Sympathy for the Devil is not a satanic song.

adnan

Guest JohnUlmer

It was written at a Seance and it is Pro-Satanism

Even Jagger's explanations counter that.

Look at my explanation, how can a song structured in that sense be satanic? It really doesn't make us like the devil.

Then how do you explain the riots?

`

It wasn't written at a seance. :rolleyes:

Taken from www.freewebs.com/IamMickJagger:

""We were into that black magic shit and we happened to be shit faced, so we dusted to old Ouiji Board off and contacted the other world. We then wrote about our experiences which was first called "The Day we spoke to Chairman Mao." We though, that title won't eventually make us enough money to buy an island, let's call it "SYmpathy For the Devil." That, Stones fans is how we wrote about our satanic experiences. We do think he's a good bloke after conversing with him through the medium of Ouiji."

So there.

Taken from www.freewebs.com/IamMickJagger:

""We were into that black magic shit and we happened to be shit faced, so we dusted to old Ouiji Board off and contacted the other world. We then wrote about our experiences which was first called "The Day we spoke to Chairman Mao." We though, that title won't eventually make us enough money to buy an island, let's call it "SYmpathy For the Devil." That, Stones fans is how we wrote about our satanic experiences. We do think he's a good bloke after conversing with him through the medium of Ouiji."

So there.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

The funniest (and most ridiculous) thing I've ever heard.

Not a single correct post here as to the real story behind this song.

The real explanation is as follows.

Marianne Faithful gave her boyfriend Mick Jagger a copy of a novel called the Master and Margarita by Russian novelist Mikhail Bulgakov. It is set in Russia during the revolution and is about Satan visting the place at the time. An excellent book. Jagger was inspired and then came up with Sympathy for the Devil some of the lyrics directly reference the details of the book.

Who gives a shit whether it is to do with Satan. Fucking bible bashers :devil:

Marianne Faithful gave her boyfriend Mick Jagger a copy of a novel called the Master and Margarita by Russian novelist Mikhail Bulgakov. It is set in Russia during the revolution and is about Satan visting the place at the time. An excellent book. Jagger was inspired and then came up with Sympathy for the Devil some of the lyrics directly reference the details of the book.

Yes, he refers to that book in the song. Still, the meaning behind the song is that humans are evil, which has been pointed out earlier in the thread.

I like JohnUlmer's interpretation, the way I've always seen it though was that evil can arise from unusual and misleading entities and that things aren't always as black and white as they seem. Take the opening samba-esque jungle drumming getting interrupted by the western classical-esque piano. Followed by "Please allow me to introduce myself", the polite introduction from a man who then leads on to describe the vile actions of the things he's done.

I'd like to play that song live in a church.

I don't care if the acoustics would be terrible.

Yes.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
I like JohnUlmer's interpretation, the way I've always seen it though was that evil can arise from unusual and misleading entities and that things aren't always as black and white as they seem. Take the opening samba-esque jungle drumming getting interrupted by the western classical-esque piano. Followed by "Please allow me to introduce myself", the polite introduction from a man who then leads on to describe the vile actions of the things he's done.

I'd like to play that song live in a church.

I don't care if the acoustics would be terrible.

Yes.

Amen :lol:

And I love the piano, Nicky Hopkins :wub: .

I would like to read the aforementioned novel, is it heavily circulated?

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
There are many editions available on Amazon for as little as 6 bucks, and my public library has 5 copies, so yeah, I should imagine it's fairly easy to find.

I may check it out, I don't read enough.

Thanks.

Guest JohnUlmer

That's just the inspiration for the song. The link I posted discusses the novel, btw.

Keith said this once, in my own words 'cause I can't find the thing:

The song is a comparison of Lucifer and people. Everyone is blaming Lucifer on the disgraces that happen on the world, while really, it was ourselves who did it. Who killed Kennedy? Us. Who made wars? Us. And they're blaming it on the devil. Hence, Sympathy for the Devil.

EDIT: Oops, Mick said it!

Edited by Yamisonic