Can Guns N' Roses become the biggest band in the world AGAIN?

Madagascar88

will G'n'R become the biggest band in the world again, after releasing "Chinese Democracy" and touring the world with the new material?

In the next few years... these are the bands that I think (outside of Guns N' Roses) that will be the biggest draws world-wide...

1) Rolling Stones

2) U2

3) Metallica

4) Pearl Jam

5) Bon Jovi

6) AC/DC

7) Iron Maiden

8) Red Hot Chili Peppers

9) Green Day

10) Coldplay

these are the bands that will sell the most records... or gain the most modern media exposure (popularity with the youth)...

1) Green Day

2) Coldplay

3) U2

4) Tool

5) Bon Jovi

6) Smashing Pumpkins

7) Red Hot Chili Peppers

8) Metallica

9) Audioslave

10) Aerosmith

you guys think its feasible for G'n'R to overcome the above adversity and gain the crown?

remember... to be the biggest band comes in two aspects... 1) to sell the most records & have the most media exposure 2) draw the biggest crowds

several of the above bands... such Rolling Stones, Maiden & AC/DC depend completely upon old material and are in essence grandeurized nostalgia acts today...

others... such as Pearl Jam & the Chili Peppers can no longer do much more than 1x platinum per new record...

I feel that Guns N' Roses ranks REAL high in terms of big bands that can STILL sell records as well as draw huge crowds even if they aren't #1 in ticket sales in itself.

Edited by Madagascar88

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Smashing Pumpkins reunite? They opened for GnR when I saw them in Chicago in 92 and they were pretty bad...actually, it was mixed really poorly.

On topic: no.

after quite some time away... they're gonna be back this year with a new studio record...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1529202/0..._pumpkins.jhtml

Did Smashing Pumpkins reunite? They opened for GnR when I saw them in Chicago in 92 and they were pretty bad...actually, it was mixed really poorly.

On topic: no.

after quite some time away... they're gonna be back this year with a new studio record...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1529202/0..._pumpkins.jhtml

i'll believe it when axl rose puts out chinese democracy

nevermind, he already is....darn :rolleyes:

I dont think so no. I'd like to say yes but I dont think its possible. Nobody outside this forum will care too much about Axl, they will just be like 'wheres Slash?'

thats nonsense. do you think ever gnr fan in the world is on the forum? I think with a cd and new music on the radio and i tour they will be back in the top 5 bands.

Edited by patcooper

Iron Maiden as the #4 draw IN THE WORLD??

Get the fuck out of here with that. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh, and the answer to this question is no. GNR's former level of popularity will never be approached again. That siad, they can still be successful. Just not as obscenely so.

Oh, and the answer to this question is no. GNR's former level of popularity will never be approached again. That siad, they can still be successful. Just not as obscenely so.

yea... you're right... they don't do shit anymore in the U.S. ... but they are still humungous in Europe...

i moved them down to #6.

Has any band ever been the greatest, lost every original member except one and been anywhere near as big, much less as big? No. If Axl pulls it off beyond the initial response, I will be impressed...and I don't impress easily.

thats nonsense. do you think ever gnr fan in the world is on the forum? I think with a cd and new music on the radio and i tour they will be back in the top 5 bands.

No I dont think every gnr fan is on this forum, but just because Axl reappears with a bunch of random musicians doesnt mean they can become the best band in the world. Yes people will hear the new material on the radio and yes gnr will win win more fans but biggest band in the world? or even top 5? I doubt it.

will G'n'R become the biggest band in the world again, after releasing "Chinese Democracy" and touring the world with the new material?

In the next few years... these are the bands that I think (outside of Guns N' Roses) that will be the biggest draws world-wide...

1) Rolling Stones

2) U2

3) Metallica

4) Iron Maiden

5) AC/DC

6) Pearl Jam

7) Red Hot Chili Peppers

8) Green Day

9) Coldplay

10) Smashing Pumpkins

you guys think its feasible for G'n'R to overcome the above adversity and gain the crown?

remember... to be the biggest band comes in two aspects... 1) to sell the most records & have the most media exposure 2) draw the biggest crowds

several of the above bands... such Rolling Stones, Maiden & AC/DC depend completely upon old material and are in essence grandeurized nostalgia acts today...

others... such as Pearl Jam & the Chili Peppers can no longer do much more than 1x platinum per new record...

I feel that Guns N' Roses ranks REAL high in terms of big bands that can STILL sell records as well as draw huge crowds even if they aren't #1 in ticket sales in itself.

As you say the Stones, AC/DC and Iron Maiden are nostalgia acts so can't really be top ten when none of them sell many NEW records. I think REM and Bon Jovi would have to be in there though based on record sales and live show numbers.

In answer to the question though i don't think Guns 'n' Roses will be top five now, but possibly top ten IF the new record is really good and Axl can still perform at a decent level. Time will tell.

1) Rolling Stones

2) U2

3) Metallica

4) Iron Maiden

5) AC/DC

6) Pearl Jam

7) Red Hot Chili Peppers

8) Green Day

9) Coldplay

10) Smashing Pumpkins

As you say the Stones, AC/DC and Iron Maiden are nostalgia acts so can't really be top ten when none of them sell many NEW records. I think REM and Bon Jovi would have to be in there though based on record sales and live show numbers.

In answer to the question though i don't think Guns 'n' Roses will be top five now, but possibly top ten IF the new record is really good and Axl can still perform at a decent level. Time will tell.

yea... you're right about Bon Jovi... I updated it again.

yea... you're right... they don't do shit anymore in the U.S. ... but they are still humungous in Europe...

i moved them down to #6.

maiden are fourth for me. there doing a show in glasgow and im going to see it

i moved them down to #6.

maiden are fourth for me. there doing a show in glasgow and im going to see it

Oh, then I stand corrected.

My top ten would look something like this - assuming this is 'rock' based bands which nullifies the Madonna's, Eminems and Black Eyed Peas of this world (thank fuck) :P

01 U2

02 Coldplay

03 Bon Jovi

04 Metallica

05 Green Day

06 REM

07 Red Hot Chili Peppers

08 Radiohead

09 Foo Fighters

10 Pearl Jam

If ...and I do mean IF......the 1991 line up (Izzy included) reunites at some point in the future,

GnR will shoot right to the top of those lists...or damn close to it

as for the way things are now...they have a good shot and making top ten