from the 11th -13th.

Yea, parking is a bitch. Its gonna be kinda of expensive. Your best bet is to park it in a lot, in most lots they have all day parking for $30 or so, if you get there before ten am. Check with your hotel as they may have some kind of deal with a lot.

Edited by slash06

this might be a dumb question, but how far is times square, and the statue of liberty from the hammerstein ballroom? and what would be the best way to get there?

Haha, Times Sq is 8 blocks. You can walk there. To see the statue of liberty, you need to go downtown and take a ferry to Liberty Island. It takes about 30 min on the subway to go where the ferry leaves from. Check out the statue's website for more details.

Okay, the Aspen Hotel is up on West 103rd street and Broadway, which is the westside, Harlem, near Columbia University...you are no where near the Hammerstein and I definately would not walk it...I would even reconsider and try to find a different hotel...not exactly the place to be in NYC.

The Hammerstein is down on West 34th street...check out hotels at like Orbitz or something and you can map their location. Your best bet would probably be to try and stay somewhere between Union Square/14th Street and like 53rd Street.

Any fellow New Yorkers have any other suggestions?

ill just stay out all night, i doubt the cab to jfk would be cheaper then a hotel room.

anyone have any experience with greyhound? the bus leaves NY at 12:01AM but i dont know how long the concert will run and how long it'll take to get out of there. if i missed the bus could i always switch the ticket for the 9:30PM bus?

ill just stay out all night, i doubt the cab to jfk would be cheaper then a hotel room.

anyone have any experience with greyhound? the bus leaves NY at 12:01AM but i dont know how long the concert will run and how long it'll take to get out of there. if i missed the bus could i always switch the ticket for the 9:30PM bus?

I am proballly taking shortline and I asked a question about roundtrip tickets and the lady told me to buy an open roundtrip ticket I think it more expensive but I really didn't think buses stop wtf? add i more bus around 3am and you have 24-7 service I know no passengers so know looking at driving up to syracuse and flying into nyc with an orbitz package

13 days till opening night holy shitzz :xmasssanta: :xmasssanta: :xmasssanta:

carter hotel is 10 blocks from concert and only 115 a night cheapest by far

I don't mean to scare ya man....but I almost booked this place ebfore I read the reviews on yahoo. I'm only looking for a clean bed a s ashower that works....but when 90% of the yahoo reviews say "worst htoel ever" and then list the grsuome things wrong with it I believe them. I'm still looking for something decent close by, either within walking distance or a cheap cab ride, for about 150 a night before taxes. Any ideas anyone? I have the regency booked now at 175 total after taxes...but the reviews for that sound only slightly betetr than Carter.

carter hotel is 10 blocks from concert and only 115 a night cheapest by far

I don't mean to scare ya man....but I almost booked this place ebfore I read the reviews on yahoo. I'm only looking for a clean bed a s ashower that works....but when 90% of the yahoo reviews say "worst htoel ever" and then list the grsuome things wrong with it I believe them. I'm still looking for something decent close by, either within walking distance or a cheap cab ride, for about 150 a night before taxes. Any ideas anyone? I have the regency booked now at 175 total after taxes...but the reviews for that sound only slightly betetr than Carter.

heres a link

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews...y_New_York.html

I reserved me a room at the milenium hilton. any new yorkers know how far it is from hammerstein??

The Millennium Hilton is right across the street from the World Trade Center site. So, you're right across the street from a subway station, which means it's really easy to get to the Hammerstein from there.

Just go into the subway station, and take the Northbound "A" or "E" train to the 34th Street/Penn Station stop. (With the "A" train, it's only four stops, and with the "E" train, it's five stops). It will take you about 10 minutes - at the most. These are 'express' trains, so they're extremely fast. And the 34th Street subway station is right by the Hammerstein - so it's almost door to door service. :)

btw, try to avoid taking cabs while you're in Manhattan during the day because the traffic is atrocious, which means it will take you forever to get anywhere in a cab and will cost you a fortune while you're sitting in the traffic. The subways are the way to go - during the day. They're fast and extremely safe.

btw, try to avoid taking cabs while you're in Manhattan during the day because the traffic is atrocious, which means it will take you forever to get anywhere in a cab and will cost you a fortune while you're sitting in the traffic. The subways are the way to go - during the day. They're fast and extremely safe.

What about to/from Laguardia? I don't think theres a subway stop that goes to out to there....so I'm assuming Ill have to take a cab to/from. Sunday morning when my flight gets in traffic shouldnt be that bad, but I'll be taking a cab back to laguardia Monday afternoon to catch my 7:40 PM flight.....I'm thinking Monday around 5 traffic will be bad..how long should I budget to get back to Laguardia from Manhattan? Any help is greatly appreciated..

What about to/from Laguardia? I don't think theres a subway stop that goes to out to there....so I'm assuming Ill have to take a cab to/from. Sunday morning when my flight gets in traffic shouldnt be that bad, but I'll be taking a cab back to laguardia Monday afternoon to catch my 7:40 PM flight.....I'm thinking Monday around 5 traffic will be bad..how long should I budget to get back to Laguardia from Manhattan? Any help is greatly appreciated..

There's no subway from the airport. There are some shuttle services that will drop you off at major hotels or the Port Authority bus terminal. So, you might want to check if your hotel offers a shuttle service.

I always take cabs from LaGuardia. If you ask the driver to take the "59th Street bridge," you'll avoid paying the toll bridge too, which will save you a few dollars. Otherwise, it costs $22 to $25 on average from LaGuardia to midtown Manhattan. You shouldn't run into any traffic on a Sunday morning. If there's no traffic, you can get from the airport into the city in about 40 minutes. If there's lots of traffic (like rushhour on Monday), then it could take you up to 90 minutes.

Once you're in Manhattan and settled at your hotel, it's better (faster and cheaper) to take a subway to get to the Hammerstein or Bloomingdales or wherever you want to go rather than a cab during the day.

The Aspen Hotel in Harlem? :blink:

This is not the best area of town. They are starting to re-develop this area of the city -- but it's not "there" yet. It's still kind of "risky" wandering around that area at night. I always recommend people stay south of 95th street - especially at night. It's also very very far from the Hammerstein - even by subway.