The Blues - Which version do you prefer?

DV_007

Okay I don't know if I am right when I say this: There are two versions of The Blues (best new song btw :P ).

Version 1: Rock in Rio III, 2001. My favourite, very powerful and yeah... great! ;)

Version 2: The 2002 tour version. Feels softer and well not as powerful... I don't know why?

My favourite is RIR 2001.

And a question: Did they do any more concerts exept from RIR, 2001? If not, I guess the 2002 version is the "real one" while it was performed many more times!

Your opinions & thoughts?

I like both, but i prefer Rio version - it was played faster, and it sounded better, eventhough Axl had problem with that ear-thing through the whole song....

It was also performed in HOB 1/1/01 :) If you wanna have itt, check unlimited DL audio section or PM me..

[m.]

The song is a really good song but its the ending that really blows me away and the quality of the ending generally affects the overall influence the song has on me

First time i heard the song was the RIR3 version and i loved it and kept listening to the end where its a bit cleaner the end scream

Then i heard it at MSG with a slight rasp and it sounded so much more epic to me and i preferred it for ages

Then recently i listened to the RIR3 again and i think i might prefer that one now

So basically, either way i'll love it

The song blew me away when I saw them in Pittsburgh. Especially when Axl jumps up on the piano. Dizzy fucking owns this song.

I think it was better in 2002 thanks to Mr. Richard Fortus. The rio version was good - and funny cuz Axl kept getting mad at his sound people, but they nailed it especialy near the end of the 2002 tour.

You are definitely right dude. There is a variation in the live perfomances. One of them, not sure which, has

a keyboard/synth fill in it that comes in when he sings the slow verses, that I think absolutely makes the song great. I can't possibly describe the notes, but I think a lot of you guys know what I'm talking about.

I never liked slow songs that try to be too upbeat at certain points, and I think this song would be better served as a complete ballad, because of the keyboard fill I just mentioned and the beautiful piano in the beginning -

Yep the Boston one is great! It sounds very powerful (wow, first I said the 02 versions don't sound powerful :P, but this one does). Maybe it's something about the drum/bass, it's powerful! Axl sings very good on this one too!

Boston + RIR3 = favourites

It was also performed in HOB 1/1/01 If you wanna have itt, check unlimited DL audio section or PM me..

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out :)

The blues is one of my favorite.....

my favorite version of this tune remains RIR 3 and Boston 02...like someone said the Boston version seemed flawless.

nothing more to add..

lOVE

GODSPEED 'ARTSY' FRIEND

I hope the studio version will be a combination of the 01-01-01 Las Vegas version and the 2002 version.

The good thing of the Vegas version is that it is faster and has heavy guitar riffs, but the 2002 version had an extra outro solo and I liked Axl's voice better, too. He had more rasp, for example in Boston 2002.

' date='Apr 23 2006, 11:59 AM' post='1246156']

I like both, but i prefer Rio version - it was played faster, and it sounded better, eventhough Axl had problem with that ear-thing through the whole song....

It was also performed in HOB 1/1/01 :) If you wanna have itt, check unlimited DL audio section or PM me..

[m.]

No it wasn't. They had some tech difficulties in the middle of the show and didn't play it. That's the only of the new songs from the first tour that I didn't get to see before all of you suckers.

Maybe you mean the 1/1/02 show in Vegas?

Edited by eschman

I have HOB 1/1/01 bootleg and it's on the list :o :xmasssanta: As 20th song, after Brain's solo they meant to play it, but they had some technical problems ... before that Axl says "I think you'll like this.... this is something called The Blues, featuring mr. Dizzy Reed who cant hear shit... it would be very nice if he could hear something, and probably make song better...." and then those tech problems and then "Let's do Patience, cause that's what i'm going to try to experience right now...." etc... then people start chanting "Welcome Back" and after Patience, chanting "Axl, Axl..." from the crowd and finally piano starts walking and then "this is called The Blues" and here we go...

So i think thats from 00 to 01 show... rock3

Edited by [mango[GNR]

I just listened to Vegas, Rio and Boston - Here are my thoughts

Vegas - I like how fast the song is - and I also like how he sing the last ...."only memories" part

Rio - Everytime I hear the Blues any version, I always expect to there the "ok nevermind" around the 215 min part. I think Axl should put that in the studio version. I think the overall song sounds so-so

Boston - I have to say this is the best version all together. Clean Crisp Song fuckin rock

Not the best, but one of GNR's best songs old and new