SCOM - Big Daddy

Howard2k

As far as I'm concerned that's the 'Live Era' version of the song. Axl sounds absoloutely dreadful in it. On that newgnr website click the part where it's 'Axl's studio singing of Sweet Child'. I don't know how they got that but he does sound pretty damn good there.

Um, dude - they got the studio part from the second half of the Big Daddy version.

...And it's definately not the version on Live Era.

My theory is that the track is entirely "new Axl" singing - the vocals for the entire track are re-recorded. The backing music of the first half is a sped up recording of Paris '92, and the second half is all the new band studio.

I'm pretty damn sure that i'm right too. It sounds like the studio Axl from the Oh My God era, IMO. He didn't really sing like that in the old days.

EDIT: I agree with you about the way the song was often sung live, particularly on the Illusions tours - he never recaptured the original honestly and meaning behind the song. Often sounded like he was just "going through the motions" if you ask me.

Some of the earlier performances are quite good though - you can tell he means what he's singing.

Edited by highvoltageacdc

As far as I'm concerned that's the 'Live Era' version of the song. Axl sounds absoloutely dreadful in it. On that newgnr website click the part where it's 'Axl's studio singing of Sweet Child'. I don't know how they got that but he does sound pretty damn good there.

Um, dude - they got the studio part from the second half of the Big Daddy version.

...And it's definately not the version on Live Era.

My theory is that the track is entirely "new Axl" singing - the vocals for the entire track are re-recorded. The backing music of the first half is a sped up recording of Paris '92, and the second half is all the new band studio.

I'm pretty damn sure that i'm right too. It sounds like the studio Axl from the Oh My God era, IMO. He didn't really sing like that in the old days.

EDIT: I agree with you about the way the song was often sung live, particularly on the Illusions tours - he never recaptured the original honestly and meaning behind the song. Often sounded like he was just "going through the motions" if you ask me.

Some of the earlier performances are quite good though - you can tell he means what he's singing.

Yeah I just heard the second part of that song there the now. He sounds like Marilyn Manson or something at the 'Where do we go?' part. I couldn't believe what I was hearing - But it seemed like typical Axl with the sharp pointless intakes of breath.

Yeah I just heard the second part of that song there the now. He sounds like Marilyn Manson or something at the 'Where do we go?' part. I couldn't believe what I was hearing - But it seemed like typical Axl with the sharp pointless intakes of breath.

But you just said he sounded good in the studio bit on newgnr.com...

On that newgnr website click the part where it's 'Axl's studio singing of Sweet Child'. I don't know how they got that but he does sound pretty damn good there.

The Big Daddy studio bit is where they got that from. So you don't like it now, or... :unsure::question:

But you just said he sounded good in the studio bit on newgnr.com...

On that newgnr website click the part where it's 'Axl's studio singing of Sweet Child'. I don't know how they got that but he does sound pretty damn good there.

The Big Daddy studio bit is where they got that from. So you don't like it now, or... :unsure::question:

I never realised that was the same clip. :unsure: It doesn't have the 'Where do we go' part on the 'Studio Clip' on Newgnr.com - I just heard that part there the now. Also I never said he sounded bad on that part he just sounds very odd... I'll give it another listen. ;)

There was a new version of SCOM for the Big Daddy soundtrack. The first part of the song is "old GNR" playing live. The second part of the song is "new GNR" (circa 1999).

If you have the Big Daddy version throw it on and have a good listen.

Aaaanyway. You can download it from http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/audio/

And the switchover point comes with the ascending run of notes, when the wah pedal kicks in.

SG

The clip about the internet is hilarious! The impressions Axl does :rofl-lol:

Edited by GNR'R

I´ve just heard the Big Daddy´s version for the first time! It´s not that bad although I prefer the original from AFD.I find it a bit odd, maybe when I get used to it I´ll like it more but for now I prefer the old one.

I just heard it for the first time, too, and I think the entire vocal mix is pretty horrendous. It sounds like *I* could have mixed it on my PC, back when I was bad at mixing. "Hmmm... the vocals don't sound right... maybe I should add more reverb."

Edited by Tkkyj

Guest Matt13
Im guessing where Axl sings the different studio quality part of "Where do we go?" ???

Instrumentally, yes. Axl lays his 'new' voice over the whole track though.

Wow, the origional SCOM is so much better. Axl sounds more like Axl at the end of this one, I could have sworn the first part (before the solo) was my friend trying to sound like Axl.

Having not seen Big Daddy, I first thought it was Sandler doing an Axl impression... and a pretty lousy one.