The Blues - Which version do you prefer?

DV_007

I think the song is better with a bit of a slower tempo. It's a ballad and just feels a bit more powerful that way. And as someone mentioned, the ending to the song is done better in the 2002 versions.

But I love the part in Rio, at about 50 seconds in, when Axl does that thing with his voice when he's on the word "you". It's kind of an echo effect. Sends chills up my spine!

The way it was playing in 2002 was the best.

Boston is probably the best of all 2002 performances as well. But I love the Albany and Toronto versions as well. In Toronto Axl lets out this huge scream,and at Albany he uses that rasp everyone loves.

I just listened to Vegas, Rio and Boston - Here are my thoughts

Vegas - I like how fast the song is - and I also like how he sing the last ...."only memories" part

Rio - Everytime I hear the Blues any version, I always expect to there the "ok nevermind" around the 215 min part. I think Axl should put that in the studio version. I think the overall song sounds so-so

Boston - I have to say this is the best version all together. Clean Crisp Song fuckin rock

Not the best, but one of GNR's best songs old and new

Yep, the "Okay nevermind" sounds good :P What was it? Was he angry on the crew guys? I like that better because then it's just "Don't know...". The others are "I don't know..." which sounds less good IMO. Because that "I" comes in wrong way. Ah well, hard to explain.

It's pretty funny in the beginning of RIR the blues when Axl gets pissed off on that crew guy ;)

Yeah, the "Ok, Never Mind!" bit was because he was pissed at the sound guys for being slow to fix something. In the video of that performance you can see him gesturing to someone offstage-I guess they didn't get to it fast enough for him.

Boston was a great show, and has my favorite performances of Chinese Democracy and Madagascar, but my favorite version of The Blues is from Osaka. His voice sounds amazingly clear and powerfule, especially on this song. I reccomend this version if you can find it.

the rio ones the one where hes like "ok never mind" right?

thats the only one i can find and i got it on my ipod but i dont like it.

was the boston one the version where his voice is all raspy again and it kicks ass? (then i think he talks about british columbia i havent heard it in a while)

i like the version thats on the online radio on newgnr.com.

if anyone has that one PM it to me, i hate the one i got

I agree - I just listened to Osaka and that is the best recorded version of the Blues. It's seems like the band was 100% on target - It's also funny how the assholes in the crowd yell Izzy and Slash's name in the first 3 seconds and Axl says "Fuuuck Yooouuuu!!"

Classic

Okay I don't know if I am right when I say this: There are two versions of The Blues (best new song btw :P ).

Version 1: Rock in Rio III, 2001. My favourite, very powerful and yeah... great! ;)

Version 2: The 2002 tour version. Feels softer and well not as powerful... I don't know why?

My favourite is RIR 2001.

And a question: Did they do any more concerts exept from RIR, 2001? If not, I guess the 2002 version is the "real one" while it was performed many more times!

Your opinions & thoughts?

I like the versions from Cleveland & Pittsburgh 2002. (It's hard to keep them all straight)

I don't care for the Rock in Rio version because Axl has all these monitor problems and shouts

"Ok fine forget it!" after the first verse. Sort of kills the mood!

There's a couple fan made remixes of the 2002 live versions that are great. They remove a lot of the crowd noise. "The Blues" is an amazing song. It's like Axl's new November Rain. I'm guessing the live version will be better than the studio one. Just like with NR.

My favorite bootleg of The Blues is Pittsburgh, just because the quality of the recording is so good and Axl was real good that night.

In terms of the fast version versus the slow version, I prefer the fast one but we haven't heard what that sounds like with the orchestration added in like it was with the American leg of the 2002 tour. Also, all the fast versions recorded have some kind of fuckup (the silence in the middle of Vegas, and the sound problems around "OK Nevermind" in Rio).

Of the two fast ones we've heard, I like the ending to Vegas better than the ending to Rio.

Love both versions. Kinda prefer the slow one, as it fits the mood of the song better. But, perhaps if we're lucky, with all the versions Axl has probably recorded of each song, someday we'll get to hear studio versions of both.

Cheeseball note: Saw them at their last show (MSG '02) a few months after a bad breakup and literally a day before seeing the girl who said breakup was with. "What I thought was beautiful was only memories." That line killed me for days afterward.