Greatest Rock Vocalists?

Sportyboy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Rodgers is up there in my opinion, he's really under-rated for some reason and not many people know him properly, they only seem to know him from queen and i don't like queen so i don't know what their fans think of him.

He's got the blues in his shoes big time with a great rocky voice to go with it.

For me, Axl is one of the best, maybe the best.

But in my opinion, there are other singers who are (almost) as good as Axl. For example Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin), Ville Valo (HIM), and Marc Storace (Krokus)

Edited by Iceman24

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
You know, I don't really have a good reason, I guess you could just call it stylistic preference. The man is amazing, and I really mean it. "Black Hole Sun" being a medium ballad and all, doesn't seem like it would be so challenging, but I can barely sing it. I never liked Soundgarden as much as most (particularly alot of my friends here on the forum), I have always preferred AIC (and Layne) very much. I can't really relate to Cornell's voice, and because of that I can't really tell you why I don't love it either. I'm very picky about vocalists and how they can help me in my art, and I never saw Cornell as being a possible addition to my "vocal palette" if you will. After having my whole affair with them I really don't like Audioslave either, which must help it. Maybe he's too far from being a Blues singer for me, but that may be a stretch.

Fair enough. I figured it was probably just a personal preference.

Have you heard much of his work from Temple of the Dog or Euphoria Morning? Might be closer to your tastes?

I haven't heard much, I do love the one hit single from Euphoria Morning the one with the video that gets played all the time.

Listen to John Lennon on "A Day in The Life"..

-Kickingthehabit

Great stuff. Not sure who does the vocal solo though.

Happiness Is A Warm Gun is his best performance ever, IMO, not counting Sexy Sadie, my personal favourite. The way his voice changes across the song, it's incredible. And the final scream is excellent.

My favourite singers are John Lennon and Mick Jagger.

Well I can't judge frontman's since Ive only seen two bands live. But some of the greatest voices in Rock would have to be IMO Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant, Roger Daltry, Chris Cornell, Jim Morrison, and Eddie Vedder. I love Axl's voice but I don't think its among the greatest, same thing with Layne Staley. If we add metal too then I would add Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, and James Hetfield.

Edited by Appetite18

I think Axls voice is perfect for rock music. I mean Axl is on of the best rock frontman and has the best rock voice I ever have heard from a rockband. Agree? How other rock vocalists do you think are better or as good as Axl?

I totally agree!!! Axl was on a league of his own!! he was unique!! still is!! :)

but i also think Freddie Mercury was an amazing vocalist and frontman!!!! No one except for George Michael

maybe can sing Freddie Mercurys song as good as he did!!

but no one ive heard so far can sing the same way Axl did, ive heard so many ppl try to sing guns n roses

songs but they hav always failed to make them sound decent!

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I think Axls voice is perfect for rock music. I mean Axl is on of the best rock frontman and has the best rock voice I ever have heard from a rockband. Agree? How other rock vocalists do you think are better or as good as Axl?

I totally agree!!! Axl was on a league of his own!! he was unique!! still is!! :)

but i also think Freddie Mercury was an amazing vocalist and frontman!!!! No one except for George Michael

but no one ive heard so far can sing the same way Axl did, ive heard so many ppl try to sing guns n roses

Scott Weiland does a good job.

Scott Weiland does a good job.

Sure does. He sound very good.

God, Axl is SO overrated in this forum. Yes, he's up there speaking of frontmen, but nowhere near the best ones as a vocalist. It is Axl's charisma that makes us love his work so much, not his great voice (I'm not saying it is bad, it's just that there are many people with much better ones).

I'd say Ian Gillan, David Coverdale or David Lee Roth are some of the best, together with Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant and Bono (singing skills, I hate his attitude towards politics and how he gets it involved in every concert).

woah woah... i understand ur point but u must be neglecting the fact that axl did not sound like any of the frontmen of his time, he has an amazing range and sure, his charisma affected our love for him or whatever but lisn to the songs, he can hav a really high pitched voice for a minute, and the next minute, he has a really low pitched voice...

but its ur opinion... so watever..

There are many to choose from:

Axl Rose: For attitude and the good-old can't-take-your-eyes-off-him-charisma.

Sebastian Bach: Amazing voice and can rock smaller venues with ease.

Vince Neil: King of Sleaze

Miljenko Matijevic: For pure range this guy is teh-r0x0rz!

Rob Halford: WAAAAAAIAIIIIAIIIIIIL!

Trent Reznor: Excellent live!

Michael Monroe: Unbelievable power-bunny on stage. Surprise he hasn't got himself killed.

and the list goes on...